Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 01:54 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,847,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I just read this whole thread, and had to go back and re-read your OP.

I might be the weird duck here, but this does seem really weird. Beyond coincidence weird. I kept asking myself, what happened to the men last year?

Was there a female relative propositioning them all, or something?

I just don't believe in coincidences of this magnitude. I think something weird happened to the male members of your party last year.

I think somebody made them mad, or made them uncomfortable.

But, hey, we're all just guessing here. You need to figure out your boundaries and rules for if/when you do this again, regardless.

But, really, what happened last year? Inquiring minds want to know...
Maybe it was the three hours of nonstop hokey-pokey?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 04:26 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,552 times
Its fine to have a party every year, but you have to realize that each year is a new year, with another year gone by. People's situations change, relationships change, nothing stays the same. Just because people came last year doesnt mean they will come this year, and you may well have new people this year.

Treat each year as a totally new situation and you won't be so miffed that this years party isnt like last years party.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:09 AM

1,326 posts, read 1,139,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Some years it was wine! Imagine 10 guys getting hammered on ONE bottle of wine!?
There's your problem... NOT ENOUGH BOOZE... jeez!

Old 01-30-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
What is a Yankee swap? Maybe the husbands are interested in a differant kind of swap.
Hahaha!

I don't know what a yankee swap is either.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:40 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
Hahaha!

I don't know what a yankee swap is either.
I asked a few people and no one knew what it was. A co-worker googled it and found out that it is a white elephant gift exchange. Yea I know I could have googled it but sometimes it is more fun to just let a question ride.

I have never taken part in a White Elephant gift exchange untill this past Christmas and that was a blast. Not sure what the rules are but how it was explained to me was everyone has a number with 1 going first and so on. The 2nd person can choose #1's gift or pick another gift. The last person has their choice of all gifts. If someone chooses a gift that has allready been chosen that gift is now not part of the game, meaning that the first person to unwrap the gift can have it taken from them once and someone else can take it from that person, locking the gift out of the game.

The game was a lot of fun with a good mixture of gifts from both the women and the men. The kids did not play the game. My thought is that maybe having only the women do it that the men were feeling left out. LOL

Old 01-30-2015, 09:37 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,058,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Its fine to have a party every year, but you have to realize that each year is a new year, with another year gone by. People's situations change, relationships change, nothing stays the same. Just because people came last year doesnt mean they will come this year, and you may well have new people this year.

Treat each year as a totally new situation and you won't be so miffed that this years party isnt like last years party.
This, in a nutshell, is what apparently "happened," i.e., nothing really happened, just a year that worked out the way it did. Plus I think it's morphed into more of an open house vibe than in years past so maybe people picked up on that and it dropped their sense of needing to commit.

Anyway all fodder for the mill for next year. cheers.

Oh and apparently I need the number to a local AA meeting. Unreal!

Old 01-30-2015, 09:39 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,058,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal1 View Post
I've never been a drinker but generally, from my experience, .
No offense but people could really stop reading after this little introductory nugget.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
No offense but people could really stop reading after this little introductory nugget.
I lol'd!

Maybe I missed it but what is a yankee swap?

Old 01-30-2015, 09:59 AM

774 posts, read 745,748 times
Quote:
Oh forget it I missed this post. There is booze involved. Sorry to hear that.
Next time if you are going to allow families, I'd make it family friendly. That might help attendance. I'd never have brought our son to a
boozer party. Now I see why there was such a lack of respect for you
Just because you don't drink doesn't mean that an event that has liquor is a "boozer party" and it certainly doesn't give anyone justification for being disrespectful. Honestly. SMH.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:10 AM

774 posts, read 745,748 times
Quote:
But I've certainly just pulled no shows when I find out the extent of the party.
My guess is many here would not label these parties as Boozer parties.
No showing after RSVPing to the affirmative is the eppitome of bad manners. However, after reading all of your posts, I think the hosts should be thankful that you didn't grace them with your presence. It would be hard to live up to your high standards and morals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships