Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 11:11 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,317,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairMindedLL View Post
...We have friends and family who sometimes suggest going out to eat or to expensive events that just aren’t in our budget right now. What are some good phrases to use to say “that’s too expensive”...
BTDT. Offer an alternative. Something like this:

"We'd enjoy eating out together but as value investors we like better returns with our entertainment dollars. How about we dine at XYZ instead?" Or, "We'd love to see you but we're more comfortable at home. How about stopping by for barbecued burgers and dogs?"

Rarely has this approach resulted in a problem. If it does, we're probably not socially compatible anyway!

The twist in our case it that we have the money. And the reason we have the money is due to a lifetime of thrift. We've chosen not to spend it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 11:14 AM

12,047 posts, read 8,436,379 times
"Sorry, it's not in our budget this month."

Old 08-25-2018, 12:33 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
"That's not in our budget right now, but how 'bout getting together next Saturday afternoon and BBQing together?"

Or whatever - something like that. If they push for more detail, they're out of line. Just reiterate, "We've revamped our budget lately and that doesn't fit into it - but let's get together and do (fill in the blank)!"

Old 08-25-2018, 01:05 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,392,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairMindedLL View Post
Hubby and I have had some large unexpected expenses come up and are revamping our budget very carefully. We have friends and family who sometimes suggest going out to eat or to expensive events that just aren’t in our budget right now. What are some good phrases to use to say “that’s too expensive” without revealing our financial challenges or sounding like we’re constantly poor-mouthing everything?
I feel sorry for you that your friends, let alone your family. would think less of you if you told them the truth.

I am pretty sure your people have had to tighten their budgets some time or other too.

"Thanks for inviting us but we aren't able to go this time. Maybe next time".

Make sure you include entertainment in your new budget. You have to take care of your emotional self too.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:01 PM

741 posts, read 590,937 times
Thank you all for the fantastic ways to deal with this issue. The aunt is the one who usually suggests the dining out activities. She hates cooking, hates eating in her cramped beach apartment with no air conditioning, hates driving the 1-1/2 hours to our place, and has the money to dine out. But it’s easy for her to eat out when she’s only paying for herself. There’s 4 of us—a much more expensive proposition. And we usually feel obligated to pick up her meal too, so now we’re paying for 5 meals. That’s $125...for breakfast. No thanks. Our kids were staying the weekend at her house, so she suggested we all get together for breakfast the morning we were supposed to pick them up. I told her we were going to pass as we wanted to sleep in, go to mass, and enjoy our time without the kids. All true.

That said, I think all of you are right—there’s no shame in saying that $125 breakfast (or lunch or dinner) isn’t in the budget. On the contrary, its actually ridiculous for her or anyone else to think that’s a reasonable (or fiscally responsible) expense.

Thanks everyone for keeping it real.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:18 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times
In this particular case, and not necessarily any other case, I'd say "only if you are paying, aunt cheapo. We paid the last five times."

I've got to say, she's got all your kids for the weekend and I don't think it is out of line for you to take her out for breakfast, as a sort of thank you. However, you could reply that you'd love to brunch with her and that you will bring some nice breakfast pastries, some orange juice for the kids, and a half pound of some specialty coffee

She's at the beach. Is there no picnic area to eat your pastries and enjoy the view?

Old 08-25-2018, 02:23 PM

328 posts, read 573,613 times
Unless you plan to pay my bills, I owe you no explanation about how I got those bills. I would tell her "are you volunteering to pay my bills?... No... then MYOB!" (mind your own business!)

Old 08-25-2018, 02:32 PM

17,774 posts, read 9,221,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLuce View Post
Unless you plan to pay my bills, I owe you no explanation about how I got those bills. I would tell her "are you volunteering to pay my bills?... No... then MYOB!" (mind your own business!)
I have a feeling you don't speak to people like that.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:40 PM

50,385 posts, read 64,034,538 times
You’ve had a lot of good suggestions. I might add something like, “We’re revamping our budget and, for now, dining out and concerts are where we have chosen to cut back.”

Old 08-25-2018, 03:28 PM

579 posts, read 368,569 times
"I can't afford it"

the end
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships