Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 03:24 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,210,483 times

Advertisements

OK folks.. this story is not about interracial dating or proms.

Please let's get back on the original topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 03:27 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,736,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Look, you're the one who decided to add an entirely new dimension to the thread. The entire premise to the thread is whether Southern women are docile and submissive and you decided to make it about race relations.

So you read a news story or two and that ices it for you for an entire region. Given the news stories I cited, I guess that pretty much means that New Jersey is a bastion of knuckle-dragging bigots and intolerance. After all, according to the FBI, there are more hate crimes per capita in places such as California, New York, and New Jersey. than there are in places such as Alabama or South Carolina. Is it paradise? Heck no. But you to act like the place is like something out of Mississippi Burning shows how little you know. Given your pretty established track record for cynicism and bitterness on this board, you pretty much see what you want to see and disregard the rest.

I didn't decide to make it about race relations. What part are you not getting? The OP talked about several scenarios as to why she does not fit the long held views in the south. Then she asked why do people hold these types of views/what is it based on? I STATED MY OPINION as to why I beleive people hold these types of views about women and people in the south overall. Got it? If not, that's just going to have to be too damn bad.

In your post you claimed the stories I was talking about came from the 1950s. I found a recent story combating that and -- you were WRONG. That's all there is to it. LOL. You are obviously taking issue with the fact that I said some negative things about the south, well so did the OP. But you don't chose to concentrate on that. I was not judging the entire region, instead offering my thoughts on why I think other parts of the country have the views that they do of the South. Where in the hell did I say it was like Mississippi Burning? Those are your words, as again, you missed where I said I don't have any personal issues with the south..... It is common knowledge (apparently to everyone except you) that people have attached "backward thinking" to many southern ways of life and traditions. Again, I didn't even say I follow that line of thinking I was simply venturing a guess as to why that is. Plain and simple.

I couldn't give a rat's as* what you think about my "reputation" on a message board, as if that is supposed to mean something of merit, LOL. A lot of these people on here regularly "disregard" what I say, so if I do the same to them, I guess it's even all the way around. If you don't like what I say, how I say it there's an easy solution for this -- use the ignore function or don't respond.

Otherwise, that's a problem you're going to have to solve on your own. My end of this stupid conversation is over. Goodbye.

Last edited by Doll Eyes; 06-28-2012 at 03:43 PM..

Old 06-28-2012, 03:30 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,949,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
I'm not the typical Southern woman by a long shot. I'm actually quite eccentric. I was born and raised in Georgia and have never left this area to live elsewhere, I do have a few cousins living in the Midwest, but I act nothing like the "typical" SOuthern woman.

Women in the South (generally) are bred to get married early and have their families. I recently got married (April) at a later age than most women down here (34). I have always been a free spirit and wondered if marriage was a good idea for me. I am not traditional, I am not family oriented like most women down here and like the idea of a nontraditional marriage.

I am childless by choice (which some Southerners would say is a grave sin, because you;re supposed to "be fruitful and multiply" which I say is taken out of context most of the time) and prefer animals. Right now I have 2 dogs (both are DHs but he told me that the small Chiweenie is mine) a 2 month old kitten, 2 Chinese dwarf hamsters, a Betta fish, some Danio fish, an African dwarf frog, and a hermit crab.

Im also New Age-y. I have never cared for the Christian conservative culture around here. The closest I have found to home is Virginia Beach which houses the ARE center founded by Edgar Cayce but that is a different story. Im mostly interested in Eastern religions. ie Buddhism.

Lastly I am a feminist and old school feminist like the movement that stated that women should pursue careers. I am totally that way. I think women need to focus on careers. I think careers csn be extremely fulfilling. I also think women should stop thinking they can have it all. If they want to be mothers, then fine. If they want to be career women, great too. But I think they need to focus on on ething because you don't get everything you want all at one time.

Generally in the South men get the door for women and my Dh does so but I kind of like the idea of getting my own door being a feminist and all.

In the past I've been told my personality is somewhat brusque. I think I have toned it down quite a bit, but am far from being your typical Southern belle. So what do I like about the South? The food is great and the architecture...but the culture I could do without. And the fact that we have two temperatires, hot and hotter.
Because "bless your heart" and "ok hon, see you around hon" beat the hell out of "what do you want?" I'll tell you one thing, when they see a man whom they find attractive, they are all over *that*. Women from say... New York City are too worried about your hair out of place and last weeks clothes that are out of style.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:12 PM

27,580 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Southern women are what all American women SHOULD be like.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:00 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,940,220 times
I never see Southern women being stereotyped as submissive, it's usually a quick tempered firecracker like Scarlett O'Hara or Peggy Hill. It's usually Stepford wife type women from the suburbs who are stereotyped that way.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:38 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
I grew up in Ct, live in Tn. The accents in mo opinion perpetuate the inaccurate stereotypes. Most southern women are quietly, and politely, assertive.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:03 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
If you guys watched more TV and movies you'd realize that it really does exist.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:21 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
If you guys watched more TV and movies you'd realize that it really does exist.

LOL. I grew up forced to watch shows like The Beverely Hillbillies, Green Acres, Peddicoat Junction (yes Im showing my age) so yes it does exist. Its amazing how some people not familiar with the south and its people actually believe those shows are real life.

Granted I have seen submissive, docile women in the south but they exist everywhere.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:42 AM

224 posts, read 828,571 times
Having grown up in South, moved and came back yes have to agree most, not all, Southern women over the age of say 35, are very docile and submissive. If you didn't get married at 18 and pop out some kids you are considered a freak at least in the rural areas where I live. (I still recall being 19 and teaching martial arts at this school and little kids asking me what was wrong with me and why I wasn't married and had kids yet. At 19!!!) I have yet to meet one other woman here my age without kids and at least one marriage in this area though in other states I've lived I knew plenty childless women who were even older. I think its the religion keeps most women submissive. One thing comes to mind is how Tennessee has twice been named the state with the highest domestic abuse rates against women, which I do see and hear a lot of so I can't dispute it, and I think a lot of naive country girls do get the crap knocked out of them till they become very submissive because of low self esteem. Guys are startled here to see me do anything independent-like such as I was told by a young man recently I was a "weirdo" because I am the only woman who works out at this rural gym and I fish alone and am a WOMAN. God forbid a woman be able to bait a hook on her own. I also get raised eyebrows from the neighbors for doing the simplest routine car maintenance. It is considered wrong if you are a woman in a rural town and do these things because girls are suppose to be stupid and unable to do anything but keep up the house, make babies and worry over their hair and nails. I don't mind doors being held open for me because that's better than the young guys that now slam them shut in your face lol and I try to hold doors open for others, both men and women, when I can. I love the courtesy of the older generation in some of the small towns where everyone is polite and will stop and talk to you, but I do hate being treated as a freak because I'm not a dumb broad.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:26 PM

791 posts, read 1,426,764 times
docile and very submissive women are everywhere.......usually they are divorced with 3 kids from three dads, on food stamps and looking for a sugardaddy....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships