Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 10:57 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times

Advertisements

It happens to me ocassionally. But most often in department stores. I never wear all black anywhere. for me it usually ends up like this:

Someone starts saying "miss". They repeat this a few times and it gets louder. I do not assume they are talkimg to me. Then i get a rude excuser me and someone in my space. And they ask their question. I give them a very confused look, like i don't speak english. And then say i don't work here affirmatively. This is a quite specific demo who behaves this way with faux politeness followed by outrage. I do not get the friendly requesters anymore often. Most of the time i am irrutated as several actual labelled employees will have walked by and these people seek me out and follow me around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 07:29 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,688,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
But many times, when I am at a store, other shoppers will assume I do and start asking questions or ask if I work there.

Any ideas why?

This happens even if there tends to be a dress code for the employees (or aprons or name badges).

Yesterday it happened at Petco, and I was wearing scrubs!
Because employees at stores nowadays stopped wearing the vests/smocks like they used to and the little name tag they wear is hidden so nobody can see it (without close observation). So basically they cant tell an employee from a customer.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:46 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Quote:
But many times, when I am at a store, other shoppers will assume I do and start asking questions or ask if I work there.

Any ideas why?

This happens even if there tends to be a dress code for the employees (or aprons or name badges).

I too assume it means you look friendly and approachable. People tend to ask me for directions in the street even when I am a visitor to the place and I too have always wondered why.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:10 PM

997 posts, read 1,061,691 times
I was at IKEA with my daughter on Friday searching for something with specific dimensions, so I grabbed one of the paper tape measures they have at the entrance to the store. We were looking at a piece, and I started measuring the shelves to see if it would suit my needs, and this guy came up to me and asked where the microwave carts could be found. I looked at him and replied that I had no idea as it was the first time I'd ever been in this particular store. He started laughing hysterically and apologized, stating that when he saw me measuring the furniture, he just assumed that I worked there, even though I was wearing my winter coat in the store.

It has happened to me before, but not that frequently.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:49 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
Quote:

Any ideas why?

Well, don't get a big head.....But, sometimes single ladies/men will try this approach. You might be missing an opportunity to connect with someone.....Just go with it. I'm sure some friendships have started in stranger ways.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:53 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Maybe because they think you work there?

One time I made the mistake of going into Target wearing khakis and a red shirt.

ONCE.
I've done that!

My husband used to wear a royal blue polo for work. He looked like a Best Buy employee.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:05 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,917,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
In most stores I've been in recently I've noted that those working there have become very skilled at avoiding eye contact with customers and dodging them quickly before they can ask for help. They work harder at that than their job. People are just going after the most approachable and apparently available human there.
um... actually the truth is employees do that so they CAN work harder at their job.

Blame corporate. They understaff so badly employees get sick of hearing " why isn't this or that done?". If they get too busy with customers, there's no proof of it so management doesn't get why no work has been done. Employees learn quickly to avoid the customers in order to get some actual work done.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:53 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
In most stores I've been in recently I've noted that those working there have become very skilled at avoiding eye contact with customers and dodging them quickly before they can ask for help. They work harder at that than their job. People are just going after the most approachable and apparently available human there.

Well, maybe they are on their fifteen minute break or thirty minute lunch and since they can't "make up" any time they may lose if they stop - and they can't claim it as time worked- they just don't have the time.

Spoken like someone who has never worked retail.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:34 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Well, I'm white and people have asked me if I've worked in a place before---but I definitely do not have a friendly face. (And I have seen people ask others if they've worked in a place before.) Honestly, I think people are just lazy and hope the closest person to them works there so they don't have to find someone to ask a question. Given your experiences and where you are, I could see why you would wonder, since you may have not lived in other areas. (Unless you have...)
I think this is the case. I've been asked where things are in Walmart and I wasn't even wearing blue.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:37 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,177,104 times
This has only happened once to me (that I can remember). I was in Big Lots last year & wearing a black shirt; at that time at least, BL employees wore black shirts.

A very nice looking lady (with her child) asked me where something was. I told her I didn't work there, but directed her in what I thought was the right direction. In any case, no prob....

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 03-13-2015 at 06:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships