Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2022, 12:01 PM

1,923 posts, read 883,742 times

Advertisements

golf, now you can get a good nap, when golf on tv
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2022, 05:00 PM

18,266 posts, read 25,967,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I'm not apathetic to sports. Hey, if the Auburn Tigers are on, I'll watch.
I know a good reason to watch the Auburn Tigers play! Two words--Bo Jackson, the best college player to come out of that university.

Doing a search on Jackson will give you a story that affirms my faith that there are pro athletes that give back.

It was reported a couple days ago that Bo Jackson and a close friend of his helped in a big way was the tragedy of the 19 children and the 2 teachers killed in Uvalde, Texas. and actually it sounds like Jackson didn't want to have his name in the paper about it. His only connection to Uvalde was that it was town that Jackson enjoyed stopping at for gasoline, for lunch, or maybe just sit down and have a cup off coffee with the residents of the town which he described as down to earth, friendly folks. The one sentence that keeps my always thinking about the kids and about him---->>>>>>"it's not right that those kids were butchered, it's not right to have the parents of those kids have to bury them. It's just not right!" He didn't have any personal friends that lived there or any other connections with the citizens there, he said "I've got to do something."

Bo knows class. Bo knows causes even before the Uvalde tragedy, he organizes a annual bike ride in his home state of Alabama, organizing disaster relief funds for the people who got killed in tornadoes earlier this year.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 07-24-2022 at 05:28 PM..

Old 07-25-2022, 06:24 AM

9,503 posts, read 11,266,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I’m surprised that you’re surprised that there are people out there who don’t share your interests.
Yes, what a very weird world. Guys are all supposed to be mechanics too, and girls all like frilly petticoat type stuff, and dolls and, and...

Old 07-25-2022, 07:15 AM

18,266 posts, read 25,967,702 times
Regarding post #312---

I guess it would be helpful to state exactly WHAT did Bo Jackson do? I got a dm from a poster who was familiar with the story--Bo Jackson donated $170,000 to the town of Uvalde to help with funeral expenses to the victims families. In the OP's opening post he wondered why do people wear jerseys of professional athletes. I don't myself, but I just might buy a Bo Jackson jersey!

Old 07-25-2022, 09:18 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,740,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hey, baseball, 15 minutes of action packed into three hours.

I do like to watch it. You can go get a snack without a huge chance of missing anything.
That’s basically the reason why I’m not into spectator sports. I have only been to one baseball game and basically just ate a lot of snacks. I don’t remember much happening other than my friend was rooting for the visiting team and we were super outnumbered. Even with football, there isn’t that much happening. I love reading people say that if you only understood it, you would like it. I *get* it but there isn’t enough happening to keep me interested. I have to admit I don’t get hockey whatsoever, but I have also never been to a game and am from FL, so it isn’t like it was a big activity there. We would get offers of really cheap NHL seats in HS, but the games weren’t really super close and I had no way to get there.

I do like outdoor activities, and for some reason I LOVE watching extreme sports documentaries. If there is a doc about someone climbing a high mountain? Sign me up? Kayaking a huge waterfall? That extreme eco race thing on Amazon Prime? Loved it. People running ultra desert marathons? Yep… I have literally done none of these things, but they are fun to watch.

Old 07-25-2022, 11:41 AM

30,701 posts, read 80,082,864 times
I have never been into sports. I just find them boring and tedious.

In basketball, teams go back and forth taking turns scoring until you get the last 15 minutes with each team having around 100 points. Then the game actually starts and one team pulls ahead a bit and wins. Why cant they just give each team 100 points, put 15 minutes on the clock, and play it out? Much less tedious.

Baseball. Really? A three hour game where the score is something like 3 - 0 ? Maybe we can watch competitive gras growing instead. Shorten it to three innings and it might be tolerable.

Hockey. No one knows where the puck is, what's happening or who is winning. They get in a fight. You sit wondering where the puck might be for a while more. Fans throw octopus on the ice, then someone wins. Great way to spend half a day.

Soccer - more like theater. PLayers spend more time rolling around on the ground pretending some really minor injury is debilitating, than they do kicking the ball around. Soccer is pretty interesting, but too many interruptions for dramatics.

Football - somewhat more interesting. Still slow-paced and too long. Call it at half time, watch the band and go home. Get rid of all the ridiculously long breaks. Do we really have to spend an entire day at the stadium?

Golf - the king of poring. Six holes of putt putt is plenty. Playing it tedious, and watching it is excruciating.

Rowing. Sit in a park and every now and again a boat goes by. You haveno idea who is in the boat or who is winning. If you like sitting around in a park near a lake or river, then this is the sport for you.

Tennis. Much like basketball. Back and forth back and forth. It seems endless. Start with 3 points each and three minutes to play. Then it wodl be tolerable.

Car racing. Round and round and round 200 times? really? 200 times? Not much happens and if something does happen, you probably cannot see it. Noisemakes talking impossible, bring a crossword puzzle.

Sailing. A bunch of boats are out on the water. They are all moving. It does not look like anyone on the boats is doing anything. Someone won! ? Who? Why?

Boxing or Karate. This is kind of fun to watch but like the rest way too long. Fifteen minutes is enough.

Old 07-25-2022, 01:14 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,188,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Years ago when I went away to college, the first time a football game came on I was shocked when my roommate told me he wasn't interested in watching. I later discovered he had no interest in joining me to play pickup basketball, volleyball, softball, or even weight lifting.

Until that time I always assumed that every male was interested in sports as I grew up with them being such an integral part of my life. All of my friends were also into sports as well, so I never realized there were men out there that didn't share the same interests.

Ever since then I've been fascinated with men that aren't into sports. What don't they like about them? Do they just dislike competition in general? (something that I love) How do they handle conversations about them in social settings?

Incidentally, I'm just as into sports now as I was then- at least when it comes to playing them. The amount of time I spend these says watching them has been tempered a bit due to a busy schedule.

I would say about half of all men I deal with on the regular have no interest in sports of any kind. As you age and meet people, you learn that it takes all types to make this world what it is.

I find it fascinating that you are fascinated with men that aren't into sports. That is so interesting. All of us have different views. While I enjoy college football and soccer, you couldn't pay me to watch baseball. I also love women's sports and have tickets to WNBA and NWSL games. Would you enjoy women's sports too. Its okay either way. Lots of men do, and lots do not. But again, it takes all types. I tend to just enjoy what I enjoy and not worry about people who do not like what I like.

Old 07-25-2022, 02:58 PM

1,923 posts, read 883,742 times
hockey, live hockey, people go to a fight, maybe a hockey game will break out

Old 07-25-2022, 03:18 PM
bu2

24,155 posts, read 15,010,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
I would say about half of all men I deal with on the regular have no interest in sports of any kind. As you age and meet people, you learn that it takes all types to make this world what it is.

I find it fascinating that you are fascinated with men that aren't into sports. That is so interesting. All of us have different views. While I enjoy college football and soccer, you couldn't pay me to watch baseball. I also love women's sports and have tickets to WNBA and NWSL games. Would you enjoy women's sports too. Its okay either way. Lots of men do, and lots do not. But again, it takes all types. I tend to just enjoy what I enjoy and not worry about people who do not like what I like.
I can't think of any American male I know who isn't interested in some sports except for really nerdy computer types and gay guys. Now there are a lot more of the computer types in the younger generation. So I presume that is why the OP was fascinated. He rarely runs across such people.

In business, you almost need to know about the local teams to be in conversations. Maybe there are certain fields where that isn't the case.

Old 07-26-2022, 12:30 PM

402 posts, read 277,991 times
Aren't computer guys also into sports these days? Here in Bulgaria they are all ripped now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships