Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 04:54 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
. . .

Lastly if someone wants to get your information, they can. Safety on the internet is an illusion.
Maybe if you are female but not pretty, and you own nothing, can afford nothing, and do not have a position at work or in society that can have much influence on anything, posting on social media is safe, because it will not attract the attention of unscrupulous people.

Other than that, it is just too easy to make a slip here and there.

Are people so desperate for friends that they would risk being targets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 12:07 PM

19,723 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Quote:

Another thing I noticed when they switched to timeline was that a lot of "private" was changed to public and you would have to go back and manually adjust all posts. Don't know if its still that way. But when timeline came out it was.
I was able to avoid getting the timeline altogether. lol

But I remember when people were switching last year, they shared that bit of info about everything suddenly being public. (my friends are always on top of things! )

Plus I always check my settings regularly to make sure everything is set to where I need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia
Lastly if someone wants to get your information, they can. Safety on the internet is an illusion.
That's definitely true.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:52 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I was able to avoid getting the timeline altogether. lol

But I remember when people were switching last year, they shared that bit of info about everything suddenly being public. (my friends are always on top of things! )

Plus I always check my settings regularly to make sure everything is set to where I need it.

That's definitely true.

Nice to see another confirmation of a facebook failure. That one in particular was so bad I thought I lost it for a minute and it was a manual change. Not an automatic one. Make sure you clear your cache fully when you do checks check. An old page can load false info.

I suggest doing in manually with your browser tools. Then close browser. Then do a follow up with piriform CCleaner (free) set to the 35 overpass clean. Restart. Clean again. Make sure you have your system set to delete files that are less than 24 hours old as well. Default is usually set to keep files that are 24 hours old or less. Also clear your registry with the cleaner.

Check for windows updates after cleaning. Scan.
Review your task manager for any suspicious activity.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:05 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastthemiddle View Post
Just curious.

I created a FB profile once only to get in touch with a former employer and dismantled it right after I made contact. I have no interest in social media, don't want anyone to "find" me or connect with old acquaintances. I figure, if I want to keep in touch I can call/email/text whatever. If I have lost touch, its usually intentional.

I am not a technophobe, I just don't see the point. Anyone have a similar POV? Or, am I missing something truly fantastic and I just don't get what that is?
I started working in a very innovative and large educational computer center in the mid-70s. Even those of us on the adminstrative side usually got the best of what was new. And mucho years later I retired having been among the ranks of the earliest Children of the Internet, if you will.

I too find email fulfills all my needs for keeping in touch, sending photos, etc. I do have a web site, but it has nothing to do with my everyday personal life.

I find the current rage for "friending" pathetically sad to the point of puke-inducing. Yes, I know some families that use FB, etc. to keep in touch, but from what I have seen the great herd of social networkers are a race of mental midgets.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:19 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
It can take longer than a few hours. Read on:

Backuptape has a life of 10-30 years. Just because its not on the server facebook connected the original link to does not mean its gone. It also doesn't cover other sites harvesting it.

Also note:
"While you are allowing us to use the information we receive about you, you always own all of your information. Your trust is important to us, which is why we don't share information we receive about you with others unless we have:
  • received your permission;
  • given you notice, such as by telling you about it in this policy; or
  • removed your name or any other personally identifying information from it.

Of course, for information others share about you, they control how it is shared."

"
Deletion

When you delete an account, it is permanently deleted from Facebook. It typically takes about one month to delete an account, but some information may remain in backup copies and logs for up to 90 days. You should only delete your account if you are sure you never want to reactivate it. You can delete your account here. Learn more.
Certain information is needed to provide you with services, so we only delete this information after you delete your account. Some of the things you do on Facebook aren't stored in your account, like posting to a group or sending someone a message (where your friend may still have a message you sent, even after you delete your account). That information remains after you delete your account."

When you agree to the terms on the site you are basically on for whatever policy change they want to make.

Wrong:

"
Other information we receive about you

We also receive other types of information about you:
  • We receive data about you whenever you interact with Facebook, such as when you look at another person's timeline, send or receive a message, search for a friend or a Page, click on, view or otherwise interact with things, use a Facebook mobile app, or purchase Facebook Credits or make other purchases through Facebook.
  • When you post things like photos or videos on Facebook, we may receive additional related data (or metadata), such as the time, date, and place you took the photo or video.
  • We receive data from the computer, mobile phone or other device you use to access Facebook, including when multiple users log in from the same device. This may include your IP address and other information about things like your internet service, location, the type (including identifiers) of browser you use, or the pages you visit. For example, we may get your GPS or other location information so we can tell you if any of your friends are nearby.
  • We receive data whenever you visit a game, application, or website that uses Facebook Platform or visit a site with a Facebook feature (such as a social plugin), sometimes through cookies. This may include the date and time you visit the site; the web address, or URL, you're on; technical information about the IP address, browser and the operating system you use; and, if you are logged in to Facebook, your User ID.
  • Sometimes we get data from our advertising partners, customers and other third parties that helps us (or them) deliver ads, understand online activity, and generally make Facebook better. For example, an advertiser may tell us information about you (like how you responded to an ad on Facebook or on another site) in order to measure the effectiveness of - and improve the quality of - ads.

We also put together data from the information we already have about you and your friends. For example, we may put together data about you to determine which friends we should show you in your News Feed or suggest you tag in the photos you post. We may put together your current city with GPS and other location information we have about you to, for example, tell you and your friends about people or events nearby, or offer deals to you that you might be interested in. We may also put together data about you to serve you ads that might be more relevant to you.
When we get your GPS location, we put it together with other location information we have about you (like your current city). But we only keep it until it is no longer useful to provide you services, like keeping your last GPS coordinates to send you relevant notifications.

We only provide data to our advertising partners or customers after we have removed your name or any other personally identifying information from it, or have combined it with other people's data in a way that it is no longer associated with you."

All info from:
Data Use Policy | Facebook

I don't believe they are always on top of it with removing data either. There was a phase where people were getting a lot of junk email from facebook use without the use of games etc. Just a plain account with email listed as private. Hmmm...
You have to read the posts you are responding to. Everything you said in response to my post is out of scope. We're talking about accessibility. Not permanent deletion.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:21 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Same for me.
The irony... people posting that they will never use a social media site on a social media site.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:17 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The irony... people posting that they will never use a social media site on a social media site.
Perhaps it is a social contact, but it is not anything like facebook and twitter and the like. Long long before message boards existed. As used today, 'social media site' is something like face book, myspace, etc. It's you personal space to share. This is a discussion board. Way different. If this is the same then those long lists of comments on Yahoo articles make it social media too.

Notice when threads happen where someone wants a picture how few actually post them? It's because most people do not want to. And I don't see any 'real names' either. I don't do chat rooms where you can't chat with the same anomolily either.

Not every point of contact on the net is automatically a social media site. This board is here so people can discuss things. FB is there so people can meet people. Different idea entirely.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Not every point of contact on the net is automatically a social media site. This board is here so people can discuss things. FB is there so people can meet people. Different idea entirely.
Not really.

It's still people sharing personal information about themselves with others. To what extent is up to the poster, be it here, FB, Twitter, or whatever.

All FB does is put a name with a face (but not always) and if your friend list is tightly knit, then no problem.

IMO, People share waaaay more personal information about themselves on C-D!!

Old 06-17-2012, 04:19 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Not really.

It's still people sharing personal information about themselves with others. To what extent is up to the poster, be it here, FB, Twitter, or whatever.

All FB does is put a name with a face (but not always) and if your friend list is tightly knit, then no problem.

IMO, People share waaaay more personal information about themselves on C-D!!
Most of the sites I go to, all I ever enter is a user name and email address. No name. The email address is never shown. I have NO trust in something like Facebook or the like having a security failure and letting the information become available. I know how many holes and backdoors are built into systems.

I wouldn't trust a 'friend list' to be 'tightly controlled' sufficent to have one. The most I'd do on something like that is a blank page with a message to send me a personal message if you thought I was an old friend giving information about yourself. If you don't hear from me, then you aren't. No pictures... This would be IF it could be set up without the name.

I know too many people in cyber security who dismiss all these 'safeguards' and don't have facebook accounts either.

Yes, people share a lot, but there is NO name attached. No picture. And there is a lot which is never mentioned. And its in context with a discussion where personal experience can lend a point of view.

If facebook would allow one to sign on with a screen name, no real name stored it would be fine. But I'm a very private person, and for me, nightbird is the expression of who I am outside that bubble, and is usually what friends met online call me.

What I hate is when people want me to look at their pictures, but as its on facebook I can't... and then I keep getting all these emails from Fb to joing which got it put in trash.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Most of the sites I go to, all I ever enter is a user name and email address. No name. The email address is never shown. I have NO trust in something like Facebook or the like having a security failure and letting the information become available. I know how many holes and backdoors are built into systems.

I wouldn't trust a 'friend list' to be 'tightly controlled' sufficent to have one. The most I'd do on something like that is a blank page with a message to send me a personal message if you thought I was an old friend giving information about yourself. If you don't hear from me, then you aren't. No pictures... This would be IF it could be set up without the name.

I know too many people in cyber security who dismiss all these 'safeguards' and don't have facebook accounts either.

Yes, people share a lot, but there is NO name attached. No picture. And there is a lot which is never mentioned. And its in context with a discussion where personal experience can lend a point of view.

If facebook would allow one to sign on with a screen name, no real name stored it would be fine. But I'm a very private person, and for me, nightbird is the expression of who I am outside that bubble, and is usually what friends met online call me.

What I hate is when people want me to look at their pictures, but as its on facebook I can't... and then I keep getting all these emails from Fb to joing which got it put in trash.

Hey it's cool. I'm not trying to convince you of anything, one way or the other. People should only do what they're comfortable with online.

I'm very private as well, I guess my fb experience is obviously very different than what some people assume the "general fb experience" is all about. No one size fits all, and that's a good thing!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships