Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 01:49 PM

632 posts, read 754,104 times

Advertisements

Everdeen
We're talking about 2 old guys who grew up in a tiny rural community, in the pre-WW2 era. They came from a long gone era of genteelity. In short the two old fellows were perfectly harmless and quite respectful by those older standards. The NJ A hole belittled a man in public and on his own property. . The NJ A hole deserved a solid southern style A** kicking and there were a number of the locals who wanted to gift him with one. At the time, his actions could just as easily have gotten him killed, right on the spot, for disrespect.

The two shop owners were very gentle souls who never meant to offend anyone. They even asked that he be left alone. It was actually pretty amazing just how alone everyone, within quite a few miles radius, left him. No one would work for him and a helping hand was never again extended his way.

As for your feelings.... all I can say is "I really really don't care".... LOL. Bless your all too easily offended little thumping gizzard [/sarcasm]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 03:05 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,694,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedge1 View Post
Everdeen
We're talking about 2 old guys who grew up in a tiny rural community, in the pre-WW2 era. They came from a long gone era of genteelity. In short the two old fellows were perfectly harmless and quite respectful by those older standards. The NJ A hole belittled a man in public and on his own property. . The NJ A hole deserved a solid southern style A** kicking and there were a number of the locals who wanted to gift him with one. At the time, his actions could just as easily have gotten him killed, right on the spot, for disrespect.

The two shop owners were very gentle souls who never meant to offend anyone. They even asked that he be left alone. It was actually pretty amazing just how alone everyone, within quite a few miles radius, left him. No one would work for him and a helping hand was never again extended his way.

As for your feelings.... all I can say is "I really really don't care".... LOL. Bless your all too easily offended little thumping gizzard
[/sarcasm]
I don't know where this is coming from, but my feelings were not offended for this man one way or other. In fact, I figured, based on your characterization, that he was a jerk.

But what if he wasn't a jerk? What if he was just some fellow who didn't want to be called honey (or boy) by an older man? Does everyone deserve to be treated in a way that is largely considered offensive all because he doesn't know some microcosmic colloquialism? As a female, I can assure that some older men come off creepy when they call you honey. I can only imagine how it might sound to another man who has never been around a culture where that was considered acceptable.

I was raised in a time when it was required to respect your elders. If an older person, especially an elderly person, calls me honey or dear, it doesn't bother me much and even it did, I would not say anything - you know, the whole respect thing.

When a young person uses it with a person who is old enough to be their mother, it's condescending. But then again, the whole respect is treated with ire, so I guess, it shouldn't surprise me.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:58 PM

20,457 posts, read 14,812,820 times
I generally find these endearments...endearing. There are very few exceptions and there is no rule one can follow to know if they are on the right or wrong side of it with me...aside from asking oneself questions about motivation.

I'm really hard to offend as a rule. But if this kind of language is used by, say, a drunk dude who also feels the need to obviously look at my chest, put his hand on my arm or shoulder, or go on to hit on me...um, no thanks! But I'm not a little hottie club-goer, this tends to happen (rarely) when I'm at a bar to shoot pool with my league, which also includes my husband, and it's typically really skeevy and quite inebriated men who are old enough to be my father that do this. Which means that, on account of the alcohol, they are overly persistent despite me mentioning that I'm married and despite all of my cues for them to stop.

In this kind of situation, "honey" or "sweetheart" is the least of my issues. I'd rather that person not say anything to me, after a point, y'know?

Other that that, I don't mind, and I do it occasionally myself.

I don't like "ma'am" however. To me it sounds like a bleating sort of noise like a sheep or goat would make. I just find it phonetically annoying.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:05 PM

11,416 posts, read 9,343,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
If you come to Baltimore, you'd better be ready to get called "Hon".
I recently lived there for almost 2 years and I was never called that.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am in my 60s although I don't think it necessarily matters, since the people who called me Sweetheart, Darlin, and Sweetie, called others the same thing.
My dental hygienist kept calling me Sweetheart. The drunken guy at the liquor store calls me Darlin', and the waitress at lunch today called everyone she waited on Sweetie.
It drives me nuts. Maybe its a southern thing?
You're not the only one. May I add: Especially the patronizing ones..

Old 12-02-2014, 04:41 PM

26,709 posts, read 41,881,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
If you come to Baltimore, you'd better be ready to get called "Hon".
I party there all the time, not one "hon" spoken to me.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:25 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,268,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Maybe it is "a southern thing," but in NYC the streetwalkers would come on with the same lingo; thus, I always think working-girl-on-her-day-job when I hear it from a waitress.

How rude.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:11 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,295,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I recently lived there for almost 2 years and I was never called that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I party there all the time, not one "hon" spoken to me.

I'm very surprised to hear that. I'm guessing that you both are mostly around younger people, who don't use the expression (or have distinct Baltimore accents) as much as older city residents.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:58 AM

13,728 posts, read 10,096,874 times
This is so sad, just let people be nice, Babe.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:35 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,337,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferF1 View Post
I love being called baby girl but some I realize that might mean I have daddy issues...

LOL I married a man who is very much like my own father. I have a good relationship with my father, and I have a great relationship with my husband.

He only uses the phrase VERY rarely, but once a year or so, if he's feeling very tender, my husband will call me "Baby Girl," and my heart absolutely melts.

To clarify, he doesn't use that phrase, errrr, romantically. He usually uses it if I've done something that he considers touchingly sweet or a little silly, like crying over kittens or being excited about a fancy pedicure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships