Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 12:31 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekab23 View Post
I wear a red polo shirt with our companies name and logo on them. Do you know HOW MANY companies use red polo shirts???? I get approached constantly. Especially the grocery store that uses the same coloring of clothing that I wear to work. Also, don't EVER go to Walmart wearing khakis, black dress slacks or a navy blue top. People will not leave you alone
LOLOL That is soooo true! I work for Walmart and I tell my friends to never wear 'Walmart colors' when they go there. Now we have navy blue vests that are obviously Walmart so not as much confusion. Now I feel like I've got a big yellow 'target' on my back though. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 12:42 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Do you wear any kind of badge for your job? I wear a security badge to get in my building. If I wear it into any store, I get approached with questions. The employees of a store could have uniforms shaped like a kangaroo, but if I wear regular clothes plus the badge, I get approached. If I remove the badge, no more questions.

I wonder about people sometimes.
We're not supposed to wear our name tags if we are on break, lunch or just off the clock. Silly rule but we mostly follow it. Some people just turn their tags backwards. We aren't supposed to help people if we are on break or lunch either and that one IS dumb. We can't control who might approach us for help or when. If we DO help someone they want us to report it but we don't. I don't care if I get paid for that minute or not.

I wonder about people ALL the time. lol

Old 12-20-2014, 04:06 PM

6,395 posts, read 6,282,580 times
I get this a lot too. I think i get if the most when I have been in a certain area for "more time than usual" comparing products.

I probably look like I'm stocking or something as opposed to being a diligent shopper!

Old 12-20-2014, 04:19 PM

11,375 posts, read 9,289,994 times
It's happened to me several times.

I've made a career being a Federal Government contractor and while going out for lunch or right after work I will have my ID and security card hanging around my neck. Apparently that makes me a store employee, LOL. I'm always polite and just blow it off.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:49 PM

22,475 posts, read 12,011,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post

Years ago before cells and gps, people often asked me for directions. More often than not this would happen when I was in a strange city and knew nothing about it myself.
Not meaning to hijack the thread but, this resonates with me.

We like to visit NYC and many times people approach us to ask for directions. Or if we're waiting for a subway train people ask for subway directions. I'm pleased that I've been able to help them all Maybe to them, my husband and I look like locals.

Same idea, as others pointed out, when you're in a store and people assume you work there when you don't. I remember once when my husband and I were in an Apple store looking for an employee to help us. I saw a guy who had a polo shirt on that was the exact same color as the ones that the Apple employees wear and almost approached him. When I got close enough, I saw that his shirt had another company's name on it. I wonder if other people went up to him and asked questions.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:50 PM

6,590 posts, read 4,982,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post

Years ago before cells and gps, people often asked me for directions. More often than not this would happen when I was in a strange city and knew nothing about it.
I often get stopped while biking. I can 30 miles from home at that point. I usually don't even know what town I'm in on a long loop, much less how to get to a particular road. And that never fails to **** people off.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:01 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,233,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekab23 View Post
I wear a red polo shirt with our companies name and logo on them. Do you know HOW MANY companies use red polo shirts???? I get approached constantly. Especially the grocery store that uses the same coloring of clothing that I wear to work. Also, don't EVER go to Walmart wearing khakis, black dress slacks or a navy blue top. People will not leave you alone
In Safeway this afternoon, I was looking FOREVER for a clerk when two guys in the exact same red polo shirts came out from a cashier area and I immediately asked them "do you work here?", they didn't but sure looked like it based on what they were wearing!

Old 12-20-2014, 06:16 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,315,264 times
Hmmm... Are you one of those people with OCD? Do you rearrange or straighten store shelving, etc.? If so, that could be it.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:36 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Hmmm... Are you one of those people with OCD? Do you rearrange or straighten store shelving, etc.? If so, that could be it.
Probably more like, "There is a young brown female. Prolly works here."

Old 12-20-2014, 06:54 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,072,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Probably more like, "There is a young brown female. Prolly works here."
OIC, you were going for the victim of racism angle.

As you should have concluded by now, it happens to people of all colors, sizes and gender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships