Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 10:33 AM

557 posts, read 606,824 times

Advertisements

I'd wear a Klan outfit. You'd make quite a splash!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 10:33 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times
Waaay too much trouble for a birthday party, IMHO -- I'd be quite sure I had something else important to do that day -- even if it was just washing my hair and watching Netflix. Requesting money for the birthday gift is the worst in bad taste -- that, alone, would be reason enough to skip it. Why encourage bad behavior?

Old 05-31-2015, 10:56 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
You were invited to a "white party". The point of a white party is everybody dresses in all white clothing. Looking for a dispensation is bad form. Could it be that you are self-conscious about being overweight and forced to wear clothing that accentuates it? 300 lbs dressed in all white is going to look pretty bad.

In any case, I think the gift request is absurd, and if any friend of mine put that in an invitation I would so happily NOT GO it would be ridiculous. My decision would have been made in 3.46 seconds and would sound like this: GTFOH.
I look nice in my white shirt so that is not the issue at all. It's not knowing if I have to get the white pants and shoes to go with it.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Waaay too much trouble for a birthday party, IMHO -- I'd be quite sure I had something else important to do that day -- even if it was just washing my hair and watching Netflix. Requesting money for the birthday gift is the worst in bad taste -- that, alone, would be reason enough to skip it. Why encourage bad behavior?
Now that I think about it since he prefers cash I can just put a 20 in a cash card

So the only issue is knowing if I have to wear all white.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:40 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Get better friends. Seriously. The bulk of my friendships are over a decade old (if not 2 decades), and I expect the ones I've made since to last that long as well. And you know why they've lasted? Because my friends aren't pretentious, narcissistic douchebags.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:54 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Now that I think about it since he prefers cash I can just put a 20 in a cash card

So the only issue is knowing if I have to wear all white.
Do you really want this person as a friend? Is he a real friend or a FB friend?

Old 05-31-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Do you really want this person as a friend? Is he a real friend or a FB friend?
He is a real friend but I have not seen in about 10 years because we relocated and he ended up getting married and having kids.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:59 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
He is a real friend but I have not seen in about 10 years because we relocated and he ended up getting married and having kids.
OMG seriously?

Don't worry about it. You're worrying way to much about something that isn't actually relevant to your life.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:01 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Then why would you put yourself through all this worry? Don't go!

ETA, I don't want to sound mean, but I don't think he invited "you" to this party. If literally all of his FB friends are invited, I doubt he'll miss you, and I don't think it will be the end of whatever kind of relationship you have. If you are interested in reconnecting send him a message "I'm sorry I can't make it to your party, but let's meet for lunch sometime!" or something.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:10 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
wow if they really did put prefers a cash gift on the invite that is the epitomy of tacky and then some . I think you should reconsider if this person is really a friend or not ? No I would not go to the trouble of the white outfit at all and just tell them sorry cant make it and if they throw a fit over you not coming , Oh well then they are a friend of low quality moral character and you should cross them off as a friend because I can tell you they are not a friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships