Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 07:57 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
That was fantastic!

As my posting history will attest, whenever someone gets on here talking about texting, I refer to it as "garbage communication" and "content-free speech." I'm forever deriding people for not having the balls to talk to each other in real time. But then Turkle said something that really struck me: Some young people simply don't know how. An 18-year-old told her that someday, he'd like to learn how to have a conversation. That is just so utterly sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 08:11 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
No problem junior. Check your email. If we're in the same theater you'll either turn it off or be checking it outside.

You are to much! I don't think so control freak.....do you make people chew popcorn outside as well Hilarious

Old 08-26-2013, 06:33 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
Quote:
I agree that using a phone during previews is no big deal. If they have the shields also no big deal. I could care less if people stay on their phones for 8 hours straight as long as it doesn't intrude on what I'm doing, movies, etc.

I think smartphones are a great tool. But as you said talking loudly in a theater or using a phone that lights up the room is unacceptable. Otherwise you are right, it's not my business.
Very reasonable response indeed. Kudos.

On an off-topic, in that preview image of the video, I've got to say, that girl is fine, in fact, in THAT case, I DON'T understand the phone fixation--you got a really fine-looking lady like that stretching right in front of you, why stare at the phone--me, I'd probably end up dropping my phone on the ground from staring at her until my eyeballs fell out, ha ha.

LRH

Old 08-26-2013, 08:38 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Try going to a movie these days. People have to have their stupid phones on right up to the start of the movie. Even then some will check their phones during the movie. Hey, genius, that little light is extremely bright in a dark room. After the movie, the phones light up like crazy. These people are like heroin addicts. One guy was walking down the stairs of a theater and almost fell because he was so busy checking his phone. I've asked people to turn off their phones in a movie and received an angry response.

It is also extremely rude to be on your phone while at the cash register of a store. I know a few places that have signs saying you will not be served if you're on your phone. Bravo. I saw one guy get very upset when they enforced this rule.
If I could give you a thousand points, I would. These people are pathetic--they can't even put their damn phones down for even one minute..

Old 08-26-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
If I could give you a thousand points, I would. These people are pathetic--they can't even put their damn phones down for even one minute..
What is even more "pathetic" is people thinking it's any of their freaking business & getting so worked up over such.

LRH

Old 08-26-2013, 09:01 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
What's pathetic is how what they are doing or messaging about, etc, is rarely earth-shattering or of any importance.
But they act like if they don't have that info about Miffy, Biffy, or Tiffy right away, their worlds will end.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:03 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
From Russia, land of dashboard cams:

разборки на дороге - YouTube

While I don't think that kind of vigilantism is safe or warranted, we've probably all secretly wanted to do that.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:04 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,063 times
My husband and his parents both get annoyed by each other's "addictions".

He checks his phone frequently and they watch TV ALL DAY LONG.

To me, these are both annoying, but neither can see how their own addiction is bothersome to other people.

I find it rude that we visit them and the TV is never off. You never just sit and visit, that box is always blaring in the background. And they watch reruns of the same crime dramas over and over again.

As a result, my husband gets bored being expected to watch these shows on a constant loop and pulls out his phone to read sports news and Facebook.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
My husband and his parents both get annoyed by each other's "addictions".

He checks his phone frequently and they watch TV ALL DAY LONG.

To me, these are both annoying, but neither can see how their own addiction is bothersome to other people.

I find it rude that we visit them and the TV is never off. You never just sit and visit, that box is always blaring in the background. And they watch reruns of the same crime dramas over and over again.

As a result, my husband gets bored being expected to watch these shows on a constant loop and pulls out his phone to read sports news and Facebook.
Maybe I'm over-commenting, but I had to reply to this--I largely agree with it.

What is the difference between the parents being glued to their TV & their adult child visiting being glued to their phone in the same house at the same time? I don't see one frankly.

I have relatives who are like that about the TV thing, & yes it's annoying to me too. What really is bothersome is they think it has to be this damn loud!!! It will downright give you a headache. Understand, it's their house and they can do what they want, so I guess the "it's none of your business" mantra I have been chanting applies one could say, but then again, if people are coming to your house to VISIT you, they probably do so hoping to actually TALK and VISIT with you.

Heck, as much as I defend looking at my phone periodically, I certainly have the means to visit people (or have them visit me) & to actually somewhat pay some ATTENTION to them. Now that doesn't mean I don't look at my phone periodically, whether in that situation or when eating out etc (and again don't give me hard time about it), but I still make a point to connect to people in the real physical realm too & not totally ignore them 100% either, and in fact to actually have CONVERSATIONS with them if possible.

Heck, even I, Mr. "don't tell me to get off of my phone" etc, just got back from a trip in a very rural area where I KNEW my phone wouldn't work, and yet I still went, and it was in fact a very enjoyable trip. We all actually CONNECTED. Again, day-to-day, I defend looking at my phone however much I feel like it, but I sure don't let it get in the way of we 4 as a married couple/family actually KNOWING and spending time with each other too.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:48 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,058,562 times
I use mine for a lot of functions-phone (I don't have a house phone), alarm clock, flashlight (& yes that has come in handy lots of times). I like being able to check email when I'm out & about (like when I bought my home, waiting to find out if short sale went through, checked email constantly at that point). It came in useful after Sandy (once we had service again) to read the news & figure out who had power, what roads were still closed, etc.

However, when I'm out & about, I don't like to be on my phone a lot. I don't talk on it while walking through stores, checking out, etc. I think that's rude. I just like to have it for when I'm waiting in a waiting room, or something of the like. It's nice to be able to play some tetris or read while waiting. I keep it on vibrate all of the time-I can't stand the sound of a phone going off.

I have a friend who is constantly glued to her phone. She will look at the phone more than you while you are trying to talk. If you stop talking, she'll say "I'm listening." Really? You sure?

I also have a co worker who never puts hers on vibrate. It goes off all day. Sometimes she keeps the volume all the way up. I want to just grab it off her desk & throw it against the wall. I keep meaning to say something to my manager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships