Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 04:36 PM

741 posts, read 590,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
In this particular case, and not necessarily any other case, I'd say "only if you are paying, aunt cheapo. We paid the last five times."

I've got to say, she's got all your kids for the weekend and I don't think it is out of line for you to take her out for breakfast, as a sort of thank you. However, you could reply that you'd love to brunch with her and that you will bring some nice breakfast pastries, some orange juice for the kids, and a half pound of some specialty coffee

She's at the beach. Is there no picnic area to eat your pastries and enjoy the view?
My aunt asked to have the kids for the weekend because she hadn’t seen them in awhile. We had already taken her and my sister out to brunch 2 weeks earlier for their birthdays. She lives in a tiny apartment 3 blocks away from the beach. It’s an odd little interior duplex, very close to other similar duplexes, but with no balcony or patio because of the way it’s situated in an alley. Eating outside isn’t an option unless we walk everything over to the small park 5 blocks away, where there’s no available parking on an average day because it’s taken up by residents and beach goers. This is one of the reasons she prefers to dine out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 06:47 PM

765 posts, read 473,978 times
I always say to people who want me to this or that, "well, that's not compatible with my plans right now" and if they get pushy about it, I smile gently, rise and leave the room..... and perhaps do not return to that place, or that situation or those people for quite awhile. I am under no obligation to explain myself and what i see as best for me, to other people.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:24 PM

9,460 posts, read 5,225,471 times
"I'm saving up for that Victoria's Secret diamond brassiere...I sure hope they put some sapphires in it this year!"

Old 08-25-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamjedlicka View Post
"I'm saving up for that Victoria's Secret diamond brassiere...I sure hope they put some sapphires in it this year!"
I love it!

Old 08-25-2018, 09:58 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
I say "I can't afford it" in a mature way. I'm an adult and I'm not going to pout because my friends choose an activity that's costs more than I can spend.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:27 PM

579 posts, read 368,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairMindedLL View Post
My aunt asked to have the kids for the weekend because she hadn’t seen them in awhile. We had already taken her and my sister out to brunch 2 weeks earlier for their birthdays. She lives in a tiny apartment 3 blocks away from the beach. It’s an odd little interior duplex, very close to other similar duplexes, but with no balcony or patio because of the way it’s situated in an alley. Eating outside isn’t an option unless we walk everything over to the small park 5 blocks away, where there’s no available parking on an average day because it’s taken up by residents and beach goers. This is one of the reasons she prefers to dine out.

Understandable. That means she gets to pay. Otherwise, walk 5 blocks to the park.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:30 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
"Already had plans, sorry."

If they don't get the message then it's time to cut them out of your life.

Old 08-26-2018, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I say "I can't afford it" in a mature way. I'm an adult and I'm not going to pout because my friends choose an activity that's costs more than I can spend.
Interesting interpretation. I don’t recall saying anything that inferred “pouting.”

Old 08-26-2018, 07:21 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairMindedLL View Post
Thank you all. These are great suggestions! Offering to have them over for a meal is a good idea.

Yes, I have one family member in particular who asks pointed personal questions. It seems everybody has one of those in their family, don’t they? I don’t want to unintentionally invite those questions if I can head them off at the pass with a few good neutral responses. Although I have no problem with ultimately saying some version of “that’s none of your business,” I’d rather start with something less antagonist. Most people in my world accept the first answer and don’t push. It’s just this one family member that I’ve repeatedly had to establish very firm boundaries with over the years.

My favorite one to shoot down personal questions (thank you Dear Abby) that are none of their business is this: "Now why would you ask such a personal question".

Old 08-26-2018, 10:56 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
How can I say, “I can’t afford that”

You just did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships