Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2018, 09:25 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
My son has had a brand new '16 Altima. I have driven it and there is no problem. The CVT is just fine. My other son has a Q50 that I suspect has the CVT too. No issues there either. People often repeat what they read on the internet and pass it on as their personal experience.
To say I'm, lying is quite uncaring of you. I'm not going to waste time posting a situation if it's not really pertaining to me. Just you wait, it might happen to your sons' cars too. This didn't happen w/ mine when it was that new too. If you'd look at all the people's posts in the links I posted, you'd see that it must happen to enough people, including me & that's just on one website.

The warranty's been extended to ALL owners of 2003 - 2010 of various models to 10 yrs or 120K miles. I will have had my car 10 yrs in Sept, but I think it's more than 120K by now if I had to take a good guess. I'm thinking 130K something, but I'll be able to walk over and down to my garage later today.

Here's a video perfectly showing problem #1 for the same 2009 model I have that I talked about above & there was a very brief time about (15 min) I was going uphill & downhill too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL3jgBTuis8

This shows problem #2, but this car's 8 yrs newer than mine (so a 2016, the same as YOUR son's) & I don't make hard stops myself. For me, it was a 3-7 sec delay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhViF_Jc6ms
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 09:28 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
Quote:
My son has had a brand new '16 Altima. I have driven it and there is no problem. The CVT is just fine. My other son has a Q50 that I suspect has the CVT too. No issues there either. People often repeat what they read on the internet and pass it on as their personal experience.
How many miles do they have on them? Thanks for your post.

I would really like to like Nissan, if that makes sense, because they give more value for the money than does Toyota and gawd forbid you buy a Honda they are so damn $$$.

BTW how is the 0-60MPH and overall acceleration on Altima, I see they accelerate quite fast sometimes off the line. It would be cool to have a fast, somewhat sporty sedan.

My GF's Rogue is nice now, but has too many blind spots for me.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:34 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
To say I'm, lying is quite uncaring of you.
I really wasn't addressing your post. Who am I to say what you did or did not experience? You had a story, I had a story. That's all.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:36 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post

BTW how is the 0-60MPH and overall acceleration on Altima, I see they accelerate quite fast sometimes off the line. It would be cool to have a fast, somewhat sporty sedan.

My GF's Rogue is nice now, but has too many blind spots for me.
I think it's pretty snappy. The engine is noisier than I like when pressed but it is a 4.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:47 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
My son has had a brand new '16 Altima. I have driven it and there is no problem. The CVT is just fine.
Well I would hope so being that it’s only 2 years old. Report back in about 4 more years, or when the car approaches 100k miles.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:48 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
Quote:
I think it's pretty snappy. The engine is noisier than I like when pressed but it is a 4.
Thanks cool sometimes having an noisy engine is really cool like the noise the Civic SI makes when it winds out the RPMs.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Well I would hope so being that it’s only 2 years old. Report back in about 4 more years, or when the car approaches 100k miles.
Yes, you said it!

And I know it's NOT my doing. I take good care of my cars. I had a 1993 Honda Civic before this bought new that I got at 18 & had it 17 yrs before it was still in good condition to still be sold to someone else.

CORRECTION: My mileage is only 74,740 so they should be able to fix this.

Last edited by Forever Blue; 07-16-2018 at 11:22 AM..

Old 07-16-2018, 01:26 PM

Also look at these. This is regarding a 2013 Altima (parts 1 & 2):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcsBSGdJ54M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts4Sb4PRv3k

Old 08-10-2018, 04:35 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
Quote:
There are some/few/many on this board that do not change their automatic transmission fluid.
Some think that automatic transmission fluid is "lifetime". Whatever that means.

The CVT is different. The owners manual should be read and followed. Sadly, few ever read the manual.

As time goes buy, these CVT's will enter the used car market. Good luck to those folks.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:10 AM

712 posts, read 530,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
There are some/few/many on this board that do not change their automatic transmission fluid.
Some think that automatic transmission fluid is "lifetime". Whatever that means.

The CVT is different. The owners manual should be read and followed. Sadly, few ever read the manual.

As time goes buy, these CVT's will enter the used car market. Good luck to those folks.
Nonsense. Even with changing fluid every 50k you're still going to get problems. If you don't then you got lucky. Nissan CVT is simply a junk design that was designed to meet fuel economy standards. It's a snowmobile tranny. Nissan would NEVER extend a warranty to 120k if there wasn't a problem. Lawsuits forced it.

You think nissan does NOT want to sell services like a tranny flush?

I'll give you the owners manual. It's considered LIFETIME.

http://x.nissanhelp.com/service/2009_service_guide.pdf
"Transmission Fluid/Oil, Differential
Oil, Transfer Case Oil
Visually inspect for signs of leakage at
specified intervals. If towing a trailer,
using a camper or car–top carrier, or
driving on rough or muddy roads, replace
the fluid/oil every 30,000 miles or 24
months (60,000 miles for Murano, Altima,
Altima Coupe, Maxima, Rogue, Sentra,
and Versa CVT fluid). Automatic transmission
fluid for 370Z is maintenancefree"

So basically change every 60k ONLY if towing or driving on muddy roads. Who tows with an altima? LOL Many have failed before 60k. The people who engineered the transmission came up with this service schedule and it's not like dealers don't want to sell services. It's a garbage design that has higher failure rates than traditional automatics. If you want a car to last to 150k-200k without a tranny failure don't even think about a nissan cvt. Also people follow the same pattern of changing/not changing transmission fluid in all vehicles yet cvt has a higher failure rate. Clearly the cvt is not tough or built to last.

Trust me, if lack of maintenance was the reason for these failures than nissan would blame you and use that to avoid paying for a new transmission when a warranty claim is made.

I don't know what it is with internet posters who try to blame car owners for a bad problem with a car. Reminds of the toyota unintended accleration problem. All these idiots talking about switching into neutral ect. They just want to feel superior. That's all. Properly desinged vehicle would never do that. It was a software problem. Bad design and can cause an accident because you might not even have time to put it into neutral or even potentially not being able to switch to neutral since everything is controlled by computer with no hydaulic override.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti