Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2018, 09:40 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kophi View Post
Some who can't do math in a rushed environment might struggle with
something called dyscalculia. It is to numbers what dyslexia is to
letters.]
Sure, let's make up a disorder to pretend someone isn't a complete moron who can't subtract 14 from 49. That's some co-incidence that all these people with dyscalculia found work as cashiers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 09:46 PM

16,079 posts, read 21,163,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Sure, let's make up a disorder to pretend someone isn't a complete moron who can't subtract 14 from 49. That's some co-incidence that all these people with dyscalculia found work as cashiers
LOL, I'll be sure to tell my daughter she's a moron, in spite of grades, standardized testing, an an IQ that say otherwise. Bet you think dyslexia is fake too?

Old 01-10-2018, 06:24 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Are those things still around? I haven't seen one in decades.

Yep, they are but we don't see very many of them either.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:33 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Not cool.

I have this "made-up disorder." It's an actual thing. Stop being a jerk.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:12 AM

9,870 posts, read 7,743,798 times
Quote:
You know, why use cash registers at all? Let's all do math.

Customers should be able to do the math in their head too. Walk up to the register, lay your items down and hand the cashier what you owe. In exact change, since the cashiers are all morons.

And don't forget the tax. It's simple multiplication from 3rd grade.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:28 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,360,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglegirl05 View Post
Today I had a customer whose Discover Card would not authorize payment for her groceries.

She tried to use that card twice, but it just would not authorize payment for her groceries.

The were a couple of customers waiting in line behind her.

But she chose to text her husband to find out if he had called the number on the back of their Discover Card.

She also wanted to wait for a response from her husband as to what his answer was as well as what Discover Card's answer was.

I ended up asking her if she had another card she could pay with.

She finally paid with another card.
Wait, was I standing behind her? Could you ask folks like her to step aside while they sort out their credit card issues, so that you ring could up the next customer?

Addressing the issue of customers giving cashiers additional change after the amount has been entered, in order to receive specific change back, and while the till is still open:

I've found that it is easier to do addition than subtraction when under pressure. In which case, I would just add whatever amount the customer gave me to the total change due that is shown on the register. So if the customer says, "Wait! Can I give you $0.04?" when he/she is due $0.01, I would just add 4+1=5 and hand over a nickel. Or something similar.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:56 AM

11,138 posts, read 9,769,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I had the same thought. Something out of the ordinary was being requested and any good cashier should have been cautious.

I was scammed out of $20 when I was a cashier working while in high school. A very skilled fast talker wanted change and kept switching what he wanted as I pulled different bills out for combinations he was giving me. After that, I learned to never leave the drawer open for more than one request. I shut it after each transaction. To my delight I had someone try that on me again and they got very upset that I wouldn’t leave the drawer open for the swindle to work. Fool me once.....
We were taught all the little "quick change scams" at one place where I worked. We also learned about the till tappers. I was so happy to catch a till tapper when I "accidentally" slammed my drawer on her fingers!

Old 01-10-2018, 07:58 AM

1,347 posts, read 946,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
Wait, was I standing behind her? Could you ask folks like her to step aside while they sort out their credit card issues, so that you ring could up the next customer?
Depends on whether the cashier can sideline the current transaction and start a new one before Discover card lady's is closed out. Otherwise he/she would have to void the entire transaction and then re-do it once the next customer is finished and credit card issue is sorted out.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:09 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,771,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post

Addressing the issue of customers giving cashiers additional change after the amount has been entered, in order to receive specific change back, and while the till is still open:

I've found that it is easier to do addition than subtraction when under pressure. In which case, I would just add whatever amount the customer gave me to the total change due that is shown on the register. So if the customer says, "Wait! Can I give you $0.04?" when he/she is due $0.01, I would just add 4+1=5 and hand over a nickel. Or something similar.
I would have to have the Front End Assistant Manager over-ride the transaction so it could be suspended, but he was working at a register at that time.

The cashiers cannot do this on their own.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:13 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,771,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
Depends on whether the cashier can sideline the current transaction and start a new one before Discover card lady's is closed out. Otherwise he/she would have to void the entire transaction and then re-do it once the next customer is finished and credit card issue is sorted out.
This is true.

The cashier cannot do that on their own.

The Assistant Front End Manager or another manager has to do that.

And voiding out the transaction would upset the customer, which my employer does not want to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships