Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 02:14 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairMindedLL View Post
She would be insensitive enough to come back with, “Because you’re the one who’s poor-mouthing it! I just wanna know what happened to get you into this pickle!” She’s an in-your-face kind of person who thinks stuff like this makes her sound witty. It may work for her business dealings, but it puts people off in interpersonal relationships.
Body language adds emphasis. I've found that turning to face the nosey-parker straight on, even stepping closer to them, giving a level focused stare for a few moments (so others in the conversation notice the pause) followed by "That is simply not your business!". Then turn your back on them and start talking to someone else. You physically shut them down as well as verbally. Yes, it's aggressive, but so were they.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 02:17 PM

813 posts, read 601,416 times
Why not just "Oh Hell no! I'm broke!" That always works for me.

Good luck, Rg

Old 08-24-2018, 02:37 PM

741 posts, read 590,846 times
All of these are great solutions. Thank you everyone. I just have to mentally practice them so I have a ready arsenal of comebacks if someone pushes for an explanation.

Old 08-24-2018, 03:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times
Quote:
She would be insensitive enough to come back with, “Because you’re the one who’s poor-mouthing it! I just wanna know what happened to get you into this pickle!” She’s an in-your-face kind of person who thinks stuff like this makes her sound witty. It may work for her business dealings, but it puts people off in interpersonal relationships.
After she questions you about your response, “Why do you want to know?” you then come back with “If I told you I’d have to kill you.”

I think asking why a curious person needs to know is a valid question that often brings people up short. After all, there is no valid reason for these inquisitors to know the thngs they are so curious about. Asking that, simply points that out.

Good luck dealing with nosy auntie.

Old 08-24-2018, 03:09 PM

4,414 posts, read 3,476,032 times
“Dave (or whatever hubby’s name is) just found out his side piece is pregnant and we have to save our money for child support.”

Old 08-24-2018, 03:16 PM

741 posts, read 590,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
“Dave (or whatever hubby’s name is) just found out his side piece is pregnant and we have to save our money for child support.”
O.M.G. I love it! That’s perfect! I want more of these!

Old 08-24-2018, 03:20 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,958,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't think there's any shame at all, in the era of Dave Ramsey, to say you're trying to reduce discretionary spending right now and put yourself ahead financially.

And then suggest something you'd like to do together -
Perfect response.

Old 08-24-2018, 03:34 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,550,542 times
Quote:
You're being blackmailed.
You hired a hitman on a payment plan.
You gambled it all away.
Prices of goods and hookers' services have gone up.

In all seriousness, I like the idea of saying that it's not in the budget, specifically as worded by Mrs. Tarabotti.
Quote:
'That's not in the budget right now but thanks for asking/ thinking of us'.

To nosy family member- 'Why are you asking such a personal question? Do you really need to know that?
It's really none of your business.'

Old 08-24-2018, 03:35 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
Quote:

"I'm being sued by the last person who asked about my personal business. I guess I shouldn't have run her down with my car."

Old 08-24-2018, 04:01 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
Why not just "Oh Hell no! I'm broke!" That always works for me.

Good luck, Rg
This has always worked well for me.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships