Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 02:50 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,452,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Maybe. But all my friends are having themed parties.... 80's, black and white...
All my parties have a theme of some kind, but it's usually related to the food being served. I've never told anyone what to wear, but one year around St. Patrick's Day, I did ask everyone to bring green food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I also have never heard of adults requesting presents at a birthday party. ALL of the invitations I get to parties say "Don't bring gifts. Your presence is a gift."
I've done that before too and still had people say "what's up with no gifts?!" I've told them if they really feel they have to get me something to please make a donation to one of my favorite charities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I'm betting most of the guys will show up in a white shirt and khakis. White pants for men aren't exactly easy to come by.
Nor should they be IMO...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I never heard of someone throwing their own birthday party
I have a birthday party for myself every year. Or rather, I have a game night with cake every year the Saturday closest to my birthday. Most of my friends have some sort of gathering to celebrate their birthday, whether it's a simple happy hour or an all out bash.

I have several friends who also have January birthdays, so this year, I hosted a January birthday bash game night for all of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 02:53 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
I hear you, my husband is extremely broad shouldered and has trouble finding shirts that fit him properly. All white clothes party...sounds odd to me. What would happen if you showed up in a white shirt & jeans, or dress pants? Would they kick you out?
Not sure which is why I didn't go. LOL

Old 06-22-2015, 04:37 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,643,263 times
I would just wear the white shirt that you have and some clean blue jeans. If he really is your friend and wants you to be a part of his birthday celebration, he shouldn't mind. As for the gift, I'd give him a nice card and whatever YOU can afford to as a present. I wouldn't let him dictate to me what his present should be.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:50 PM

7,826 posts, read 4,570,108 times
This person is turning 40 and expecting cash gifts? I thought that train stopped at sweet sixteen, first weddings, high-school or college graduations...

As for the dress code, I once held a New Year's party at a high rise downtown condo and thought (since most of my friends are from the 'burbs' and have little reason to dress a bit) that I'd try and class it up a smidge, so on the invitation I added "Bring a date, look sharp" You would not believe the $hitstorm those five words brewed up. After a flood of emails saying "What the %#&! does that mean?" things settled down once wives/girlfriends caught wind of the intent. They persuaded the guys to arrive not looking like farmers, which was all I was really asking for.

One guy showed up in a tux. His wife was glowing... said told us all night "He hasn't been in a tux since we were married" I learned later he got extremely lucky after the party. wink-wink.

As for OP's friend, don't sweat it. Make an effort to look nice and if that ain't good enough, screw 'em.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
This person is turning 40 and expecting cash gifts? I thought that train stopped at sweet sixteen, first weddings, high-school or college graduations...

As for the dress code, I once held a New Year's party at a high rise downtown condo and thought (since most of my friends are from the 'burbs' and have little reason to dress a bit) that I'd try and class it up a smidge, so on the invitation I added "Bring a date, look sharp" You would not believe the $hitstorm those five words brewed up. After a flood of emails saying "What the %#&! does that mean?" things settled down once wives/girlfriends caught wind of the intent. They persuaded the guys to arrive not looking like farmers, which was all I was really asking for.

One guy showed up in a tux. His wife was glowing... said told us all night "He hasn't been in a tux since we were married" I learned later he got extremely lucky after the party. wink-wink.

As for OP's friend, don't sweat it. Make an effort to look nice and if that ain't good enough, screw 'em.
The party was last saturday and I didn't go and he expressed his frustration on facebook about all the no shows from the people who said they were going on Facebook.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
The party was last saturday and I didn't go and he expressed his frustration on facebook about all the no shows from the people who said they were going on Facebook.
Sounds like you made the right call. Thanks for posting!

Old 06-23-2015, 01:56 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,623,477 times
My birthday is Thursday, y'all don't come.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
OK, I won't bring any cash either
(funny post, nice job)

Old 06-23-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Are you going to work on Thursday? lol

Old 06-23-2015, 02:11 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Are you going to work on Thursday? lol
Nope. I'm retired as of today. Had I not done so then, yes, I would have had to go in to a meeting even though school ends tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships