Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 09:01 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
the hoi toider accent is the close to Shakespearean era British. You hear it the most Down East ( Down East (North Carolina) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ), but it's dying out. All along coastal NC, the cadence people talk is still about that fast, like the brits, and non-rhotic, without the traditional southern drawl. You'll also find words used like "mommick" and "dingbatter" you won't hear most other places. I grew up in coastal NC and I have to consciously slow down the cadence I speak at when talking to people east of Kinston or non-natives. If i get excited i talk real fast and get hard to understand. People not from East/Coastal NC will often say it sounds like locals are mumbling.
meant to say west
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 09:20 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
With the MidAtlantic accent (Baltimore & Philadelphia), It's easy enough to find the blue collar versions on You tube, but there are middle class/upper class versions that are much milder. Those sound very, very close to many of the people in this video.

dialect in southern cities - YouTube

However, with the blue collar versions it's pretty easy to see some similarities to the more traditional Southern dialects, as well as some northern ones.

The Baltimore natives, speaking the blue collar accent, say their city as Bal'mer.

The Don & Mike Show - Baltimore Accents (Part 1 of 2) - YouTube

The blue collars Philadelphians call their city Fluffya

PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube

That's the same guy that I posted before. His MidAtlantic overview has 6 parts.

There are distinctly Southern accents in South Jersey, near Delaware Bay, which is referred to, locally, as Deep South Jersey, in Delaware, and Maryland.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:57 AM

386 posts, read 655,709 times
While its not related to the NC discussion, the baltimore accent definitely doest sound that accentuated in the "wild". While the philly accent does have some accentuated vowels like SAE, it gets it from Baltimore region which has had its southern accent watered down a bit. The traditional baltimore is pretty close to "hoi toider". Now get outside the city and youll see some neighborhoods with a more traditional SAE. But again central MD is a HIGH yankee occupied zone and youll rarely find a native marylander, and even then alot are galvenized yankees (my brothers are a prime example of this).

As much as youre trying to push philly, south NJ and north deleware as having southern accents youre wasting your time IMHO. I have driven through these parts quite a bit on the way to my wifes family and while some blue collar dialects borrow some aspects (by way of MD) they are still not true southern accents. Really only the over accentuated "o" sound is present it seems.

*On topic*

I watched the city video and I noticed a gentleman much older then myself with a very watered down accent and while this is somewhat saddening it at least comforts me in that MD/VA arent the only ones suffering from this.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:05 AM

374 posts, read 812,769 times
Since when are Maryland and Deleware in the South? Actual Southerners would get a kick out of that.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:41 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
While its not related to the NC discussion, the baltimore accent definitely doest sound that accentuated in the "wild". While the philly accent does have some accentuated vowels like SAE, it gets it from Baltimore region which has had its southern accent watered down a bit. The traditional baltimore is pretty close to "hoi toider". Now get outside the city and youll see some neighborhoods with a more traditional SAE. But again central MD is a HIGH yankee occupied zone and youll rarely find a native marylander, and even then alot are galvenized yankees (my brothers are a prime example of this).

As much as youre trying to push philly, south NJ and north deleware as having southern accents youre wasting your time IMHO. I have driven through these parts quite a bit on the way to my wifes family and while some blue collar dialects borrow some aspects (by way of MD) they are still not true southern accents. Really only the over accentuated "o" sound is present it seems.

*On topic*

I watched the city video and I noticed a gentleman much older then myself with a very watered down accent and while this is somewhat saddening it at least comforts me in that MD/VA arent the only ones suffering from this.
I never said that. The accents are MidAtlantic & have elements of north & south. They are similar but slightly different from each other. It's the only region that calls the state that you live in Merlin, as far as I know. Deep South Jersey, southern Delaware & Delmarva as well as parts of "Merlin" do have southern accents. Go up around Woodstown & Bivalve in South Jersey.

Immigration to Delmarva was usually direct. The rest of the region had a more mixed immigration in higher volumes from more places. Also, keep in mind that until the Mason_Dixon line was done, the Penns & the Calverts had overlapping grants. The families were selling land on both sides of what became the state line, when Mr. Mason & Mr. Dixon were done.

With few exceptions, Bal'mer & Fluffya never dropped their Rs when that became the fashion in the 19th century.

I highly recommend that you read H.L. Mencken & check the University of PA linguistics site. William Labov Home Page

I'm not providing a link to Mencken because he wrote the book way before political correctness was invented.

The watered down versions of the MidAtlantic dialect most certainly have more than a passing similarity to the watered down version of the Charlotte dialect.

ETA: I have known real people who had those thick Bal'mer & Fluffya accents. Those accents were fading away, replaced by the watered down versions. Oddly enough, they're back.

Last edited by southbound_295; 05-01-2012 at 11:56 AM..

Old 05-01-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
Since when are Maryland and Deleware in the South? Actual Southerners would get a kick out of that.
Since colonial days (deleware isnt IMHO outside of the bottom 1/3rd). Ignorant train is that way by the way.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:30 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,918,266 times
Eastern NC definitely has a southern accent.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:43 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
Eastern NC definitely has a southern accent.
I often point people to former governor mike Easley, who was from Eastern NC, for an "educated Eastern NC" accent. In the interview here, he actually is a little more "standard" than other times I've heard the more recognizable non-rhotic ("bettah" for "better" etc) flavor. There is a little of that here ("dollahs"), but he seems to be in "TV mode" here.

Current governor Purdue is also from Eastern NC, but she seems to have "polished" her accent to more of a standard generic NC one with less of the eastern flavor.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-01-2012 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: fixed the youtube url

Old 05-01-2012, 03:25 PM

374 posts, read 812,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
Since colonial days (deleware isnt IMHO outside of the bottom 1/3rd). Ignorant train is that way by the way.
Yeah. It isn't the Colonial Days anymore. I'm from the actual South. But, I think it's cute that you all want to be included too, though.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
Yeah. It isn't the Colonial Days anymore. I'm from the actual South. But, I think it's cute that you all want to be included too, though.
Not a discussion for here, but just an FYI "since" doesnt mean it stopped at that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina