Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 11:48 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,982,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am in my 60s although I don't think it necessarily matters, since the people who called me Sweetheart, Darlin, and Sweetie, called others the same thing.
My dental hygienist kept calling me Sweetheart. The drunken guy at the liquor store calls me Darlin', and the waitress at lunch today called everyone she waited on Sweetie.
It drives me nuts. Maybe its a southern thing?
LOL - I'm a guy and when a pretty young lady I don't know calls me honey or darlin, it lifts my spirits - I don't mind at all. Doesn't happen often (I mostly see it in the service industry), but when it does I tip more ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 12:18 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,673,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
It's bad manners to use a term of endearment with a stranger. It is especially bad manners when that person is older than you. And the excuse, "That's just the way I am with everyone" when using an inappropriate endearment with someone with whom you do not have a shared, endearing relationship is crappy, low-life excuse.

I am absolutely aghast when a young person, whom I don't know, calls me honey or sweetie or any number of other names you would use with a child.

I used to work with a man that referred to many of the women as princess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
I could see how it would be inappropriate with a young person addressing an older person. I can agree with that.

I have seniority. If I call some waitress or clerk "dear", and she gets all torqued off about it, I'd reply
"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know you were an [expletive deleted].
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It's bad manners. And, as evidence with the above two posts, bad manners are okay with some people. It also shows that the people who would have you believe that honey, darling, dear, or whatever, are acts of kindness, are really mean spirited.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:29 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,650,355 times
Where I live now I'm called honey a fair amt. of time. Very nice actually. When I was in my 20's, I would have thought it condescending. See how things change!

Old 12-01-2014, 01:44 PM

11,367 posts, read 9,279,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Heard this all the time when I lived in Kentucky. Definitely a south thing. Never liked it. Glad I live in a more "Yankee" area like Northern VA where I rarely hear it.
i'm way older than you are and lived in this area my entire life. I cannot recall any stranger ever saying that to me.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:44 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,384,679 times
It really depends on the situation and who is doing the calling. There was a guy that used to work in my department that called everyone "Mate", I felt he was just too lazy to make an effort to remember everyone's name. I did not want to be called "Mate".
Every so often one of my top Managers called me honey. When he says it, it is always endearing. I prefer those words be used from someone that means something to me. I don't think I want to be called honey/sweetie by strangers.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:44 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,309,885 times
As a man, I didn't mind being called 'honey' or 'darlin' by people when I lived in the south.
it was pretty weird at first though, i had never heard that before.
One thing I can't stand though is being called "buddy" all the time.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:59 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
It's bad manners. And, as evidence with the above two posts, bad manners are okay with some people. It also shows that the people who would have you believe that honey, darling, dear, or whatever, are acts of kindness, are really mean spirited.
Oh, please. And don't worry - I won't call you honey or any other endearing term because frankly I don't find you all that endearing.

But don't be offended - I don't call people "Honey" or "Sweetie" randomly. In fact, I only use those terms for family member or my closest friends. That being said, I do hear some people use terms like that with the general public and I personally always get a kick out of it. I think it's sort of cute. I certainly don't read anything into it - but then I'm a very secure person who would actually think it was FUNNY if some old guy or some used car salesman or a waitress thought that using those terms with a stranger actually "put them in their place" or "showed who was superior." I think that's sort of ridiculous!

Old 12-01-2014, 03:03 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,912,890 times
It doesn't bother me one bit,
Better than some other words people have used
towards me in the past.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:36 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,384,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reprot View Post
... being addressed as part of a collective as "you guys" makes me see red.
omg! I really dislike the "you guys" too!!!

Old 12-01-2014, 03:41 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
Gotta love the come to jesus moment my aunts used to say that all the time . The one about ' she don't even know she is in the world LOL gotta to find one to use that one on . also the imma slayed me ...LOL . all these women in that video remind me of the women and talk I used to hear on my grands porch while these women were having their hair done and the aqua net and the peanuts in the pepsi bottles flowing ... Good times they were and I consider myself blessed to have been raised around some of the finest women I can recall and they taught me a lot including how to teach people how to treat us .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships