Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 07:51 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,281,604 times

Advertisements

Do you wear any kind of badge for your job? I wear a security badge to get in my building. If I wear it into any store, I get approached with questions. The employees of a store could have uniforms shaped like a kangaroo, but if I wear regular clothes plus the badge, I get approached. If I remove the badge, no more questions.

I wonder about people sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 07:57 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,750,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
When I used to be in sales, I would wear a suit and tie. I would have this happen a lot, as people would assume I was a manager or something.
Agree with this, if you are dressed nicer than most customers, and you walk around with confidence, than some people will mistake you for a manager.

I dress nicely for work look approachable I guess, and will get stopped by customers wanting help occasionally. It does not happen enough that it really bugs me, but maybe 4 or 5 times a year. Not really a big deal.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:02 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,986,422 times
Never.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:15 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
No badge.

In fact, I am usually not dressed for work. Just casual attire.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:24 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
OP it happens to lots of people. Don't over analyze it.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:34 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,608,945 times
I accidentally did that to someone in Walmart the other day. I thought she was an employee because:
A. It was very cold out and she wasn't wearing a coat
B. she had no shopping cart but was carrying a half-dozen shirts on hangers
C. No purse

But she wasn't an employee despite the "evidence." I apologized.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:42 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
This happens to me occasionally. I have no idea why. I think a lot of people just aren't very observant.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:22 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,379,892 times
I disposed of all blue shirts. In the hardware store everybody assumes I'm in charge of the tool department.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:23 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,072,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
But many times, when I am at a store, other shoppers will assume I do and start asking questions or ask if I work there.

Any ideas why?

This happens even if there tends to be a dress code for the employees (or aprons or name badges).

Yesterday it happened at Petco, and I was wearing scrubs!
People often ask me where something is located in a store. Not because they think I work there, but because they just assume I know, or for whatever reason I look like I know. Usually I don't know because I rarely shop. I give them my best guess.

What is really weird is when they ask my opinion about something they want to buy. It could be anything from hardware to electronics to fashion.

Years ago before cells and gps, people often asked me for directions. More often than not this would happen when I was in a strange city and knew nothing about it myself.

Maybe these things above happen to many people but I've never heard anyone talk about it happening with the frequency it has happened to me.

So maybe you are the same and those people don't assume you work there. Maybe you just look confident and like you know stuff.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:27 PM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
I remember reading a story a few years ago about a man who was traveling. He was wearing a business jacket, and his plane was delayed and the hold space was crowded and he couldn't find a seat, so he went to the empty desk near the gate and opened up his laptop and started to do some work.

Immediately, a line formed and people started asking him questions about the flight delays. He said, "No, no...I'm just a passenger, no one was here, I'm just using the desk to get some work done" but people didn't believe him and started shouting at him and threatening to call his supervisor. He just shut his laptop and walked away with everyone still yelling after him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships