Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 10:13 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,727,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And you'r e awfully defensive about it.
Yeah, I get a little defensive when people want to tell me how to use im paying for to suit THEIR juices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 10:17 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Yeah, I get a little defensive when people want to tell me how to use im paying for to suit THEIR juices.
So because you pay for a car, you get to drive it wherever and however you want? You pay for the clothes, so you can wear shorts to a wedding, right? You pay for an airline ticket, so if you want to get drunk and sing all through the flight, that's no problem? Etiquette is about being sensitive to situations and making people feel comfortable, and your behavior with your phone raises red flags for some people. Maybe you should think about that instead of getting hostile.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:25 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Quote:
So because you pay for a car, you get to drive it wherever and however you want? You pay for the clothes, so you can wear shorts to a wedding, right? You pay for an airline ticket, so if you want to get drunk and sing all through the flight, that's no problem? Etiquette is about being sensitive to situations and making people feel comfortable, and your behavior with your phone raises red flags for a lot of people. Maybe you should think about that instead of getting hostile.
Excellent post, but it might be falling on deaf ears.

Dissenter is just a kid, and acts like one..

Old 08-27-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
So because you pay for a car, you get to drive it wherever and however you want? You pay for the clothes, so you can wear shorts to a wedding, right? You pay for an airline ticket, so if you want to get drunk and sing all through the flight, that's no problem? Etiquette is about being sensitive to situations and making people feel comfortable, and your behavior with your phone raises red flags for some people. Maybe you should think about that instead of getting hostile.
Im not stupid. I respect the laws and rules of wherever im at. But if it ain't against the rules it's my prerogative on when I use my phone. Again if my money is paying for it I decide how to use it.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:41 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,052,133 times
Quote:
Im not stupid. I respect the laws and rules of wherever im at. But if it ain't against the rules it's my prerogative on when I use my phone. Again if my money is paying for it I decide how to use it.
In many situations, having paid for your phone means little or nothing at all.

I don't think "checking in" is an example of offensive behavior, not by a longshot. You'd have to be pretty thin skinned to be offended by someone else doing that.

But if I've paid for a meal at a restaurant and the person next to me is taking phone pix with flash of every damn plate that comes his way...that's disruptive behavior.

Or if I've paid for a concert, I want to see the show (isn't that the whole point?!), not be interrupted constantly by luminous squares of video screens thrust in front of my face.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:46 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
No one says checking in is offensive behavior.
But it's pointless and narcissistic.
No, seriously...no one cares where you have checked in.
No one.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:19 AM

7,678 posts, read 5,524,010 times
Quote:
Yes, it may be your prerogative, but it is simply ill-mannered and rude not to be considerate of the people around you.

How else should we judge others, except by their behavior?

Old 08-27-2013, 11:36 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,192 times
I think one reason is that smartphones have moved from being a communication device to a "life companion". A lot of people keep a bunch of information about their lives on phones. Plus today's technology makes everything instant and convenient thanks in part to multitasking. For example, you can text a friend about dinner plans at 2AM, search restaurants while you text, confirm plans, launch the OpenTable app, and make a reservation for the next evening. All in a minute or two. Years ago that would involve multiple phone calls and you would have to wait until later in the morning to place your reservation and hope you weren't too late.

Unfortunately, some people get easily addicted and sucked in. We've all been walking behind someone engrossed in their phone and distracted. I like to think that is how they drive when they are distracted - not going in a straight line, varying levels of speed, delayed reaction time, etc.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:56 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,030,841 times
Quote:
Oh. So everything has to be written in black 'n white, passed by a committee and signed into law?

You must be young. It's a tendency of (many in) the current generation to not understand what innate decency and courtesy is.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Oh. So everything has to be written in black 'n white, passed by a committee and signed into law?

You must be young. It's a tendency of (many in) the current generation to not understand what innate decency and courtesy is.
Outside of law and the rules of a business, I'll determine I am causing others around an issue with my phone use. Ironically I'm eating lunch as I'm typing this and no one around has a problem with it. Now the screaming kids at the table next to me, way more annoying than a damn Galaxy Note II. Where is the outrage over that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships