Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 02:21 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,964,579 times

Advertisements

As for not having kids some people just don't or never had the desire. I love kids but I never wanted any. I'm a great uncle and I know that's my limitation. As for marriage to me that seems like prison. I just wouldn't take some of the things my married male friends go through. I'd walk.. So why put any woman through it? It's just not me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 03:20 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
I would much rather be alone than be with someone who makes me miserable.
Me too!

Old 12-21-2013, 04:36 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,313,615 times
Marriage is not for everyone. Personally, I am planning my marriage, and I can't wait. However, it will be the first one for me, so I am not jaded yet. If you don't want to remarry, you shouldn't. Don't worry about what others say; just say I have done that and it was not for me. Then, leave it alone. Hopefully, they will not ask you again.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:58 PM

799 posts, read 1,549,942 times
the kids or no kids thing is on another thread. don't disrupt the conversation here.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:41 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Marriage is not for everyone. Personally, I am planning my marriage, and I can't wait. However, it will be the first one for me, so I am not jaded yet. If you don't want to remarry, you shouldn't. Don't worry about what others say; just say I have done that and it was not for me. Then, leave it alone. Hopefully, they will not ask you again.
Congratulations on the upcoming marriage. Don't let us scare you, marriage can be great and is. I enjoyed the 28 years I was married, loved having my two Sons, and don't regret for one second being married. But that was then and this is now, and some of us, who have gotten that behind us, simply like the freedom we are experiencing being single now.

In some respects I think marriage is for the young(er) people, especially with the ones who want to have children. Having kids makes it all worthwhile, but when they grow up some of us decide it is time for us to be a little selfish and enjoy our final days in a more simple way.

Don

Old 12-21-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Congratulations on the upcoming marriage. Don't let us scare you, marriage can be great and is. I enjoyed the 28 years I was married, loved having my two Sons, and don't regret for one second being married. But that was then and this is now, and some of us, who have gotten that behind us, simply like the freedom we are experiencing being single now.

In some respects I think marriage is for the young(er) people, especially with the ones who want to have children. Having kids makes it all worthwhile, but when they grow up some of us decide it is time for us to be a little selfish and enjoy our final days in a more simple way.

Don
Thanks. You should not feel pressured to do anything you don't want to do.

Old 12-22-2013, 04:09 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

Don
And I have seen a few opposite cases where older people who were single all their lives found someone they love and got married. They seem to have happy successful marriages. Guess, at that point in life, marriage doesnt have the "drama" that goes with raising young kids while trying to keep your head above water financially.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:51 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Marriage and LTR both offer the presence of a caring partner and the stability and support that often comes along with that.

The financial commitment is different. Many don't want to risk losing half of what they manage to gather up in the world.

The emotional commitment is different. Though some vow that they have a lifetime commitment and don't need a piece of paper to prove it, for others, if things head south it's, "Adios," without a lot of fuss and bother.

Someone asked earlier about what happens if one gets quite ill. In the three situations I know about where the couple was no longer married, the men returned home to be cared for by the former wife during the final battle with cancer. I don't know what happened to the women they were living with at the time.

"Living together," is connected to LTR in my mind and implies mutual enjoyment of each other's company at the present time. That this lasts a lifetime is due to the commitment they make each day to stay.

The prenup is an attempt to limit the financial commitment of marriage. For many, it undermines the emotional commitment as well.

You have to weigh what you want in the world and what you're willing to risk to get it.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:57 AM

799 posts, read 1,549,942 times
I think this thread has gotten off course. The OP was saying that she has no interest in marriage and that others had a hard time believing that. Now we have people posting that they can't wait for their upcoming marriage. Can we move back to the actual topic?

Old 12-22-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
I think this thread has gotten off course. The OP was saying that she has no interest in marriage and that others had a hard time believing that. Now we have people posting that they can't wait for their upcoming marriage. Can we move back to the actual topic?
I am the one you are referring to, and if you read my whole post, you would see it is on topic. The OP should do exactly what she wants, no matter what others expect. And you should read the whole post before you comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships