Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 05:14 AM

11,409 posts, read 9,332,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
So you now are distancing your parents because of this? That has more to say about your character than any comments made to you by blacks or whites.
I agree. No different than an undeserved punch in the gut. Not fair to them at all.

I wish I had the childhood the OP had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 05:30 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,760,951 times
You hit the nail on the head, you are feeling like you don't belong.

Grow up, don't let other people decide for you. Sorry you "act white." I don't know what "act black" would mean, but the implication is that is different from your background.

Nature or nurture. Oftentimes, if you are honest, the nurturers are apologist for inappropriate behavior. Sounds like you were nurtured, and now want something different.

Here is a tip: Forget what losers say, act the way you know is correct based on how you were nurtured, whatever way that is.

Poser is loser, with a different first letter.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:49 AM

1,373 posts, read 2,964,731 times
This thread is funny to me. Why are black people coming here and proclaiming how they too lived in ""white"" neighbourhoods as though black neighbourhoods and talking black are not good enough? Why do you all feel that you need white people association to validate your social standing in life & they say slavery os over LOL!

Old 11-27-2013, 03:41 PM
hvl

403 posts, read 553,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
This thread is funny to me. Why are black people coming here and proclaiming how they too lived in ""white"" neighbourhoods as though black neighbourhoods and talking black are not good enough? Why do you all feel that you need white people association to validate your social standing in life & they say slavery os over LOL!
I don't know.
Maybe because they think that they can relate to the OP.
That could be the reason. Maybe.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:40 PM

29 posts, read 66,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvl View Post
I don't know.
Maybe because they think that they can relate to the OP.
That could be the reason. Maybe.
Thank you ... For that response to angry millionaire

Old 11-27-2013, 11:09 PM

25 posts, read 30,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Gee, a "fantastic" family, an upper middle class upbringing, good friends, a college man. You had it rough.
Indeed. People who grew up privileged aren't allowed to be human. They aren't allowed to feel pain, confusion, sadness, depression, etc.

That's basically the gist of your post.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:28 PM

25 posts, read 30,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I agree. No different than an undeserved punch in the gut. Not fair to them at all.

I wish I had the childhood the OP had.
When my parents found out I was marrying a black man, they cut me off. Didn't even come to my wedding. I didn't hear from them until I was pregnant. I cannot adequately describe the pain and anger I felt throughout that period. Do I envy the OP for having parents that sound like they would move heaven and hell for him? Of course I do. But I don't resent him for having the feelings that he does simply because he has the kind of parents I could only wish for. I understand that we all live under different circumstances and that we have different reactions to those circumstances. I guess it's easier for me to be sympathetic to the OP because I've experienced conflict regarding race, but there are a lot of people whose problems I simply cannot understand. However I'll never reduce the said person's pain or deem it invalid because I know people are different and how they react to things isn't wrong because we're all unique.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:34 AM

15,676 posts, read 10,454,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en_ View Post
Indeed. People who grew up privileged aren't allowed to be human. They aren't allowed to feel pain, confusion, sadness, depression, etc.

That's basically the gist of your post.
Privileged people are human. The OP, on the other hand, is a selfish, self-indulgent jerk.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:20 AM

1,373 posts, read 2,964,731 times
Quote:
When my parents found out I was marrying a black man, they cut me off. Didn't even come to my wedding. I didn't hear from them until I was pregnant. I cannot adequately describe the pain and anger I felt throughout that period. Do I envy the OP for having parents that sound like they would move heaven and hell for him? Of course I do. But I don't resent him for having the feelings that he does simply because he has the kind of parents I could only wish for. I understand that we all live under different circumstances and that we have different reactions to those circumstances. I guess it's easier for me to be sympathetic to the OP because I've experienced conflict regarding race, but there are a lot of people whose problems I simply cannot understand. However I'll never reduce the said person's pain or deem it invalid because I know people are different and how they react to things isn't wrong because we're all unique.
Really? Where do you live? I thought inter-racial relationships where common nowadays & I thought people no longer blink an eye. I'm surprised and saddened to hear about this in this day and age.

I also thought the Kardashians have made it ""fashionable"". Not only the Kardashians, pretty much every prominent member of the NFL is married to a white woman. White supermodels like Heidi Klum and Doutzen Krous are married to black guys. It seems very fashionable nowadays. Anyone else realized this new trend?

Old 12-01-2013, 09:09 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,253,528 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Really? Where do you live? I thought inter-racial relationships where common nowadays & I thought people no longer blink an eye. I'm surprised and saddened to hear about this in this day and age.

I also thought the Kardashians have made it ""fashionable"". Not only the Kardashians, pretty much every prominent member of the NFL is married to a white woman. White supermodels like Heidi Klum and Doutzen Krous are married to black guys. It seems very fashionable nowadays. Anyone else realized this new trend?
Sadly, outside of many major cities and many University towns, inter-racial relationships are still very much frowned upon and are definitely not common. Although, it is very sad when parents don't accept the person that their adult child loves it still happens. And, I think that it happens a lot more often than most people realize. In many rural and small communities a Christian dating/marrying a Jewish person or a Hindu or Muslim is also considered an inter-racial relationship.

In real life most people don't consider what movie stars, supermodels or NFL players do as something that they or their friends and neighbors would/should do as well. It may be a "trend" among the super wealthy and the super famous but that doesn't mean that John and Jane Doe would do it as well.

Just to clarify, I'm white and I personally am not opposed to inter-racial dating and have dated men of all races (when I was single) and seriously considered marrying a man, who happened to be black, back in the 1970s but even today, IMHO, it really is not totally accepted by some/many people in the US.

Last edited by germaine2626; 12-01-2013 at 09:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships