Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 10:14 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,731,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
I'm not the typical Southern woman by a long shot. I'm actually quite eccentric. I was born and raised in Georgia and have never left this area to live elsewhere, I do have a few cousins living in the Midwest, but I act nothing like the "typical" SOuthern woman.

Women in the South (generally) are bred to get married early and have their families. I recently got married (April) at a later age than most women down here (34). I have always been a free spirit and wondered if marriage was a good idea for me. I am not traditional, I am not family oriented like most women down here and like the idea of a nontraditional marriage.

I am childless by choice (which some Southerners would say is a grave sin, because you;re supposed to "be fruitful and multiply" which I say is taken out of context most of the time) and prefer animals. Right now I have 2 dogs (both are DHs but he told me that the small Chiweenie is mine) a 2 month old kitten, 2 Chinese dwarf hamsters, a Betta fish, some Danio fish, an African dwarf frog, and a hermit crab.

Im also New Age-y. I have never cared for the Christian conservative culture around here. The closest I have found to home is Virginia Beach which houses the ARE center founded by Edgar Cayce but that is a different story. Im mostly interested in Eastern religions. ie Buddhism.

Lastly I am a feminist and old school feminist like the movement that stated that women should pursue careers. I am totally that way. I think women need to focus on careers. I think careers csn be extremely fulfilling. I also think women should stop thinking they can have it all. If they want to be mothers, then fine. If they want to be career women, great too. But I think they need to focus on on ething because you don't get everything you want all at one time.

Generally in the South men get the door for women and my Dh does so but I kind of like the idea of getting my own door being a feminist and all.

In the past I've been told my personality is somewhat brusque. I think I have toned it down quite a bit, but am far from being your typical Southern belle. So what do I like about the South? The food is great and the architecture...but the culture I could do without. And the fact that we have two temperatires, hot and hotter.
Well you answered your own question right there. They are seen as 'docile and submissive' because they follow traditional lifestyles, values, etc. Haven't you heard? Traditional anything isn't 'cool' anymore

My mother and most of my family was born and raised in Georgia and it seems like no matter what they do down there they are always looked at as 'backwards,' as compared to other parts of the U.S. A lot of people down there are perpetually stuck in the 60s. I read a story a few months ago about an uproar over a high school's allowance of "interracial prom couples." Stories like that don't help your case that the south is suddenly "forward thinking."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 10:21 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times
Southern women are very good at ruling the roost but letting us men think we do!

Old 06-28-2012, 10:47 AM

36,531 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
I'm not the typical Southern woman by a long shot. I'm actually quite eccentric. I was born and raised in Georgia and have never left this area to live elsewhere, I do have a few cousins living in the Midwest, but I act nothing like the "typical" SOuthern woman.

Women in the South (generally) are bred to get married early and have their families. I recently got married (April) at a later age than most women down here (34). I have always been a free spirit and wondered if marriage was a good idea for me. I am not traditional, I am not family oriented like most women down here and like the idea of a nontraditional marriage.

I am childless by choice (which some Southerners would say is a grave sin, because you;re supposed to "be fruitful and multiply" which I say is taken out of context most of the time) and prefer animals. Right now I have 2 dogs (both are DHs but he told me that the small Chiweenie is mine) a 2 month old kitten, 2 Chinese dwarf hamsters, a Betta fish, some Danio fish, an African dwarf frog, and a hermit crab.

Im also New Age-y. I have never cared for the Christian conservative culture around here. The closest I have found to home is Virginia Beach which houses the ARE center founded by Edgar Cayce but that is a different story. Im mostly interested in Eastern religions. ie Buddhism.

Lastly I am a feminist and old school feminist like the movement that stated that women should pursue careers. I am totally that way. I think women need to focus on careers. I think careers csn be extremely fulfilling. I also think women should stop thinking they can have it all. If they want to be mothers, then fine. If they want to be career women, great too. But I think they need to focus on on ething because you don't get everything you want all at one time.

Generally in the South men get the door for women and my Dh does so but I kind of like the idea of getting my own door being a feminist and all.

In the past I've been told my personality is somewhat brusque. I think I have toned it down quite a bit, but am far from being your typical Southern belle. So what do I like about the South? The food is great and the architecture...but the culture I could do without. And the fact that we have two temperatires, hot and hotter.
Is this a serious post? Im a southern woman and none of what you posted is real in my world. Granted the south is more conservative and more religious but that has never dictated that women marry young and start popping out kids. Like any other region women are diverse and persue different paths in life, different religions and different political views.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:04 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
SmokeyTopaz, it sounds like you enjoy perpetuating the stereotypes yourself. If you want to know why "people" think this way, ask yourself why you do first.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Well you answered your own question right there. They are seen as 'docile and submissive' because they follow traditional lifestyles, values, etc. Haven't you heard? Traditional anything isn't 'cool' anymore

My mother and most of my family was born and raised in Georgia and it seems like no matter what they do down there they are always looked at as 'backwards,' as compared to other parts of the U.S. A lot of people down there are perpetually stuck in the 60s. I read a story a few months ago about an uproar over a high school's allowance of "interracial prom couples." Stories like that don't help your case that the south is suddenly "forward thinking."
I think those are just stories. GA is my neighbor to the south. Maybe there is a world of difference, but interracial couples are common here. Im not aware of any type of racial uproars in my area.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:16 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,979 times
Who knows? I think people are just trying to find ways to "bash" the south. I like southern women though, they tend to be very sweet and kind.

Quote:
let the guy get the door, etc...
What's wrong with expecting a man to hold a door open for a lady? That's a thing called "manners". There's nothing backwards and outdated about that. In fact, manners are beneficial to society not to mention free.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:23 AM

374 posts, read 812,578 times
Good question. That's not my experience at all. When I think of Southern women, I think of my grandmother riding a horse with a cowboy hat and a shotgun, and a tooth pick jutting out of her mouth. She was a prison guard, and would supervise the inmates while they did work around the county. She also drove a pickup truck and listened to Waylon Jennings. She was not docile and submissive.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
Good question. That's not my experience at all. When I think of Southern women, I think of my grandmother riding a horse with a cowboy hat and a shotgun, and a tooth pick jutting out of her mouth. She was a prison guard, and would supervise the inmates while they did work around the county. She also drove a pickup truck and listened to Waylon Jennings. She was not docile and submissive.
Your grandma sounds like an interesting lady. I wasnt aware women could hold those jobs back then. My grandma wasnt near that interesting, but whe was definately NOT docile and submissive.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:02 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,068,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
If I were to stereotype southern women I would say they are a large in stature size 16 and up, big hair, lots of make up, fake nails, tan skin and lots of "bling" and very friendly. I love southern women. They seem so comfortable in their skin. Wouldnt say they are shy or submissive.
LOL, I don't know anyone like that down here.

In the most rural of areas maybe, but then they wouldn't have the fake nails and the bling.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:06 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,731,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I think those are just stories. GA is my neighbor to the south. Maybe there is a world of difference, but interracial couples are common here. Im not aware of any type of racial uproars in my area.
yes they are just stories, it's called the news. :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships