Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 11:17 AM

5 posts, read 5,405 times

Advertisements

It wouldn't bother me if it came from an older person but it still irks me. I generally don't like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 12:05 PM

33,003 posts, read 36,546,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Here in California, everyone holds the door for everyone. Gender is irrelevant. Women hold the door for women, men hold the door for men. I haven't seen it deteriorate at all. Granted, if you're 100 feet away, no one's going to wait. But I've never had anyone let a door shut in my face.
I've seen that in every place I've lived. The majority of people are pretty decent.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:08 PM

50,443 posts, read 64,273,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
So many threads on this already, OP did you do a search before starting this one?

My previous response in these threads still stands: yes, I live in the south and yes I'm older than dirt, and yes this is a common problem, and no, there's no excuse for medical so-called professionals to whom I pay megabucks to not call me by name when they have my file in front of them. It's not friendly, it's not nice, it's not cordial or polite, it's demeaning as hell. The very next time a dental hygienist calls me sweetie, I'm calling her sugarpussy.
So I guess you and I are about the only cranky old ladies who don't like being talked down to like a child by young people? If a person my own age does it, I'm not offended.

It's about as sincere as people who say "I Love You" every 15 seconds, like an involuntary hiccough.

Don't even get me started on everybody hugging strangers.

By the way, I am seriously a warm and friendly person most of the time.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:29 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 11 days ago)

16,102 posts, read 21,249,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
So I guess you and I are about the only cranky old ladies who don't like being talked down to like a child by young people? If a person my own age does it, I'm not offended.
I used to only be bothered when it WAS someone my own age, it just seemed odd. But that was years ago when I first lived in the south, I don't bat an eyelash now.
Please, don't take it as being talked down to, it's not meant that way at all . It's just like when people from other areas address a group as 'you guys,' it doesn't really mean they are only talking to the men in the group.
It's also not meant to be sincere, why would it be? It's just a way of being friendly. Do you always mean it whenever you ask "hi, how are you? good day, great to see you, let's keep in contact, let's do lunch, that's a nice haircut" or any of the other things you might say just to be polite?

Last edited by DubbleT; 11-30-2014 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: formatting issues urghhh

Old 11-30-2014, 12:45 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,522,618 times
A bit annoying, unless it's some older lady in CO from TX/OK doing it, which was often the case. I can tolerate that.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:00 PM

106 posts, read 141,416 times
Darlin or luv doesn't bother me, honey and sweetheart is from my husband but being addressed as part of a collective as "you guys" makes me see red. DH says I'm being petty, maybe so, it still makes me twitch when it happens

Old 11-30-2014, 04:07 PM

810 posts, read 1,452,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
With what I've bolded you've removed all credibility from yourself.
I would call your attention to the fact that you're a mean-spirited person, but mean-spirited people take recognition as a compliment.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:15 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,522,618 times
Almost as bad is when guys from the South call everyone buddy, " Hey buddy whacha doingg "

Not trying to slam the South but my exp shows it most often comes from people from there and/or living there.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:22 PM

8,179 posts, read 8,406,787 times
I don't like it but after living in Texas for so many years, I just accept this is what happens sometimes when I interact with people. I file it under "don't sweat the small stuff" and ignore it.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:34 PM

420 posts, read 705,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I don't like it but after living in Texas for so many years, I just accept this is what happens sometimes when I interact with people. I file it under "don't sweat the small stuff" and ignore it.
I grew up on the other side of Texas. People don't call you "honey" they call you "mija", or "mijo" which I use to love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships