Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 11:47 AM

741 posts, read 590,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You could really mess with this person and have some fun if they ask what the unexpected expenses were. First response that comes to mind? "Who knew that having all traces of blood removed from the carpets and walls would be so expensive?"
I love it! I’m gonna use that! Humorous responses are the best. Even my dense aunt (whom I love dearly, but geesh!) would get it after a few of those comebacks. I like the suggestion from another thread, “I could tell you, but then I’d have to kill you.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 11:52 AM

741 posts, read 590,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You simply say "Why do you ask?", it shuts them right up for the most part. It's a great response for any question asked that you don't feel they need an answer to.
She would be insensitive enough to come back with, “Because you’re the one who’s poor-mouthing it! I just wanna know what happened to get you into this pickle!” She’s an in-your-face kind of person who thinks stuff like this makes her sound witty. It may work for her business dealings, but it puts people off in interpersonal relationships.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:03 PM

6,310 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairMindedLL View Post
Hubby and I have had some large unexpected expenses come up and are revamping our budget very carefully. We have friends and family who sometimes suggest going out to eat or to expensive events that just aren’t in our budget right now. What are some good phrases to use to say “that’s too expensive” without revealing our financial challenges or sounding like we’re constantly poor-mouthing everything?

Ive usually said it’s not within my budget at the moment and then suggest an alternative .

Old 08-24-2018, 12:30 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,245,422 times
You just say "I'm sorry, that's not in our budget right now." Then suggest a place or activity that is within your budget.

Why worry about what they think? Let them think what they want. You don't need anyone's permission or approval to do what you feel is best for your family. If they don't want to associate with you because of this insignificant issue, that is just them showing you who they are.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:36 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
Quote:
She would be insensitive enough to come back with, “Because you’re the one who’s poor-mouthing it! I just wanna know what happened to get you into this pickle!” She’s an in-your-face kind of person who thinks stuff like this makes her sound witty. It may work for her business dealings, but it puts people off in interpersonal relationships.
If someone's gonna reply like that, I would tell them straightly "I'm not poor mouthing anything, just explaining that we're trying to stick to a budget. The details of why aren't your business"

If she's gonna be in-your-face, I would be right back.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:39 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,245,422 times
Quote:
I love it! I’m gonna use that! Humorous responses are the best. Even my dense aunt (whom I love dearly, but geesh!) would get it after a few of those comebacks. I like the suggestion from another thread, “I could tell you, but then I’d have to kill you.”

There's always that old standby "Well, bless your heart." Then just refuse to discuss it any more.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:42 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,047,026 times
It's just not in the budget this month!

Old 08-24-2018, 01:48 PM

7,049 posts, read 6,305,249 times
Quote:
I've actually had a person who was nosy like that and if they are that blatant, so am I.

I responded with, when you're paying my bills & buying my groceries you may have the right to ask. Until then, but out. My business is not yours.

Harsh, I know, but there is one that just wouldn't quit and I had to let her know my private, personal life is none of her concern.

Old 08-24-2018, 01:52 PM

1,347 posts, read 946,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You simply say "Why do you ask?", it shuts them right up for the most part. It's a great response for any question asked that you don't feel they need an answer to.
IME this is usually a 2-step process, because oblivious/obnoxious types (like the OP's relative) always have an answer for this. "Just curious", "Well what are you hiding?" etc. So generally the second response needs to be very short (1-2 words) and subject changed quickly. Don't be afraid of silence.

I've often used "not in the budget" when asked to buy or spend money on things and that usually suffices. In the case of someone following up (like the relative), don't give her any justifications/explanations - that's like throwing meat to a hungry dog. Stick with the "I have a budget" and unless you think you can really shut her down quickly with a harsh comeback, stay mum on anything else. My 2 cents.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:07 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
Quote:
Well than you get in her face, unfortunately with people like this there is no other way.

You see "why do you ask?" works with most people, for those who don't stop, you take it up a notch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships