Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 10:19 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony321 View Post
People don't like it its their personal problem. You don't sound mean at all. I'm blunt too its a learned behavior for me to defend against bullies. Best of luck and keep your chin up.
Yeah but with someone you hardly know... You can come as an ass. Don't be that person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 01:37 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,684,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida
Not quite sure what to say. If it really bothered you, you would have changed long ago. People will usually only call you "sassy" and "deadpan" if you're funny. You don't mention being funny, so my guess is that you really do come off as mean. It would have been easier to try to answer if you had been clearer. I mean, if you try to be smiling and accommodating, and mostly keep quiet, in what way do people perceive you as mean?

But "mean" has nothing to do with being "smaller." Since you're lucky that sometimes people tell you to your face, you've had opportunities to ask, "Why do you say that? What part do you think is mean?" In other words, you could have tried for self-analysis, but apparently didn't. If so many people are saying it - and it's not something that most people say lightly - it's may be true, whether you "know" it or not.

But it's possible that you just have the bad luck to be among very bland people, and you have strong opinions, so that you seem abrasive. Another possibility is that you don't express yourself well, so that you phrase something tactlessly. It's the difference between saying, "Wow, Mary is FAT" versus "I'm sorry to see that it looks as if Mary is gaining weight." Maybe you need to start by finding some new people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
I forgot to mention that yes, people have also called me funny. People have actually called me a lot of things: genuine, funny, down to earth, sassy, selfish, mean, hilarious, sexy, b*tch, smart, genius, dumb, crazy, cute, silly, ridiculous, retarded, ahole, weird, difficult, a pill... I forgot to include everything else people have called me and as you can see, it's a range of things. So maybe there might have been some negative things people have called me, but I have also been called pleasant things many times as well. I must have been thrown off with the word "mean" because it's something my family called me so maybe that resonates louder than any of the other adjectives. I have never been called boring though so I think that stands for something.

As for the guy, when he asked me to help him do his laundry I said "I'm not your mother". Maybe it came off as harsh but I don't want any guy to think I'm going to clean up after him.

But I see you didn't respond to anything else in my reply.

Perhaps it's your tone. One can say "I'm not your mother" in a tone of impatience and annoyance. Or one can say it with a smile and a teasing poke in the ribs.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:08 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,655 times
Quote:
I forgot to mention that yes, people have also called me funny. People have actually called me a lot of things: genuine, funny, down to earth, sassy, selfish, mean, hilarious, sexy, b*tch, smart, genius, dumb, crazy, cute, silly, ridiculous, retarded, ahole, weird, difficult, a pill... I forgot to include everything else people have called me and as you can see, it's a range of things.
You sure know a lot of judgmental people in your life. I know plenty of rude people in my life, and it's just the way they are, and I've never said any of those negative words to their face. No one likes to be judged badly.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:42 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,777,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
You sure know a lot of judgmental people in your life. I know plenty of rude people in my life, and it's just the way they are, and I've never said any of those negative words to their face. No one likes to be judged badly.
Actually, I do. My dad and a couple of my ex-childhood friends are incredibly judgmental. Can't get rid of my dad but glad I'm not friends with those people anymore. Just ran into a quote from Prince. Something like whatever people say about you is a reflection of them. If Prince says it then it must be true.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:20 PM

522 posts, read 716,124 times
Huh I'm in therapy maybe I should bring my bluntness up!

Old 08-18-2017, 11:33 PM

146 posts, read 78,195 times
Quote:
I forgot to mention that yes, people have also called me funny. People have actually called me a lot of things: genuine, funny, down to earth, sassy, selfish, mean, hilarious, sexy, b*tch, smart, genius, dumb, crazy, cute, silly, ridiculous, retarded, ahole, weird, difficult, a pill... I forgot to include everything else people have called me and as you can see, it's a range of things. So maybe there might have been some negative things people have called me, but I have also been called pleasant things many times as well. I must have been thrown off with the word "mean" because it's something my family called me so maybe that resonates louder than any of the other adjectives. I have never been called boring though so I think that stands for something.

As for the guy, when he asked me to help him do his laundry I said "I'm not your mother". Maybe it came off as harsh but I don't want any guy to think I'm going to clean up after him.
Its about having tact when speaking to people. And especially when you don't know them or aren't on a real 'cool, buddy' level. Even if you can't help yourself and feel it is necessary to tell them something try to take them aside privately( that can be done over the phone or electronically like email, a DM on social media or just in a private corner or room) and tell them, let's say as an example, that they smell bad or something.

Part of the dislike to you could also be if you say the statement's publicly. If it's said around others that person will feel you were being mean to them on purpose.

I can be really frank at times too but my tone, volume and maybe even timing does wonders with people.
The things you can get away with when you say a frank comment nicely. Lol. It's true

Old 08-18-2017, 11:51 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,760,101 times
My daughter said I was rude to a salesperson tonight simply because I refused to give her my email address when checking out! I just said, "I'd rather not" and she kept on pressing and I just kept repeating "I'd rather not." I don't consider that rude, do you guys?

Old 08-19-2017, 12:16 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,051,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
My daughter said I was rude to a salesperson tonight simply because I refused to give her my email address when checking out! I just said, "I'd rather not" and she kept on pressing and I just kept repeating "I'd rather not." I don't consider that rude, do you guys?
Not rude at all. But it goes to show how millennials (assuming she is one) "think" as compared to their parents. My kids have told me I'm rude in similar situations. I once told the cashier at a local fast food joint could I have some "fresher fries" and my daughter said "dad, that was rude". I was like "huh?!"

Old 08-19-2017, 05:10 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,777,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Not rude at all. But it goes to show how millennials (assuming she is one) "think" as compared to their parents. My kids have told me I'm rude in similar situations. I once told the cashier at a local fast food joint could I have some "fresher fries" and my daughter said "dad, that was rude". I was like "huh?!"
Imagine having the rest of your peers like that, making you feel like if you don't like something and speak up it's "rude". Smh

Old 08-19-2017, 07:47 AM

50,825 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I think it probably depends on the tone you used. I hate that stuff too, but the cashier doesn't have a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships