Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 12:39 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
yes they are just stories, it's called the news. :P
Sure. Fifty years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 12:41 PM

374 posts, read 812,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Your grandma sounds like an interesting lady. I wasnt aware women could hold those jobs back then. My grandma wasnt near that interesting, but whe was definately NOT docile and submissive.
This was in the 90's when she was in her 50's and 60's. I'm not as old as I sound, haha.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:43 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Sure. Fifty years ago.

That's funny because I could've sworn 2008 was a few years ago.

Mississippi School Holds First Interracial Prom : NPR

That's just one example, there's more and they weren't 50 years ago either.....

Old 06-28-2012, 01:03 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,318 times
Quote:

Also, here's this.
Prom Night in Mississippi-THEATRICAL TRAILER - YouTube

Old 06-28-2012, 01:43 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
I read a story a few months ago about an uproar over a high school's allowance of "interracial prom couples." Stories like that don't help your case that the south is suddenly "forward thinking."
After reading the article and watching the video it didnt appear to me an uproar over interracial prom couples. Seems the school didnt sponsor any prom so parents organized private proms. Black parents and white parents. This was the first year a SCHOOL prom was held. Not denying racism in MS. but you will find that anywhere.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:53 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,142,705 times
I just can't believe that Mississippi barely integrated their schools in 1970!

Old 06-28-2012, 01:57 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
I don't stereotype Southern women as docile or submissive. I've never really made that connection.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:

Well, given how many interracial couples I know in my part of the world who enjoy normal lives without harassment or being shunned by their neighbors, I think the sum of your knowledge on the South wouldn't fit on the head of a pin. But, since you've decided to cherry pick news stories, why don't we trot out similar incidents that happen in enlightened places like....New Jersey?

Teen arrested in Wal-Mart racial announcement incident - CNN

African-American Employees Suing NJ Company | NBC 10 Philadelphia

N.J. faults Franklin Twp. school board in racial bullying case - Philly.com

Racist Threats at NJ University Warn Student: "You Will Die" | NBC New York

Old 06-28-2012, 02:40 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, given how many interracial couples I know in my part of the world who enjoy normal lives without harassment or being shunned by their neighbors, I think the sum of your knowledge on the South wouldn't fit on the head of a pin. But, since you've decided to cherry pick news stories, why don't we trot out similar incidents that happen in enlightened places like....New Jersey?

Teen arrested in Wal-Mart racial announcement incident - CNN

African-American Employees Suing NJ Company | NBC 10 Philadelphia

N.J. faults Franklin Twp. school board in racial bullying case - Philly.com

Racist Threats at NJ University Warn Student: "You Will Die" | NBC New York

Did I say there weren't interracial couples in the south? No. Did I say I was an expert on Southern Living? No. Did I say NJ was the quintessential place for interracial relations? No. The OP wasn't about NJ it was about the south. I expressed my opinion as to what the OP was asking and why I THINK PEOPLE/WOMEN are thought of the way they are in the south. Apparently I'm not the only one who has drawn a conclusion on why this may be. I chose a news story highlighting my views on the OP. Also, I chose that story because you claimed these stories I was talking about must've been from 1950s. Clearly they weren't. So in other words, I was answering the question that was asked. I don't even have a problem with the south personally. (Many members of my family do, but that's another thread).

Secondly "my knowledge of the south" would fit on the head of a pin and then some because if you did your reading in the thread you would know that my entire family is from where? New Jersey -- no.

THE SOUTH.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Did I say there weren't interracial couples in the south? No. Did I say I was an expert on Southern Living? No. Did I say NJ was the quintessential place for interracial relations? No. The OP wasn't about NJ it was about the south. I expressed my opinion as to what the OP was asking and why I THINK PEOPLE/WOMEN are thought of the way they are in the south. Apparently I'm not the only one who has drawn a conclusion on why this may be. I chose a news story highlighting my views on the OP. Also, I chose that story because you claimed these stories I was talking about must've been from 1950s. Clearly they weren't. So in other words, I was answering the question that was asked. I don't even have a problem with the south personally. (Many members of my family do, but that's another thread).

Secondly "my knowledge of the south" would fit on the head of a pin and then some because if you did your reading in the thread you would know that my entire family is from where? New Jersey -- no.

THE SOUTH.
Look, you're the one who decided to add an entirely new dimension to the thread. The entire premise to the thread is whether Southern women are docile and submissive and you decided to make it about race relations.

So you read a news story or two and that ices it for you for an entire region. Given the news stories I cited, I guess that pretty much means that New Jersey is a bastion of knuckle-dragging bigots and intolerance. After all, according to the FBI, there are more hate crimes per capita in places such as California, New York, and New Jersey. than there are in places such as Alabama or South Carolina. Is it paradise? Heck no. But you to act like the place is like something out of Mississippi Burning shows how little you know. Given your pretty established track record for cynicism and bitterness on this board, you pretty much see what you want to see and disregard the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships