Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 06:09 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishfan77 View Post
That doesn't go over too well when one party is pouting profusely and giving one word answers that go nowhere. This is how it would go down, I bet every dollar I earn between now and 2050.

Me: How are we going to spend the rest of our lives?
Her: I don't know
Me: What are our priorities?

^ I guarantee that that would be the totality of our conversation
You forgot the last part in that conversation:

Followed by Irish: "I'm sorry for asking....here...let me go buy you something...or even better, here's my credit card...go buy yourself something nice. I'm sorry. And once more for good measure...I'm so sorry for upsetting you. After all, you DID have to endure pregnancy, childbirth as well as child rearing. That's an awful lot to have dealt with. I'm sorry again.

<slinks off to play video games and log onto CD to complain about his wife>

Old 05-31-2014, 06:11 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Not saying I'm going to do it, but, I know her, and there's only 1 thing that will get her to talk to me. Starts with a J, ends with -ewelry
You should get her a gift more appropriate for her behavior: starts with a j, ends with -uicebox.

For real, though, this is how the conversation SHOULD go ....

You: You can "not talk" to me all you want, but you need to know that I am not going to respond the way I used to. I have not done anything wrong, so your "punishment" of the cold shoulder won't work.
If you don't understand that, then we need to go to more sessions with the marriage counselor. I'll be in the [insert whatever activity here as you go on with your day] if you need me.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:38 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
That doesn't go over too well when one party is pouting profusely and giving one word answers that go nowhere. This is how it would go down, I bet every dollar I earn between now and 2050.

Me: How are we going to spend the rest of our lives?
Me: What are our priorities?

^ I guarantee that that would be the totality of our conversation
Why do you take everything so literally? What do you talk about when you go out to dinner? Next time you are both in a decent mood and go out for a face-to-face meal, talk about the future. You are both stuck on talking about the past. Memories are nice, but the past is over. Talk about your future.

"Now that our son is an adult and almost out of the house, is there anything new you'd like to try?" "anyplace else you'd want to live?" "Any trips you'd like to take?" If she brings up the condo again, tell her you'd like to invest in something you can both enjoy. Tell her you can't afford it (if you can't). Tell her you could consider that if you downsize your current house, or whatever.

If she really gives one word answers, take it up at therapy. You can't just have her ask for things like a child, then say "no" like you are the adult. That is not how marriages work. There needs to be compromise, give and take. You can't compromise if you don't discuss.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:07 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Not saying I'm going to do it, but, I know her, and there's only 1 thing that will get her to talk to me. Starts with a J, ends with -ewelry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You should get her a gift more appropriate for her behavior: starts with a j, ends with -uicebox.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:15 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,233,898 times
Quote:
someone please slap me for getting involved in this silly thread.

you, irish...are just feeding into this whole thread with such stupidity. this cannot be real. i am sorry but this is so ridiculous. i'm amazed at all the people who are sucked in and continue to keep this thread going. if all of this is true, your life with your wife, and this whole thing...you two are so superficial that you can't actually ever have a real conversation with each other about real life, then you are two very sad human beings. i don't believe a word of any of this.

when is this thread going to die...

Old 06-01-2014, 03:30 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
A sane, emotionally healthy man would've got started on one thing: starts with a D, ends with with a -ivorce.

What is wrong with you? Clearly neither sane nor emotionally healthy. You need to grow up, get normal and move on with your life.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:53 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Irish -

This thread has the second highest number of posts of all time on the non-romantic relationships forum.

You've also posted about the situation (not including Rachel, but this thread is not primarily about the situation with her) on the parenting and relationships forums, generating hundreds of replies.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that you've only taken one piece of advice offered. One. That was to attend counseling. But here's the thing. Simply making an appointment and sitting in some chairs in a counselor's office doesn't do diddly squat. I see very little evidence based on your posts that even you, much less your wife, are actually taking counseling seriously. It's just even more money going down the drain.

I don't think you're happy with the situation. If you were, it would be okay. But you wouldn't be posting here about it if you weren't. So what are you doing to fix it? Posting play-by-play updates of everything your wife says on CD? It's almost like reading a drama. Perhaps it's about venting to you. If all you want is to vent, that's fine. However, I wouldn't expect anything to change.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:54 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I don't think you're happy with the situation. If you were, it would be okay. But you wouldn't be posting here about it if you weren't. So what are you doing to fix it? Posting play-by-play updates of everything your wife says on CD? It's almost like reading a drama. Perhaps it's about venting to you. If all you want is to vent, that's fine. However, I wouldn't expect anything to change.
Correction - you wouldn't be posting here about it if you WERE happy with it. Sorry for the typo.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:40 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
I stopped thinking it was real a long time ago. Now it's just entertainment. No one with an ounce of self respect would be married to such a vacuous manipulator that is just in it for the money.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:02 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
Closed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships