Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 10:21 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
omg. How rude to state anything about gifts.

Is this person throwing himself a party? Rude again.

You aren't obliged to give a gift.

If you can't afford the clothes and would feel out of place with just the white shirt, then decline the invitation. I would.

Or you could be a smartass and wear your white shirt with a pair of white boxers or sweats from Walgreens.

It's not like you'll be the rudest person at the party. Sounds like the guest of honor/host wins that title.

Turned out lots of people didn't show up for the party which he should have just kept to himself instead of posting it on facebook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 06:08 AM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Turned out lots of people didn't show up for the party which he should have just kept to himself instead of posting it on facebook.
So, did you have a good time even though a lot of people didn't show up?

Old 06-21-2015, 08:11 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,836,130 times
I'd have gone in a bed sheet/toga and brought 500 pennies in a plastic grocery bag just to make a point.

I don't mind a person throwing his own party to celebrate a milestone birthday but there should be no expectation of gift or attire. Gads!

Last edited by AK-Cathy; 06-21-2015 at 08:39 AM..

Old 06-21-2015, 08:41 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,339,684 times
Oh this so makes so much more sense now that I remember the OP as the person who posted a few months ago about expecting a Monday or Friday off work on your BD. Why does this not shock me that he also has immature narcissistic friends? At any rate glad to hear not many people showed up, and if he had the nerve to even post that on facebook it shows he is lacking in any self respect imo.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:02 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
I'd have gone in a bed sheet/toga and brought 500 pennies in a plastic grocery bag just to make a point.

I don't mind a person throwing his own party to celebrate a milestone birthday but there should be no expectation of gift or attire. Gads!
With some "wild & crazy" friends I can see having a suggested attire for fun. My group of female friends have had parties where the invitation said "wear your jewels & furs & boas" which was code for dress really crazy.

Everyone came in over sized costume jewelry and feather boas and a few wore old fur collars that they got from Goodwill or Grandma or saved from when they were popular on winter coats in the 1960-1980s. Most of us wore old prom dresses or bridesmaid dresses. If you didn't have something to wear you tried to be extra creative or asked your friends if you could borrow something. I have four or five brightly colored feather boas in my closet, don't you? It was a real hoot!

We have had several parties like that over the years.

Maybe the party host was trying to do something like that? But did not make it clear that it was just a suggestion.

Regarding, presents IMHO, it is never polite to ask for presents. My husband and I used to throw an annual spring party on or near our birthdays. A few times it was called a birthday party (like when we turned 30). A few people brought gag gifts or cards or hostess gifts like a bottle wine. Anything that we received was appreciated but certainly not expected.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:17 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,836,130 times
I get the costume party angle and I enjoy those type of themed parties but the OP didn't phrase his post to sound like this was a "cooperative" type of situation. The request for "cash" pretty much sealed what type of party it was.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
So, did you have a good time even though a lot of people didn't show up?
He was upset that I didn't show up for the party.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:56 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Even though you haven't seen him in 10 years?

Old 06-21-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Even though you haven't seen him in 10 years?
Yeah because we talk everyDay

Old 06-21-2015, 11:29 AM

227 posts, read 195,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Yeah because we talk everyDay
You leave out a lot of important details in your posts. The way you made it sound, you haven't heard heads or tails of this dude for the past 10 years.

Whatever. You made your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships