Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 03:04 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

I've heard a few cases now of teenage girls (I'm sure boys have done so too but for some reason it's been girls) who have taken ecstasy at a party/rave/concert and died. The reasons varied: in one famous case here it was because the 15 year old girl had a rare, allergic-type reaction and her brain swelled. In another, the girl just took a really high dose (for some reason), perhaps she was suicidal or just not thinking straight.

In many cases, others are involved, but i don't think it's right to totally blame other parties, unless they really pressured her to take it/force-fed her of course. Taking any kind of pill is risky, so you should be prepared of the consequences.

Of course any death is tragic, but I have to admit I can't help but feel a bit less sympathy for these cases than those who say died as a passenger in a car accident.

There's a flood of tributes.etc from friends when this happens, and they always talk about what a kind, friendly, generous etc person she was. I mean they kind of have to, I suppose, so to be honest I do wonder when they say things like that. Not EVERYONE who dies a tragic death is some saint in life. NOT to say that taking drugs makes you a bad person or if you take drugs you deserve death, but it's treated as a tragic accident (I suppose in the case of ecstasy it kind of is, since it doesn't usually kill you, but the risks are there) when it's really the responsibility of that person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 07:37 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've heard a few cases now of teenage girls (I'm sure boys have done so too but for some reason it's been girls) who have taken ecstasy at a party/rave/concert and died. The reasons varied: in one famous case here it was because the 15 year old girl had a rare, allergic-type reaction and her brain swelled. In another, the girl just took a really high dose (for some reason), perhaps she was suicidal or just not thinking straight.

In many cases, others are involved, but i don't think it's right to totally blame other parties, unless they really pressured her to take it/force-fed her of course. Taking any kind of pill is risky, so you should be prepared of the consequences.

Of course any death is tragic, but I have to admit I can't help but feel a bit less sympathy for these cases than those who say died as a passenger in a car accident.

There's a flood of tributes.etc from friends when this happens, and they always talk about what a kind, friendly, generous etc person she was. I mean they kind of have to, I suppose, so to be honest I do wonder when they say things like that. Not EVERYONE who dies a tragic death is some saint in life. NOT to say that taking drugs makes you a bad person or if you take drugs you deserve death, but it's treated as a tragic accident (I suppose in the case of ecstasy it kind of is, since it doesn't usually kill you, but the risks are there) when it's really the responsibility of that person.
I am not sure why you post things like this at all.

Any death, no matter how it became, is a tragedy to SOMEONE. No one is a saint in life, for we are mere humans.

If I lost one of my children, no matter how it happened, it would be a severe tragedy in my life. It would be something that I don't think I could ever ever get over.

You don't need to show sympathy to the person who dies, she is gone. She is not here on earth feeling your sympathy.

Can you imagine how your smug attitude and look over their daughter feels to her parents?

Old 09-26-2012, 07:49 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Years ago my eldest daughter was part of the rave scene...It was common for people to collapse on the dance floor...and it was considered an important event giving youth some dramatic relevance is someone died on the dance floor..The whole scene was insidious...E tablets were sold...and this chemical would dry out the brain...other vendors would set up shop and sell bottles of water at 5 dollars a pop...With ecstasy you don't know what you are ingesting for the most part.. Young people have to realize is that criminals create these designer drugs and it is all about greed- They don't care if they kill a few of you in the process.

A few years back there was a drug bust by the feds- They intercepted a container that arrived in Montreal...They seized over 20 million dozes of Ecstasy.... There was a small news blurp then the matter was quietly removed from the public view...One thing that was interesting and disturbing is that the origin of the container was CHINA....Those in China still have an long standing grudge with the west- who poisoned their youth with opium...which enhanced the rise of communism...many youthful potential leaders perished from opium.....They have no quams about making a few billion dollars by sending poison to the west...They hate us.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:26 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,837,585 times
I know a lot of people who do ecstasy and also seem to think it's "safe."

Not quite the same as injecting heroin, so yep, it is pretty tragic when someone, especially a kid, dies.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:36 AM

676 posts, read 1,261,634 times
People often play a role in their own deaths through distracted driving or poor health habits. Do you judge those people too or only the ones where drugs have played a role?

I think it's sad and senseless. Preventable, but still sad and senseless. As long as they don't take anyone else out with them, I tend to be sympathetic to the survivors and think it's sad the person didn't get to live their life. Now, if they do something where they take other people out, then I tend to not have as much sympathy, but I still feel bad for the families.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:55 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,395,410 times
How much? I don't even know how one measures such things, what a horrible tragedy for everyone.... Esp. since it has been proven that the human brain doen'st fully develop until much later than was thought, meaning that young people don't often have the capcity to understand consequences ...

Old 09-26-2012, 10:10 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
I have a lot of sympathy for any teenager who dies, whether they were doing something stupid or not. Teenagers do dumb things, I did my fair share of stupid things as a teen, many of which could have got me killed. For a young life to be snuffed out because they indulged a little too much is quite tragic.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:53 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,777,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

If you take drugs, you deserve what you get. If what you get is death, you have earned it.

There's a very good way to avoid dying by drug overdose. DON'T TAKE DRUGS.

We all know that drugs are bad for you. Those of us who choose to ignore that fact are deserving of any and all consequences they get.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:56 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I am not sure why you post things like this at all.

Any death, no matter how it became, is a tragedy to SOMEONE. No one is a saint in life, for we are mere humans.

If I lost one of my children, no matter how it happened, it would be a severe tragedy in my life. It would be something that I don't think I could ever ever get over.

You don't need to show sympathy to the person who dies, she is gone. She is not here on earth feeling your sympathy.

Can you imagine how your smug attitude and look over their daughter feels to her parents?

That is not the question from the original poster, the question is: How much sympathy do YOU have for her?

My answer, none, it was her choice to take an illegal substance and the result of that choice is that she died. End of story, her body, her choice, her death. I do have sympathy for those in her family and circle of friends who have been left behind to deal with loss and grief but I have no sympathy for her.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:57 AM

19,717 posts, read 20,244,680 times
I think that's sad and people are rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships