Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 12:31 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ker38 View Post
GF thinks I'm making a big deal about this. So I'm curious what you think.

GF's sister will be house-sitting for 2 nights and just told us that a guy she's seen a few times will be over at our house for dinner while we're out of town. That probably means he's spending the night over and sleeping in our bed since they've had sex before.

I don't like it because it's some strange guy in my house with all my stuff/papers/etc. there, not to mention sleeping in my bed/sheets.

Do you think my GF is right that it's no big deal? She said I'm acting "crazy" for caring about this.

Btw, I never confronted the sister about this - just mentioned to my GF.
I wouldn't have a problem with my girlfriends sister, but I'd definitely not want some strange guy (she's only seen a few times) in my house...NO WAY, and I'd tell the house-sitter that as well, if it was too hard for me to speak my feelings I would just tell the woman that you no longer require her to house sit...BTW you are not acting silly to be concerned, you don't even know this guy!, your girlfriend is being thoughtless and irresponsible towards you asking this of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 12:31 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee188 View Post
Tell your girlfriend she is responsible for washing the sheets. If she wants her sister and a stranger to have sex in her bed, she can clean it up.
She can also pay for anything her sister and this guy damage or steal.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:04 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,680,778 times
You know, a house really doesn't need a "housesitter" for two days, generally you can just lock the door and go off and enjoy you weekend. Very few plants need water every single day.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:08 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
I agree that you probably don't need a housesitter for two days, but you could invite the sister and the boyfriend over for dinner to at least meet him and lay out your expectations.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:35 PM

708 posts, read 878,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Sorry, but that says a lot about your girlfriend. She should respect your feelings. It's your home, too. If she wants to put her things at risk, that's one thing, but she's being awfully cavalier about your concerns regarding your papers and possessions. I would have a problem with that if I were you.
I agree with this.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:01 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
This is your home, and if you are not comfortable with this then you need to make it clear he cannot stay over. I would not allow that if it were me. I mean you don't have a clue who this guy is or his background, but the idea is anyway that SHE is supposed to be watching the house, not her and her boyfriend. I do not think you are making a big deal of this.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:50 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
Does this guy have a job and/or is trackable?

I lost ALL my personal possessions, collectibles, and even family photos when my girlfriends' sister house sat (without my knowledge) and was accompanied by her new "friend".

I spent a few years tracking this guy, and in Los Angeles I was always a few weeks behind him and his mother. Nothing was of real value, but my grandpa's and fathers Canadian coins went with the clothing and toaster.

Just make sure you can find this guy if need be.

Last edited by thedwightguy; 10-19-2012 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: add a word

Old 10-19-2012, 10:42 AM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,916 times
I'd also like to know why you need a housesitter for 2 nights? Just lock the door - it will be okay. 2 nights is not worth the stress you're feeling already knowing some strange guy will be in your house.

I'd be so mad if I were you - I'd have a big problem with a stranger in my house. Not to mention my SO telling me it's no big deal. I'm sure she is just thinking about how she trusts her sister, so it shouldn't be an issue, but it IS an issue - no matter how much she trusts her sister, there's still some stranger you don't even know staying in your house without you gone! Honestly, you should put your foot down and tell both your GF and her sister that it won't fly. I still think you should just forget the housesitting deal altogether...

Old 10-19-2012, 03:25 PM

582 posts, read 1,119,088 times
Next time you go out of town ask one of your buddies (preferably one with a reputation for dating "skanky" women) to house sit for you. Just remember to burn the sheets when you return.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:07 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Who owns the house, you or the girlfriend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships