Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 02:11 AM

778 posts, read 823,914 times

Advertisements

Always pick the option that'll make for a better story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 07:03 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,866,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
That's just the thing, I leave on my trip on May 15th.

Makes the timetable a bit more cramped between school, work, internship and graduation.
Can you take vacation time from work?

Old 04-18-2014, 07:52 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,501,736 times
I would keep the job, move out and then find a better job before quitting. The way to guarantee you don't have to live under your father's thumb any more is to become independent--move out and pay your own way. Not having a job threatens that security. You need to keep the job you have even if it's disgusting until you find a better one. The janitor who cleans toilets at night doesn't like that either--but it's it's a job and he needs to eat.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:05 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
I'm on a bit of a set course, involves driving through most of Texas and onward to Mississippi and then to Tennessee.

I got a campus tour lined up at Ole Miss, and a Vanderbilt professor who wants to show me around as well.

I'm still debating whether to take my tried and true 98 Chevy Silverado, or a rental.
Take your truck, especially if you know how to work on it. If you don't know how to work on it, take it to a mechanic before you go and ask them to check all the belts, hoses and other things that can leave you stranded. A rental will cost too much.

I'm in the "just take off" camp. I understand your parents being fearful of you wandering around the world but now is the time to do it if you're ever going to. Look at some schools and just enjoy being on the road. You've finished school while working and saving money so it's not like you're an irresponsible kid who's never worked a day in his life.

Let us know what happens.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Sure, quit your job, **** off your dad, get kicked out of the house, become another defiant scrub like the rest of the losers out there that just have to strain against authority. Good luck with that, Kid.
Are you sure you're not his dad?

He's about to be a 22-year-old college graduate who has saved up $5,000 and wants to take a few weeks to drive around the country and look at some grad schools. He's not turning his back on his family, or quitting his job as a doctor to start a rock band. What's the big deal?

Old 04-18-2014, 08:17 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
I'm guessing your parents have been footing the bill for all your expenses all along, and now it's time you moved out into your own apartment and started paying for your own car, phone, etc. They don't want you to spend the money on the trip because they want you to act like an adult and move out! What don't you get about that?

Old 04-18-2014, 08:18 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
When I graduate, I'll be taking a road trip back east to clear my conscience and visit a couple Grad schools.

I have the money saved up, but I also have it stressed to move out, which I also want to do. But I also REALLY want to quit my job. After a few disgusting things I've seen there in the last little while, I just want to quit when the semester ends and go hunting for work after a few weeks of travelling around.

Dad doesn't want me to quit, yells when I talk about quitting. My resolve towards it has become stronger because it could just give me a reason to defy him once and for all.

So, should I quit and take my trip but plan on moving out with the risk of finding my stuff in the front yard when I get back home. Or, just take the two weeks off at my job for my trip, because I'll need the money to move out.
Always good to read your posts, Kid.

Why don't you see if you can get yourself a job somewhere else? Mississippi or Tennessee, for example. There are always employers looking for educated people, and you have placed yourself squarely in that category.
The new job in the new town will give you a darn good reason to leave, and while you are looking for a job and making phone calls you can keep your old job. That way your folks won't feel so threatened.

Find your job. Plan the move. Take everything with you.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:20 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Are you sure you're not his dad?

He's about to be a 22-year-old college graduate who has saved up $5,000 and wants to take a few weeks to drive around the country and look at some grad schools. He's not turning his back on his family, or quitting his job as a doctor to start a rock band. What's the big deal?
Yeah I deleted that post.

The big deal is, they want him to move out, and he could be using that money to get an apartment. Instead he wants to spend it on a trip, and they know he'll come back home begging to stay in his room til he finds another job.

They are trying to get him to be an adult.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:26 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times
Is this job that you want to quit full time or part time?

Is it in the field you want to be in or is it just a job that you need to bring in some $$$? If you'll need references from this job, you need to exit gracefully, so in that case, I'd recommend that you talk to the boss/manager and quit the job amicably before you leave. If you don't care if you burn your bridges at this job, then you can go on your trip and then quit when you come back. My inclination is to not burn your bridges. That has always been my strategy in my 40+ years of employment, and it's worked out well. You never know how things are going to turn out, and a good reputation/reference is invaluable.

I would not forego your trip. I would not worry about what your parents "think" as they seem to be reluctant to let you make your own mistakes. Go and see the world.

PS -- if you are looking for full time employment, keep in mind that Enterprise hires lots of young college grads and so does GEICO in its call/services centers. These might be alternatives to your current job.

PSS -- Listener2307 has a good idea. You've got a truck ... maybe just take your stuff.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Yeah I deleted that post.

The big deal is, they want him to move out, and he could be using that money to get an apartment. Instead he wants to spend it on a trip, and they know he'll come back home begging to stay in his room til he finds another job.

They are trying to get him to be an adult.
He claims that he wants to move across the country and go to grad school and that's part of what this trip is for. In any case, it's not like he's some worthless free-loader. Yes he lives at home, but he's taken out loans for school and says he pays for his truck insurance and his credit card. If he travels cheaply he'll still have most of his $5,000 left when he gets back home.

If you've read some of his other threads you'll see that his parents are dead set against him moving off and going to grad school. It seems unfair that they are trying to both kick him out and dictate how he's supposed to live the rest of his life. He's trying to get out, but IMO, going about it carefully and thoughtfully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships