U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-27-2012, 04:24 PM
 
28,906 posts, read 46,598,421 times
Reputation: 46000

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chit chatter View Post
Your response below is typical of what most everyone is saying. I am terrible because I dropped the old man who no longer can help me.

That's life in the big city and nearly everyone does that. People use others and cast them aside when they are no longer useful. Just like I plan to do. Do you think actors in Hollywood who everyone deferred to and laughed at their jokes and acted all buddy buddy with after the actor had a blockbuster movie, don't understand the game? Once their career goes down hill and the movies are not doing so well, those good friends won't give them the time of day. In Washington DC, when one party is in power the important people invite those people who can help them to parties and their home, but when the people or political party is no longer in power, no one will give their previous "good friend" the time of day.

I remember a powerful executive at a company I worked at who was getting married and getting an invitation to the wedding was an indication if you were in or out at the company. The employees and managers who were invited were just so excited and were counting the days to the event. But something funny happened, the powerful executive was demoted by the corporate office in Dallas and her boss was fired. Now she was a no body and everyone who had planned to go to the wedding conveniently had other commitments. No one from the company ended up going to the wedding. She was fired a few months later. She actually was a nice lady who had helped many of the people who now would not give her the time of day due to her demotion and expected termination. (They hung her out to dry for months making her a laughing stock!)

A valuable set of lessons about business relationships.
Actually, no they don't. I mean, if you are basing everyone's behavior on what goes on in Washington, then that likely explains a great deal. For the creepy goings on in our nation's capital or Hollywood are nothing for anyone to emulate. In fact, those two groups are pretty much models for how not to live one's life and if you actually admire them, then that says a hell of a lot about you as a person.

Since you dwell in the world of anecdotes, let me tell you mine. I have mentored many people over the years, and I still get a couple of phone calls weekly from people needing my advice. To this day, most of those people who have worked for me have stayed in touch.

When I had trouble with my business seventeen years ago due to the sudden death of my business partner, people came out of the woodwork to help. People contributed their professional services free of charge. A couple of competitors turned down some of clients who were wavering. People steered business my way. Vendors gave me months to pay them back. During that long year when I struggled to keep the doors open, I never received a dunning notice from a single vendor, even though at one point I owed tens of thousands of dollars. Slowly but surely, I clawed my way back and paid every single person what I owed them with gratitude and the reward of my continued business and absolute loyalty. Why this response? Because I have been good to people and have done my level best to treat them with integrity in a business that can be touch at times. Karma can indeed be a *****. But if you are good to others, it can also be good to you. Too bad you'll never find that out.

Last edited by cpg35223; 09-27-2012 at 04:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-27-2012, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Tucson for awhile longer
8,872 posts, read 13,501,647 times
Reputation: 29030
Quote:
Originally Posted by chit chatter View Post
Be honest now, you have done it too.
No, I haven't. I keep in polite touch with a couple of people I actually dislike because they have done me favors or good deeds. I figure I owe polite behavior to people who have helped me get ahead in my life. I find it hard to believe that someone who took the effort to extend themselves to another person in a helpful way doesn't have SOMETHING to recommend them.

I hope you're young. At least that might explain your crass attitude. In fact, your way of speaking is so reprehensible I find it hard to believe this letter is real. Why would you bother bringing up this topic if you don't feel somewhat guilty. People don't usually engage to brag about how rude they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2012, 04:28 PM
 
12,883 posts, read 15,360,866 times
Reputation: 14824
Quote:
Originally Posted by chit chatter View Post
Your response below is typical of what most everyone is saying. I am terrible because I dropped the old man who no longer can help me.No, you are terrible because you forsook a "mentor" and a "saviour".You didn't just "drop the old man who could no longer help me", you dropped the old man that you could no longer USE....say it like it is

That's life in the big city and nearly everyone does that. People use others and cast them aside when they are no longer useful. Just like I plan to do. Do you think actors in Hollywood who everyone deferred to and laughed at their jokes and acted all buddy buddy with after the actor had a blockbuster movie, don't understand the game? Once their career goes down hill and the movies are not doing so well, those good friends won't give them the time of day. In Washington DC, when one party is in power the important people invite those people who can help them to parties and their home, but when the people or political party is no longer in power, no one will give their previous "good friend" the time of day.
That's because their "precious good friends" never were, they were really just USERS like you
I remember a powerful executive at a company I worked at who was getting married and getting an invitation to the wedding was an indication if you were in or out at the company. The employees and managers who were invited were just so excited and were counting the days to the event. But something funny happened, the powerful executive was demoted by the corporate office in Dallas and her boss was fired. Now she was a no body and everyone who had planned to go to the wedding conveniently had other commitments. No one from the company ended up going to the wedding. She was fired a few months later. She actually was a nice lady who had helped many of the people who now would not give her the time of day due to her demotion and expected termination. (They hung her out to dry for months making her a laughing stock!)..The ones laughing should be "hung out to dry"...What's so funny about a woman losing her job?...what a pathetic bunch of ignorant a##es.

A valuable set of lessons about business relationships.
I gather that would be (in your world).... you can't trust anyone..... no-one is your friend if they're not using you....get what you can no matter who you hurt.....thank no-one. Sounds awful lonely to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2012, 04:29 PM
 
Location: New Orleans
525 posts, read 950,604 times
Reputation: 478
Wow! Is this a joke?

I hope this is a joke and not really how you feel???

I am beyond disgusted!
I hope they make less people like you in the world! People like you are part of the reason why Americans ethics, morals are declining!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2012, 04:36 PM
 
28,906 posts, read 46,598,421 times
Reputation: 46000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mading6 View Post
Wow! Is this a joke?

I hope this is a joke and not really how you feel???

I am beyond disgusted!
I hope they make less people like you in the world! People like you are part of the reason why Americans ethics, morals are declining!
This has to be a troll post, because nobody can possibly be this creepy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2012, 05:31 PM
 
244 posts, read 612,811 times
Reputation: 273
It's funny because I am going through the same thing so I'm just going to say this plainly, you're scum, you have no regards for other people's feelings except your self. Now, how'd you feel if you helped someone, helped them through their toughest of times, and then low and behold, they'd leave you. You'd feel ****ty, used, unwanted, like you played no role in that person's life whatsoeveer but to feed their own selfish ego. Sorry if i sound like I'm ranting, but I feel sorry for the man because the same thing happened to me from a supposed "best friend" of mine. God, I hope I no longer meet scum like you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2012, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Western NY
559 posts, read 1,202,097 times
Reputation: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Not only should you meet him, you should be buying.

Really, how ungratefully bratty of you.
This.

You feel that you have no chemistry or conversational connection, but he does not see this? Then let him do most of the talking. Talk about current events, or the places where you both used to work, or the weather, or TV shows. Or so many other things.

He's lonely, he just wants to have lunch, and he has done so much for you. He's a good person. He's been thoughtful, considerate, kind and respectful towards you. Meet him for lunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2012, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Austin
4,103 posts, read 6,057,065 times
Reputation: 6708
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
This has to be a troll post, because nobody can possibly be this creepy.
Sadly, you are wrong. There are plenty of people this creepy and pathetic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2012, 08:04 PM
 
12,544 posts, read 12,466,546 times
Reputation: 28900
Quote:
Originally Posted by chit chatter View Post
Your response below is typical of what most everyone is saying. I am terrible because I dropped the old man who no longer can help me.

That's life in the big city and nearly everyone does that. People use others and cast them aside when they are no longer useful. Just like I plan to do.
Oh, please. There's so much hot air in your post, it's a damn fart. You're nothing. You don't know the first thing about class, grace, or even business or politics. Even if you were acting solely out of self-interest, if you had any smarts, you would know better than to blather on like that.

Not only should you be grateful for what he has done, you should be paying it forward and mentoring someone else.

People like you crash and burn quickly enough, though. No one likes to work with ugly people.

Don't forget to make a new screen name when you come crawling back with your tail between your legs after the people you work with figure you out and treat you accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2012, 08:18 PM
 
Location: Western NY
559 posts, read 1,202,097 times
Reputation: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Not only should you be grateful for what he has done, you should be paying it forward and mentoring someone else.
Yes. I hope that you have mentored at least one other person. If not, please find someone to mentor. At least do that. It sounds like all you've done is take, but you don't want to give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:11 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top