Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 08:28 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
One thing that does make it hurt is the constant bombardment from TV that this is the way life is suppose to be.

When the show is about people being single, I am all into it. When the show changes to them getting married and having a family, however, my interest wanes.

It may be not have been a major reason why I gave up on TV...but it is probably down there somewhere.
I never really thought about a connection with what we watch. I am the opposite. I have zero interest in singles shows. I want the sappy romance stories or a love connection. If none exist, I won't watch it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 08:53 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
As I come closer to hitting my thirties, I'm seeing my friends have the weddings, the baby showers, sending their kids to school for the first time, celebrating their parents 25th and up anniversaries. I'm seeing the joy in their eyes and more and more because of the life choices I've made, I get a little saddened when I realized these things will not be a part of my life. What I mean:

- I've decided that I'm not interested in marriage.
- I've LONG decided that I do not want any children.
- I've probably reached the height of my education career with completing a hard program.
- One parent is dead and one is done with looking for love (probably for the best.)

So anyone who has decided on a childfree or anti-marriage life, how do you deal with the fact you won't hit some of life's biggest checkpoints?

If you don't want those things then why would you be sad? That makes no sense! If you truly didn't want those things then it wouldn't bother you! Might want to re-evaluate!

Old 05-11-2017, 08:55 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This is true, but sometimes there ARE people who do have everything, and they ARE happy. It is not good to envy--someone on here once said, "Comparison is the thief of joy".

I just find it easier to detach myself from being around people who got all the goodies I wanted and was not able to have. I don't begrudge them their goodies, but I really have nothing in common with them.
That is what I have been doing. Their happiness gets nauseating after a while while I struggle to just get dates. If you can put up with that, you are a better person than I am.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:15 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
So, do you think your insistence on not wanting certain things could be a defense mechanism against not being able to have them?

Marriage and children are certainly not for everyone. But just make sure you aren't being a prisoner to your choices.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:36 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,107,437 times
In my case, definitely not. If I wanted those things I would change my mindset and try harder to achieve them. As is, I see no value in them and don't even consider the possibility.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:41 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,308,431 times
I have always seen people talk about "relationship goals" a lot. No couple will be my relationship goals because you never know what's going on behind closed doors.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:50 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
So, do you think your insistence on not wanting certain things could be a defense mechanism against not being able to have them?

Marriage and children are certainly not for everyone. But just make sure you aren't being a prisoner to your choices.
I kind of resent the fact the marriage decision is kind of made for me since I can't get a date anyway. I would still pass anyway but having it made for me with my lack of dating luck sucks.

The children are a DEFINITE hell no.

Old 05-11-2017, 04:34 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Well I almost got married but she died.. Not sure if it'll happen again because I am not open to dating at all. It wouldn't bother me if it didn't happen..
That you George?

Old 05-11-2017, 04:47 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
Speaking as a woman, I wouldn't mind getting married, but I made the choice a long time ago to not have kids. Do I feel like I've missed out on the happiness others have had. Heck no, not even close. I just always wished I had more money to do the things I wanted to do. So many women have looked down their noses at me because I was so much poorer than they were, simply because they had gotten married and I didn't. Even my mom thinks I could have done better with my life and by that, she means I could have gotten married and be on husbandfare the rest of my life like she was. Sorry, not even.

I grew up with the traditional family in a traditional neighborhood and believe me, it's not all peaches and cream. I think being wrapped up in all those traditions and "milestones" and being a SAHM would have strangled me. I wish my life had been better, but I'm pretty sure if I had turned my life in THAT direction, that would definitely NOT have been an improvement.

I'll take the misery of my current life over any life I might have had as a mother and housewife, I don't care how happy those people tell me they are.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:27 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
I had my first child at 41 years old - its never too late
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships