Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 11:06 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,403,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Right, then take the complaint to someone who can actually do something about it. If you just respond by making a snide remark to an $8.00 an hour cashier who is going to get fired if they hear her do a sale without following their procedure is pretty weak though.

Again, the WORDS are fine, but tone is very important here. You can say "I LOVE that hair style" to someone as a compliment but you can also say the exact same words to make them an insult depending on the tone you use and your expressions.

OP's daughter was there and made remark based on tone and inflection not just words. We do not have the luxury but IMO OPs question cannot be answered accurately without it.

Never any snide remarks. It's simply none of their business, and it was the clerk who was so rude as to insist. I've never run into such a pushy clerk who refused to take a simple 'no' for an answer. But if I did, I'd leave my unpaid merchandise on the counter, walk out, and never again patronize that store.

And I usually have an excellent, chatty relationship with checkout clerks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 11:08 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,758,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post

I do too! Sometimes that embarrasses DD also. LOL

But I'm tired of this intrusion into my private life by companies who want to track everything I spend my money on. Not to mention I don't want any more spam than I already get.[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 08-19-2017, 12:05 PM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
It not necessarily what you say but how you say it.

I try not to be too abrupt with dealing with employees who are told to push something on customers.

I've got to go to the BOA to put a fairly large deposit into a CD and I know I'm going to have to listen to the bank rep. try and sell me on other options despite the fact I just want a CD.

I'll be polite but no thanks.

The vast majority of service industry jobs are horrible. Low pay and management is often watching you like a hawk.
Years ago I was a part-time Domino's driver. I hate hats, they squish my hair and make it flat, so after I was well out of sight of the store, I'd take my hat off. After a week or 2, I got a phone call at the store from a regional manager admonishing me to keep my hat on. I don't know if it was one of the rumored "test families" that got a free pizza in exchange for a report on how the transaction went or what, but they knew I wasn't wearing it up to people's doors.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Never any snide remarks. It's simply none of their business, and it was the clerk who was so rude as to insist. I've never run into such a pushy clerk who refused to take a simple 'no' for an answer. But if I did, I'd leave my unpaid merchandise on the counter, walk out, and never again patronize that store.

Because she is the one who will get in trouble. Maybe the computer program requires it to continue, who knows. What I do know is SHE personally couldn't care less about your e-mail. Why are you behaving as if she were insisting simply because she wanted to? Who wants to argue with a customer??

Again, it is easy to be snide with a low wage clerk who has zilch to do with any policy, it takes more effort to write a letter to corporate (who DO set the policies and insist this girl keep asking), tell the company on FB you will never shop there as long as they require their workers to ask intrusive questions...but to take it out on the clerk is a little like kicking a kitten, she is not able to do anything about it.

So, what were the points your daughter made when offering you her opinion on the exchange? Again, she is the only one who was there, and she was who came away with that impression. Why did SHE think your responses were rude?

Old 08-19-2017, 01:26 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,351,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
His being a complainer doesn't erase the fact that you CAN help yourself, you just chose not to.

Why yes, yes I did.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:41 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,403,906 times
Quote:
Because she is the one who will get in trouble. Maybe the computer program requires it to continue, who knows. What I do know is SHE personally couldn't care less about your e-mail. Why are you behaving as if she were insisting simply because she wanted to? Who wants to argue with a customer??

Again, it is easy to be snide with a low wage clerk who has zilch to do with any policy, it takes more effort to write a letter to corporate (who DO set the policies and insist this girl keep asking), tell the company on FB you will never shop there as long as they require their workers to ask intrusive questions...but to take it out on the clerk is a little like kicking a kitten, she is not able to do anything about it.

So, what were the points your daughter made when offering you her opinion on the exchange? Again, she is the only one who was there, and she was who came away with that impression. Why did SHE think your responses were rude?

Please try to understand. There is NOTHING snide about any of this.

I refuse to give my real email or phone number, I also refuse to gin up a phony number, and I cannot waste my time with stores that mine for information. I've never encountered a rudely insistent clerk, but if I did, I would simply walk out.

Old 08-19-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Please try to understand. There is NOTHING snide about any of this.

I refuse to give my real email or phone number, I also refuse to gin up a phony number, and I cannot waste my time with stores that mine for information. I've never encountered a rudely insistent clerk, but if I did, I would simply walk out.
Obviously daughter did think there was something snide though, in fact it was she who used the word "rude". I just would like to know what her perception was and why, since she was the only one who heard the tone/saw non-verbal cues and all those factors that go into giving words meaning.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:36 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,734,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Motor View Post
Make one up, and start it, just for the duds that "need your email"; and then never look at it. That is an option, or give them a dead one, something that you have abandoned. It is just a thought.
I know that it does not address the rudeness of the clerk; but that is something that is rampant in America, rudeness I mean.
Either actually set it up or just say you don't have one. Don't give an inactive or fake one. When I worked retail, we had cashiers get written up for collecting too many 'fake' email addresses.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Maybe the computer program requires it to continue, who knows.
It does not and did not, she checked us out just fine after she finally saw I wasn't giving it up. Most clerks in most places just shrug and say,"naw, you don't have to" and go on.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Obviously daughter did think there was something snide though, in fact it was she who used the word "rude". I just would like to know what her perception was and why, since she was the only one who heard the tone/saw non-verbal cues and all those factors that go into giving words meaning.
Because my daughter is very sensitive, doesn't like standing up for herself, and is still very immature, like a teenager...easily embarrassed.

She was, however, chiming in with me when I was saying we didn't keep up with "points".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships