Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 06:51 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by napy666 View Post
I am 25 years old. NO my magazine writing DOES NOT PAY ME. Yes I HAVE APPLIED to jobs on and off and NO REPLY BACK. NO I am not in college or a trait school or any type of classes and or schooling. Herself and my dad told me they would buy me a car, pay for my gas, and insurance IF I GOT MY LICENSE, I GAVE UP on that issue.

HOW CAN I MOVE THE **** OUT WHEN I GOT NO JOB, NO CAR, TO EVEN LIVE IN?
You spend 8 hours a day applying and going to location, after location applying for whatever openings they may have. It takes effort to find a job, you have to make finding a job your job. You can do this. If you are 25 and never employed, unless you have some sort of learning disability you should be able to find something. It doesn't sound like you've put real effort into your job searching. Only you know the truth of that. If you have any sort of disability try checking w/ your local Vocational Rehabilitation agency, they assist folks who have disabilities in finding employment. Good luck.
PS, I have to agree, buying you a car "just because" is not cost effective. Maintenance, insurance and gas is a lot to take on for someone who doesn't intend to contribute monetarily. Get your job, and things may change drastically on the home front. If your Mom is like me, even seeing good honest effort on your part to go the the different businesses and make applications will change the attitude of your mom.

Last edited by JanND; 03-19-2013 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: corrected punctuation

Old 03-19-2013, 07:38 PM

548 posts, read 891,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
You spend 8 hours a day applying and going to location, after location applying for whatever openings they may have. It takes effort to find a job, you have to make finding a job your job. You can do this. If you are 25 and never employed, unless you have some sort of learning disability you should be able to find something. It doesn't sound like you've put real effort into your job searching. Only you know the truth of that. If you have any sort of disability try checking w/ your local Vocational Rehabilitation agency, they assist folks who have disabilities in finding employment. Good luck.
PS, I have to agree, buying you a car just because is not cost effective. Maintenance, insurance and gas is a lot to take on for someone who doesn't intend to contribute monetarily. Get your job, and things may change drastically on the home front. If your Mom is like me, even seeing good honest effort on your part to go the the different businesses and make applications will change the attitude of your mom.
I have tried one of those programs called the Department of Rehab all that lady told me to do was make a resume. Making me put stuff on it that was years OLD. When you make a resume you need to put RECENT stuff NOT years old.

And I have been applying online left and right and have not gotten one phone call or email reply back. The ONLY WORK EXPERIENCE THAT IS RECENT that I HAVE is my magazine writing. The other stuff is years old, 2007 and 2011.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:41 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
So what are you going to do, stay in your room till you rot? Can parents forcibly evict their grown children? That would be an amusing scenario.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
So what are you going to do, stay in your room till you rot? Can parents forcibly evict their grown children? That would be an amusing scenario.
Yeah I'm just going to be a hermit never going out ever again.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:48 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
I have tried one of those programs called the Department of Rehab all that lady told me to do was make a resume. Making me put stuff on it that was years OLD. When you make a resume you need to put RECENT stuff NOT years old.

And I have been applying online left and right and have not gotten one phone call or email reply back. The ONLY WORK EXPERIENCE THAT IS RECENT that I HAVE is my magazine writing. The other stuff is years old, 2007 and 2011.
So, you didn't do a resume. Did you follow-up with that Counselor? Or just give up an not go back?
o a resume...It doesn't matter if the stuff is older, put it on there. You really should be more open to following the guidance of professionals...That is how they got there, they have knowledge and experience. Put some trust in that. Call and reschedule...if you need assistance in building a resume, ask her. But "don't throw out the baby with the bath water" (et-al")....At least try it their way, your way isn't working.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:54 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
Sounds like your parents maybe want you to take some classes. Are they willing to help pay for those and are you willing to take them?

As far as the driving, you can't just go on the premise that plenty of other people do it illegally so it's ok for you to as well. Your parents are doing the right thing with that.

I have used a job agency in the past. I do have a medical background, so that was helpful. I interviewed with them one day and they thought they had the perfect person for me and I interviewed with them the next day. That was a thursday, then a friday, and on that next Monday I was working.

I imagine it's fine for you to be a hermit the rest of your life but you should not be depending on your parents for your hermit crab food for the rest of your life!

Old 03-19-2013, 08:18 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Many people having a hard time getting a job get their foot in the door by volunteering. it shows a willingness to accept responsibility, learn on the job, get somewhere on time and make sacrifices for their future.

But somehow I think you think you are too good for this kind of approach.

Readers...if you are the parents of a young child and you are doing everything for them, enabling their sour moods and giving in to their every whim, this is what you have to look forward to when they are older. A cautionary tale.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
So, you didn't do a resume. Did you follow-up with that Counselor? Or just give up an not go back?
o a resume...It doesn't matter if the stuff is older, put it on there. You really should be more open to following the guidance of professionals...That is how they got there, they have knowledge and experience. Put some trust in that. Call and reschedule...if you need assistance in building a resume, ask her. But "don't throw out the baby with the bath water" (et-al")....At least try it their way, your way isn't working.
I am not an idiot ok I know how to make a resume. And resume's are suppose to be 1 page ONLY.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Many people having a hard time getting a job get their foot in the door by volunteering. it shows a willingness to accept responsibility, learn on the job, get somewhere on time and make sacrifices for their future.

But somehow I think you think you are too good for this kind of approach.

Readers...if you are the parents of a young child and you are doing everything for them, enabling their sour moods and giving in to their every whim, this is what you have to look forward to when they are older. A cautionary tale.
Volunteering and internships DO NOT PAY NOR WILL THEY EVER OFF YOU A JOB.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:18 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Volunteering and internships DO NOT PAY NOR WILL THEY EVER OFF YOU A JOB.
Patently false.

Besides why do you care if they do not pay nor offer you a job? You're "writing" as it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.