Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 10:03 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times

Advertisements

I don't know that I'm thinkng of it in a sexual way, per se (it's not, actually...at all) but rather, in a privacy and adult intimacy (which obviously is not necessarily sexual) way.

My vagina, my choice who sees it.

My choice would be: not my father. I don't think that necessarily means repression, a rocky relationship or some deep-seated psychological issue. We were discussing privacy and teens on another board and indeed, teens do develop a sense of privacy partly in order to separate themselves from their parents to no longer believe they're an extension of their parents - a normal and necessary developmental step. It is not necessarily sexual and it definitely isn't based on a bad relationship within the family or anything. Every child comes to his or her level of desired privacy. This will always vary.

In my case that enduring "little place" of privacy would include: no, Dad does not watch my child - and a lot of poop (my poor husband to watch that, LOL, what a trooper) and fluids - emerge from my vagina. And I do find it a little off-putting that a person would specifically ask to watch the birth like it was a show. It's something the woman offers. I would find it something along the lines of the father treating his daughter as if she is the child whose privacy may be interrupted at the parent's will. Though I can't say that unilaterally, for every single case, every relationship and so on. That's not a sweeping decision for every case, it is an impression.

Simple as that. But the two choices were creepy or not, and I went with creepy, partly because it was a pretty humorous way to put things and I'm sure it was meant to be, just look at the OP's username.

To each her own. I wouldn't presume to tell the next woman she should be like me, nor do I know that woman's family situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 05:29 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Would it be creepy for your own father to ask to be in the delivery room when you give birth to your baby?
I wouldn't think so. Maybe the father wanted to see the birth of his grandchild...

Old 05-23-2016, 05:34 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
I'm not sure why anyone would think it is creepy for a man to be interested in seeing his grandbaby be born. I find it interesting the OP would even post such a question. Where is the OP's head at??

In case their head is worried about some kind of sexual stimulation of the father, I personally can't think of anything LESS sexually stimulating than watching a birth, lol.

The event is not about the person giving birth. All focus is on the person being born.

There is no better way to make someone feel like they are part of a child's life than for them to be present at its birth. If an expectant mother wants their father to feel excluded from their child's life, there is no better way to start that process than by excluding them from the start.

They should at least be treated equally to any other family member.

Jeez, what next?? Does the OP also find letting the father of a baby girl change its diapers creepy?? Should the mother of a baby boy NOT be allowed to breastfeed or change its diapers due to a possible pedophilic-creepy factor that exists only in someone's psyche??

Birthing is a family event.
I think you mean where was his head at. Old thread. I myself posted before checking the date.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:54 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,060 times
Hmmm. Is the asker lending moral support by presence? or is he asking to 'catch'?

#1 I give #1 authority to the mom-to-be as to whos IN and whos OUT of the room. If she's trippin on Demerol, defer to dad.
#2 I give #2 authority to the doctor to kick anyone out who is in the way. Depending on how humble/fancy your birthing suite is in the hospital, 1 doctor, 1 anesthesiologist, 2 nurses, 1 mom, 1 dad, there may not be ROOM for gramps, MIL, sisters, cousins, former roommates and other assorted visitors ONCE the dilation passes a certain threshold. Y'all can go hit the cafeteria, we'll let you know when you can come back.

It doesn't have to be creepy, if GrandDad stands off to the side and out of the way. Although it was decades ago, he might have already seen his daughter's woo-haa plenty times when he changed the diaper and wiped the poop off of her. There's a very uncomfortable short time frame in an infants life, where only a rectal thermometer 'counts', if you want to keep on this topic Extra Creepy.

By the way, birth can very much be disgusting, bloody, weird, unsettling - I was proud to cut the umbilical cord - but have you EVER seen a placenta? wtf is THAT?!? Its hard to believe that thing was ATTACHED to my beautiful child.

Everybody's family and culture is different. I know a couple that CAMCORDED their childs birth and was willing to show it to anyone. I don't want to see your wife's woo-haa. The healthy kid in the bassinet a day later is FINE.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:46 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:

If by "family", you mean birthing mom and father of the baby, yes! If you mean extended family...no way in h e double toothpicks!!

I love my inlaws dearly, but no way would I have been comfortable having them in the delivery. Even my own parents - no way, no how.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:50 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,841 times
Quote:
I'm not sure why anyone would think it is creepy for a man to be interested in seeing his grandbaby be born. I find it interesting the OP would even post such a question. Where is the OP's head at??
Given this thread was started over 7 years ago, I'm guessing the OP's head has moved on to other things.

My dad died in 2004. So yes, it would be VERY creepy if he asked to be in the delivery room!

Old 05-24-2016, 08:01 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Creepier than a Stephen King novel.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:29 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:

I would not let looking at my stretched vag turn into a family event

Old 05-24-2016, 09:28 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:

In case their head is worried about some kind of sexual stimulation of the father, I personally can't think of anything LESS sexually stimulating than watching a birth, lol.

The event is not about the person giving birth. All focus is on the person being born.

There is no better way to make someone feel like they are part of a child's life than for them to be present at its birth. If an expectant mother wants their father to feel excluded from their child's life, there is no better way to start that process than by excluding them from the start.

They should at least be treated equally to any other family member.

Jeez, what next?? Does the OP also find letting the father of a baby girl change its diapers creepy?? Should the mother of a baby boy NOT be allowed to breastfeed or change its diapers due to a possible pedophilic-creepy factor that exists only in someone's psyche??

What now?
Child birth is a bodily function not a family event. Just like pooping. its also a medical procedure, like a colonoscopy or vasectomy. Its invasive, like a pelvic exam, its painful like pancreatitis. None of which warrants and audience, invitations nor hors d'oeuvors. Its not an event like a birthday, wedding, anniversary, graduation or reunion.

And yes, the actual labor and delivery, known as birth is very much all about the mother. A person can be a part of that that new life once it is actually born into the world, cleaned up and presented. We celebrate a couples marriage by attending the wedding and reception but it doesn't me we need to be present at the consummation.

Anyway, to each their own but inviting ones self at all is rude and to invite oneself to a anothers bodily function/medical procedure is creepy.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:50 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
If by "family", you mean birthing mom and father of the baby, yes! If you mean extended family...no way in h e double toothpicks!!

I love my inlaws dearly, but no way would I have been comfortable having them in the delivery. Even my own parents - no way, no how.
I hadn't even thought of this, LOL, but...what an unsavory thought.

I just got a mental image of my MIL standing over my vagina announcing that I was at a particular angle that could cause scraping against the urethra, cause a urinary tract infection that could become systemmmmmmmmmmmmmmic oh my Gaaaaaaaaaaaaahd and I could DIE, so if I don't want to listen to her, FINE, I'm an adult and fully allowed to make my own decisions and she is 100% on-board with that and respects my wishes to JUST DIE if that's my choice not to liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisten to her...Well, even though she is the one with certain specific college courses I never took and therefore is a professional who has not some little experience with this sort of thing but she RESPECTS exACTly what I want so...it's up to ME really...you know...so...what am I going to do, have I come to a decision yet? If so, what is it...? She'd like to know, it would make her feel BETTER to know................

Legs up or not, I'd be grabbing the nearest scalpel to shank her with.

Last edited by JerZ; 05-24-2016 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: Whoops, DP!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships