Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2013, 10:00 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times

Advertisements

When Governor McCharlotte and his buddies shift the progressive income tax burden to our groceries, south Charlotte and its NC burbs will suffer the most. How ironic it will be..... NC shoppers will just cross the state line into SC to avoid the taxes and the grocery stores and the strip center brethren that they anchor will lose business and profits in that razor-thin-margin industry
Pass the popcorn. This should be interesting to watch if it comes to pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 11:13 PM

910 posts, read 1,319,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
Social security benefits are not taxed in Florida . Nor are they taxed in a good number of states.
They're taxed federally, therefore it's a moot point.

Pope's Variety Wholesalers stores are located in low-income areas. If sales taxes go up his stores will lose a lot of money as those people buy less stuff. He's not an idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
When Governor McCharlotte and his buddies shift the progressive income tax burden to our groceries, south Charlotte and its NC burbs will suffer the most. How ironic it will be..... NC shoppers will just cross the state line into SC to avoid the taxes and the grocery stores and the strip center brethren that they anchor will lose business and profits in that razor-thin-margin industry
If it passes (and it likely won't) Dare County will have some of the highest sales taxes in the country, over 12% on prepared foods.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:24 AM

235 posts, read 307,254 times
Quote:
Um... Don't tell Pat or Anthony , but we started doing that years ago...

Old 01-25-2013, 06:42 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,218,598 times
Any updates on this? I am looking to move to the region and a lesser tax burdeon would definitely sway us in the direction of NC.

As far as higher taxes being place on food, etc. I plant a big garden and grow my own organic food, and shop a lot at thrift stores when possible.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:20 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperparatus! View Post
The **current** sales tax rate is too high.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperparatus! View Post
If it goes to 8% total, you won't be the only one.

Just out of curiosity, how are incomes taxed if the job is Charlotte/NC and one lives in SC? Does NC charge taxes on workers who cross the state line to live like is done in some other border cities in the US?

Old 01-25-2013, 08:30 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:

Just out of curiosity, how are incomes taxed if the job is Charlotte/NC and one lives in SC? Does NC charge taxes on workers who cross the state line to live like is done in some other border cities in the US?
This topic has come up before. Here is a thread that might answer your question.
Income tax for SC vs. NC

Old 01-25-2013, 08:36 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:

This is an interesting scenario as in the past I have lived in one state and worked in another - NY / NJ. My taxes worked out that I was given "credit" (ultimately a refund) to the state I worked in (NJ) from the state I lived in (NY) through a reciprocal agreement. That made sense as both states had income tax. Should this come to pass and NC not collect income tax anymore, I wonder if SC would expect payment for living there while working in NC?

Old 01-25-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
This topic has come up before. Here is a thread that might answer your question.
Income tax for SC vs. NC
Interesting....it would also be interesting to see how an income tax elimination would affect the housing market. Surely property taxes would have to increase in NC if it were to eliminate income tax. They might not tell you that now but most (if not all) states without an income tax have very high property tax rates. There's no free lunch.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:13 AM

160 posts, read 235,190 times
Hard to tell as I suspect each state is different.

Years ago, I worked in Massachusetts. Colleagues who lived in NH, but worked in MA had to pay MA income tax. Since NH had other taxes to account for the lack of an income tax, those folks ended up getting taxed more than the rest of us.

If this passes, that may be just what happens here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina