Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2015, 10:10 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaSonner View Post
Yeah, I could have done that, but we know what the OP meant. And most white people don't understand what an adverb is or how to use it, anyway.
Yeah, we all knew what the OP meant, but the people who felt the need to only correct the OP and add nothing to the topic are just so...never mind.

Anyways, OP, been there. I'm too old for that nonsense (26). I put up with it when I was younger, but not anymore. Anyone who would say such things like that (you're a sellout, Uncle Tom, Oreo, ghetto) isn't worthy of your time and friendship/relationship.

It's also interesting how other minorities don't have to deal with this dynamic.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:38 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,630,750 times
I wouldn't change because of friends opinions. I seriously doubt how good of friends they really are. I admire black people who aren't afraid to break the stereotype. You are living in the 21st century. Don't be misled by so called friends opInions. Your friends have their opinions. Use your own judgment.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:43 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,251,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
I'm sorry, but I have to clear the nonsense surrounding this up.

"I'm black but I speak properly, so other blacks dont accept me"
"I'm black but I dont act ghetto, so other blacks dont accept me"
"I'm black but I value my education, so other blacks dont accept me"

I made very good grades in school. I participated in things like the BETA Club, Math Bowl, Academic Bowl, Student Council, etc.

I was never teased. Do you know why? Sorry, but most of the people who claim they get teased for those issues are just socially awkward anyway and THAT'S why they get teased.

I didn't dress like a thug, but I still knew how to put myself together to look decent and acceptable around ANY group of people. I played sports. I talked proper and enunciated my words, but I still have my naturally southern black accent. Nobody knocked me because I wasnt as "hood" or made better grades than them.

It's always other factors in there as to why those people get teased, trust me. They get teased for being "weirdos" like any other racial group of people teases each other about.
I would say "weird" is a sub-category of "different." As in, kids who recently relocated and had no history in that neighborhood, 1st-generation African Americans, biracial kids, etc. They spent their school years in constant conflict because of their differences. When I grew up attending predominantly black public schools, those kids all belonged in the same category as the socially-challenged "weirdos," unjustly.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:27 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,345,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Yeah, we all knew what the OP meant, but the people who felt the need to only correct the OP and add nothing to the topic are just so...never mind.

Anyways, OP, been there. I'm too old for that nonsense (26). I put up with it when I was younger, but not anymore. Anyone who would say such things like that (you're a sellout, Uncle Tom, Oreo, ghetto) isn't worthy of your time and friendship/relationship.

It's also interesting how other minorities don't have to deal with this dynamic.
The name-callers are too stupid to realize that you've got something working in your favor; you can get them places that they haven't ever been.
I'm twice your age, and the places I've been, the people I've met, could blow one's mind!

Old 11-23-2015, 03:29 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I'm black and I was raised in the 'hood, but my parents instilled in me to speak, act, and carry myself as a civilized person! In school, my grades were above average; in my professional life I had mentors, so to speak, who taught me how to put my best foot (or shoe) forward. My closest friends used to say (in their own words) that I talk "high-class", 'cause I knew a lot of "big" words and their definitions. I've been praised by many, denounced by some. But I wouldn't trade my upbringing for anything in the world!
Just be yourself. If people don't accept that, then it's their problem!
Good job to your parents! I firmly believe that children who are raised to speak proper English have far less trouble with English as a subject in school.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:20 AM

35,082 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
I'm sorry, but I have to clear the nonsense surrounding this up.

"I'm black but I speak properly, so other blacks dont accept me"
"I'm black but I dont act ghetto, so other blacks dont accept me"
"I'm black but I value my education, so other blacks dont accept me"

I made very good grades in school. I participated in things like the BETA Club, Math Bowl, Academic Bowl, Student Council, etc.

I was never teased. Do you know why? Sorry, but most of the people who claim they get teased for those issues are just socially awkward anyway and THAT'S why they get teased.

I didn't dress like a thug, but I still knew how to put myself together to look decent and acceptable around ANY group of people. I played sports. I talked proper and enunciated my words, but I still have my naturally southern black accent. Nobody knocked me because I wasnt as "hood" or made better grades than them.

It's always other factors in there as to why those people get teased, trust me. They get teased for being "weirdos" like any other racial group of people teases each other about.
I like your post and may rep it. I'll add another thought though. If people are picked on for "acting white" maybe they need a new group of friends. One which may or may not include blacks. Perhaps this person has outgrown their prior friends.

I had a situation that didn't involve color at all. In grade school I was in fact socially awkward and not very athletic. I was picked on a lot. This lasted through 9th grade. In 10th grade, at my parents' behest I joined the 10th grade soccer team (since I was a bit more athletic by then and wanted to place out of gym), the high school newspaper and the high school band (learning tuba in the process though I was 5'4"). Those activities helped me re-sort my friends, add some and drop many. I realized the need for this after my father's death in January 1973; some of my older friends, while generally not picking on me, were of insufficient maturity and/or intelligence to be any use.

The OP person needs a different circle of friends.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:33 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,547,343 times
Using proper English isn't an issue about the colour of one's skin IMO.

Sadly, our English language is terribly abused by whites, blacks and everything in between. I have heard many white people pronounce and spell words incorrectly. It seems to me that no one cares any more. Anything goes.

I blame the school systems that hire teachers who don't know how to speak, spell and write sentences correctly themselves.

How is a child to learn proper English when the TEACHERS have no clue?

Old 11-23-2015, 05:35 AM

35,082 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Using proper English isn't an issue about the colour of one's skin IMO.

Sadly, our English language is terribly abused by whites, blacks and everything in between. I have heard many white people pronounce and spell words incorrectly. It seems to me that no one cares any more. Anything goes.

I blame the school systems that hire teachers who don't know how to speak, spell and write sentences correctly themselves.

How is a child to learn proper English when the TEACHERS have no clue?
Starting with spelling of the word "colour"?

Old 11-23-2015, 05:36 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Starting with spelling of the word "colour"?

Many European people spell it this way. It's not "wrong", depending on where you're from.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:06 AM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I'm not sure I agree. Our town has highly regarded schools, and a black enrollment of about 10% of the student population. The education offered is an excellent one. But you can still hear "ghetto" slang in the hallways. I think it can sometimes be just a misguided effort to maintain a street culture facade with the peer group.
As I've already mentioned, everyone "code switches." When I was in the military, we all code-switched big-time when we went from the field into headquarters. The question isn't how kids sound in the hallways, but how adults sound in interviews and in the office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships