Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 12:06 PM

548 posts, read 891,101 times

Advertisements

Ever since I was little my mom and I have been fighting yelling on and off no matter when we talk. Why?I honestly don't know. I guess we fight because she hates how I have done anything with my life.

While she has to go to work everyday and I get to stay home. She says I don't deserve to drive, get my license, or insurance, because I need money and a job first.

There are a lot of people who get a car before even getting their licenses. Or other's who don't have their licenses or a car period. While others work and other's don't work.

I just don't know how to make my mom happy and get her off my back. She says to leave her alone and never talk to her ever again. She also says that my so called writing for magazines is fantasy writing and not real and why do I bother doing it?

When I go and apply to jobs I should not put any job experience what so ever and then I will get a job. Why should I apply to a job and not say I have a job when I do write for magazines to me thats a job.

I just am really tired of trying and trying and trying and not getting nothing out of it.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:30 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
How old are you ? If you're over 18, go get a job, save some money and move out. Problem solved.

Your mom sounds frustrated with you. Is it because you put effort into writing for magazines but earn no income for it ?. Because you want a car but have no means to pay for the car or for insurance or gas ?

You're not clear on any of this.

Are you looking for a job but can't find one ? Are you still in school ? You really haven't provided enough info to offer any advice. I get the impression that you mom is annoyed with you , maybe because you are spending a lot of time doing things that bring in no money, but yet you want her to give you a car- - is that her concern ? Is it because you can't find a job and have no experience and aren't doing anything to gain experience?

It's normal for children and parents to lock horns and argue at times. When you're over 18 and doing this, it means it's time for you to be independent. Time to leave the nest. Maybe mom is trying to push you out of the nest. Maybe you don't want to go but still want adult privileges . Usually you can't have it both ways.

If you're having a hard time getting a job, either work on obtaining job skills by taking classes or by doing volunteer work or an internship in the field that interests you.

Try to post again and explain things in more detail , especially how old you are..

Old 03-19-2013, 01:39 PM

548 posts, read 891,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
How old are you ? If you're over 18, go get a job, save some money and move out. Problem solved.

Your mom sounds frustrated with you. Is it because you put effort into writing for magazines but earn no income for it ?. Because you want a car but have no means to pay for the car or for insurance or gas ?

You're not clear on any of this.

Are you looking for a job but can't find one ? Are you still in school ? You really haven't provided enough info to offer any advice. I get the impression that you mom is annoyed with you , maybe because you are spending a lot of time doing things that bring in no money, but yet you want her to give you a car- - is that her concern ? Is it because you can't find a job and have no experience and aren't doing anything to gain experience?

It's normal for children and parents to lock horns and argue at times. When you're over 18 and doing this, it means it's time for you to be independent. Time to leave the nest. Maybe mom is trying to push you out of the nest. Maybe you don't want to go but still want adult privileges . Usually you can't have it both ways.

If you're having a hard time getting a job, either work on obtaining job skills by taking classes or by doing volunteer work or an internship in the field that interests you.

Try to post again and explain things in more detail , especially how old you are..
I am 25 years old. NO my magazine writing DOES NOT PAY ME. Yes I HAVE APPLIED to jobs on and off and NO REPLY BACK. NO I am not in college or a trait school or any type of classes and or schooling. Herself and my dad told me they would buy me a car, pay for my gas, and insurance IF I GOT MY LICENSE, I GAVE UP on that issue.

HOW CAN I MOVE THE **** OUT WHEN I GOT NO JOB, NO CAR, TO EVEN LIVE IN?

Old 03-19-2013, 01:55 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
Writing in caps is yelling on the internet. There is no reason for you to be screaming and cursing in your posts. You're being a rude brat with a chip on your shoulder and I'm to ignore you.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:27 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
You should start looking for a paid job. Your parents don't sound like they're agreeing on this and this is a problem between them. You should not listen to your dad if that's the case. Your mother is frustrated and while I understand that you want to gain experience writing, there is no reason you can't do that and work also. Writing comes natural to me; it's not extra work when I get home from working. I also have yet to make money writing even though everybody says I could do it. The point is, if I had waited for that to pan out, I'd have spent half my adult life unemployed, which was not financially feasible. Go out, apply for jobs in person, online, at workforce centers, do whatever you've got to do, then you can afford all that.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:30 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,471,750 times
I've seen this post before many many months ago.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:34 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by napy666 View Post
How is this your parents' (or anyone else) problem? You find a way.

It must be frustrating for your parents to keep housing you when it doesn't appear that you put in any effort or interest into becoming self sustaining.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:41 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
You should start looking for a paid job. Your parents don't sound like they're agreeing on this and this is a problem between them. You should not listen to your dad if that's the case. Your mother is frustrated and while I understand that you want to gain experience writing, there is no reason you can't do that and work also. Writing comes natural to me; it's not extra work when I get home from working. I also have yet to make money writing even though everybody says I could do it. The point is, if I had waited for that to pan out, I'd have spent half my adult life unemployed, which was not financially feasible. Go out, apply for jobs in person, online, at workforce centers, do whatever you've got to do, then you can afford all that.
Most everyone I know who is a freelance writer, artist, or musician doesn't make a living doing that. It's what they love and are passionate about, but they all have a "real" job in order to pay the bills.

If I remember correctly from other threads, the OP is not a child. She needs to take responsibility for her life and begin living like an adult. If that means you start off as a cashier at the grocery store, so be it.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:49 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
Quote:
I am 25 years old. NO my magazine writing DOES NOT PAY ME. Yes I HAVE APPLIED to jobs on and off and NO REPLY BACK. NO I am not in college or a trait school or any type of classes and or schooling. Herself and my dad told me they would buy me a car, pay for my gas, and insurance IF I GOT MY LICENSE, I GAVE UP on that issue.

Well you need a license if you think you are going to drive a car. You cannot drive without a license. If your magazine job does not pay, then it really is not a job, but more like a hobby or an apprenticeship of sorts.

If you are not in college and don't have a job, I can see their aggravation.

What is it that you do?

Old 03-19-2013, 02:51 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:

You can't, which is your problem. You won't get a job that enables you to until you have transportation. Chances of making a living writing, without higher education, are akin to winning the Powerball.

Yes, some people don't drive, and some people don't work. They are happy being drains on either their parents, or society.

What kind of answer are you looking for here? By the title of your thread, I assumed you were maybe 16. At 25, the onus is on you to plan your success in life, not your parents.

Why haven't you learned how to drive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships