Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 02:28 PM

943 posts, read 3,160,172 times

Advertisements

I have been keeping in touch with a close friend from college via Christmas Cards and email for over 20 years, but have not spoken to him in over 15 years and have not seen him in over 20. Now he has decided it is time to bring the family of eight to Washington DC this summer. He lives in Idaho.

He emailed me and asked if we can put him and his family up for four nights. They would be happy to sleep on the floor. How would you respond?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 02:32 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,702,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I have been keeping in touch with a close friend from college via Christmas Cards and email for over 20 years, but have not spoken to him in over 15 years and have not seen him in over 20. Now he has decided it is time to bring the family of eight to Washington DC this summer. He lives in Idaho.

He emailed me and asked if we can put him and his family up for four nights. They would be happy to sleep on the floor. How would you respond?
"No thanks, but thank you for thinking about me when you want to be a cheaper user though!"

Old 04-22-2009, 02:39 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Blame your spouse. Tell them, sorry but Mr/Mrs. Weekend Traveler doesn't like having anyone for a sleep over in the house that isn't family. Offer an affordable alternative in the area and tell him you'd love to get together for a drink when he can break away from his family of 8. Unless of course, you like meeting a family of 8 for lunch or dinner - just pray they aren't like Clark Griswold's cousin Eddie and his family if that's the case!

Old 04-22-2009, 02:42 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
If he is a friend then say yes. Wouldn't you enjoy their company ? I don't get the hesitation.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:43 PM

4,739 posts, read 8,375,359 times
I'd say where did you find a women that was willing to pump out 6 babies by you and call sleeping on my floor a vacation?

Old 04-22-2009, 02:50 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,335,218 times
Tell him you're going to Ohio the same week he'll be in DC. End of story.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:56 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,052,947 times
That's a hell of a lot of nerves for someone to even ask that, especially since you haven't spoken to him in over 15 years...

I'd tell him sorry, that you aren't able to accommodate him and his family right now and I'd research some cheap motels in your area and send him that information. There's no need for a DETAILED explanation as to WHY you're unable to accommodate his family. You don't owe him anything.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:03 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times
Family of eight?! Yikes!
I think that decision would be left up to you and yours, but I`m thinking maybe, out of respect, he should have at least ask you first, if it would be ok. I realize that motels/hotels are expensive nowdays, but he should have ask, instead of inviting himself and his crew.
I think that if you have the room and extra space, and can afford to entertain that many, then go for it. If not, then come up with an excuse.
Do they plan to just hang out with you, or go sight seeing or something, to entertain themselves?

Old 04-22-2009, 03:29 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
I'd also turn down his outrageous request for free lodgings. It's not your problem that he's got six kids. I'd say no due to family commitments.

There are campgrounds near DC. When I'd do a show at the DC Armory, there was a dealer that used to stay at them in her van. Suggest that to them. Are they driving or flying out to DC?

Old 04-22-2009, 03:43 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
People don't stay at my house unless they are really close friends or family.

There are some people who treat their house like a free motel and every swinging associate they've ever met is free to drop by. Some people don't understand "boundaries".

I'd say for one thing 8 people in your house for 4 days is a bit much especially when you really don't know this person. And I say you don't know them because they've not been a friend for the past 20 years. People can change a hell of a lot in 20 years.

There are plenty of excuses to use and I'd use one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships