Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2015, 11:41 AM

18,142 posts, read 25,340,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
Black people are often times critcized as being 'ghetto', but if you are black and you speak proper, people make fun of you by calling you an oreo and saying that you want to be white. Most blacks really don't like you and most whites will hang out with you but they will constantly make sarcastic comments about how you are trying to be white.You really can't win. I am not comfortable around either race because of stuff like this.
The key to happiness is to not give a #$%@ about what other people think

Be yourself and let people tell you what they think about you
Best way to weed out friends and not friends

Old 11-23-2015, 04:43 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,610,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
The OP's post was mostly about a white friend telling him he sounds too white. But so many of the responses are worded as if he's talking a bout BLACK people calling him too white. Am I reading it wrong? Weird.

Anyway OP, have you told this guy to knock it off? Let him know and give him a chance to step up to the plate. He might surprise you. I would open my mouth when other people say stuff like that to you as well. Sometimes people don't realize how silly they sound until you tell them.

As far as black people, I've found that kind of thing happens most often not so much when someone speaks proper English, but because they don't "code switch" - i.e. loosen up their language and demeanor when there are no white people around. It also happens if you are black and seem to be into music and culture deemed "white", like pop or rock music. Not to say those arent stupid reasons LOL, but there are black people who are accomplished, educated and speak well who don't have those issues and that's usually why.

In any case there are plenty of people white and black who will have no problem with you just be way you are even if you have to look a little harder for them. But don't give up! Just keep looking until you find the right circle of friends.
Oh, I missed that it was a white friend. But my response applies to either black or white. Doesn't matter.

Since the friend is white, though, I will add that there are some white people who think that black people naturally speak ebonics or something. So when they hear a black person speaking like most Americans, they think it's fake. Those are usu. whites who don't know a lot of blacks...or educated or white collar workers, anyway. That friend's opinion is racist, IMO.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:10 PM

50,410 posts, read 64,161,814 times
I have not read all the posts, but I think that we ALL just need to be our authentic selves. We should not try to conform to what anyone else expects us to be. We are all, black and white, just products of our own upbringing. If the OP is not conforming to what the latest black definition of blackness is, so what?
OP should be himself and do whatever makes him happy.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:43 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,933,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Properly
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Perfect.

Ummm...."Proper" I believe can be used as both an adjective or adverb, thus his title is correct.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:44 PM

35,265 posts, read 17,141,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
"Colour" is very English. "Color" is American.
Which of the two countries has more people that speak English at home as their primary language?

Old 11-23-2015, 06:16 PM

18,142 posts, read 25,340,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Which of the two countries has more people that speak English at home as their primary language?
In the United Kkngdom there's lots of people that are foreigners or speak a regional dialect

Old 11-23-2015, 06:33 PM

35,265 posts, read 17,141,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
In the United Kkngdom there's lots of people that are foreigners or speak a regional dialect
Exactly. It's the U.S. And we dominate the English-speaking world (even if what is spoken in Britain, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Israel isn't exactly English).

Old 11-24-2015, 12:49 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,610,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Exactly. It's the U.S. And we dominate the English-speaking world (even if what is spoken in Britain, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Israel isn't exactly English).
Quote:
Color, as used in the following examples, is the preferred spelling in the U.S.:

The “it” color of the moment is a visual pick-me-up. [Seattle Times]

They are very large and multicolored, often having two or three colors in different shades. [Auburn Citizen]

In some cases, OLED creates better color contrast and uses less power. [Wall Street Journal]

Though color occasionally appears outside the U.S., it is still considered a misspelling. Most non-U.S. publications favor the -our spelling used in these examples:

My daughter has impaired colour vision, mostly affecting the colour red. [Sydney Morning Herald]

Special decor touches of colour, texture and whimsy can bring heart-thumping feelings all year long. [Metro]

Woman returned shelter dog because its colour clashed with her curtains [Mirror]
Color vs. colour - Grammarist

Old 11-24-2015, 05:28 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,210,018 times
Oh the classic "talking white" myth is out again.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:45 AM

2,288 posts, read 1,591,252 times
You are perpetuating the 70s and early 1980s. It is simply not true, especially across the board.

In the white-collar or tech world, most people simply trust you more and know that you were raised to value education and communicate with "all types of people". You don't need to sound Gumbleish or like Earl o'Fari Hutchinson, just speak so everyone can understand you. There is a middle ground form of speech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships