Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 07:21 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,207,218 times

Advertisements

Better to kick a person when they are down. They are less likely to be able to get up and whop your butt. Plus there is the old pecking instinct at play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 07:30 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,913,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I don't think that's really "kicking you when you're down". That sounds more like this person didn't know how to handle or be supportive of something so traumatic in your life so they avoided you. They're called fair-weather friends - they don't mean any harm, they just run away from things they don't know how to deal with. It hurts but that's not really their intent.
That's true. It's always better to say something even if it sounds awkward or makes you feel uncomfortable to say it, than it is to just avoid the friend and say nothing at all, but some people get so hung up on saying the right thing that they end up saying nothing.

Also, if it was an email that didn't get a response, have you considered that maybe the person's computer isn't working, internet is down, they're ill, too busy to check email, etc...lots of reasons why an email might go unanswered for a day or two.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:58 AM

5,546 posts, read 10,011,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
Better to kick a person when they are down. They are less likely to be able to get up and whop your butt. Plus there is the old pecking instinct at play.
What is that old pecking instinct?

Old 05-11-2011, 08:03 AM

Well, here is my theory. My theory is that they are cowards who use the opportunity to release some of their anger towards you when you are in the most vulnerable position or least able position to deal with it.

In my cases, the three (minus the email deal), these people were actually angry with me. My sister had some long standing resentments she finally threw my way and the other two were angry at me for grieving. Well, when someone dies that IS what someone does. My one friend even told me he was angry with me when my dad died. It's like I wasn't supposed to feel bad.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:14 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,207,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
What is that old pecking instinct?
You do not know why chickens are de-beaked?

Old 05-11-2011, 08:15 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,770,209 times
sometimes people are down

and they grab you and try to pull you down with them

so you kick them to get them off of you, and get on with your life.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
You do not know why chickens are de-beaked?
lol, ok, no I do not.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
sometimes people are down

and they grab you and try to pull you down with them

so you kick them to get them off of you, and get on with your life.
That's another interesting theory. So what you're saying is that when someone is having a tough time and needs their friends or whomever, their friends want to not get pulled down with them, so they kick them further down to get rid of them? That would seem to be substantiated because in the middle of my dad's whole hospice thing my one GF told me she was going to have to not talk to me as much. And I know she was angry with me as her mom died younger than my dad. Go figure.

Last edited by mistygrl092; 05-11-2011 at 08:35 AM..

Old 05-11-2011, 08:29 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,484,376 times
Negative events and tragedies are hard for people to handle in a supportive way - they often have little or no experience with it, so react inappropriately or not at all. They may not want to even hear about unpleasant situations, so find it easier to push you away (kick you) than reach down to lift you up.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:34 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,770,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
That's another interesting theory. So what you're saying is that when someone is having a tough time and needs their friends or whomever, their friends want to not get pulled down with them, so they kick them further down to get rid of them?
I'm not talking about friends. At least, not friends from that point forward.

But yes, that's what I'm saying. People will usually help out a person who "needs their friends", but there are limits to how far that ticket goes. And we all know there's 2 sides to each story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships