Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2013, 03:40 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,569,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The governor doesn't make jobs, but the governor & legislature set the tone for local officials attracting jobs. Where I live, I see a difference in job growth already & it's negative.

Refusing to sign up for the medicaid expansion doesn't help the state's image. Signing up for it would have saved the state money which could have been used to pay back the unemployment debt. Slashing the unemployment will cost them free federal assistance & push more people to welfare. While we're at it, the Republicans raised the unemployment tax paid by employers. That is going to result in fewer jobs.
So many people think otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 03:49 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
We don't need the medical expansion. We are going bankrupt in NC and the bleeding must stop.
Fed Unemployement loans - where does the money come from? Just keep printing it? The dems
recently increased your taxes 2% - need proof, look at your pay stub and compare the tax rate to last year.
Plenty of jobs do not come with health insurance. Lots of people are unable to get it, because of what they are paid, but also because of cost because of having had cancer or a disease like juvenile diabetes. Those people were uninsurable, but now can get it, but the cost is still high. So if it doesn't have an effect on you, it seems that you look down on others. Not everything is someone's fault or the result of people not trying to take care of themselves.

Back in the 70s, after a recession, Congress passed a bill to give a tax break to companies that hired the long term unemployed. It worked. The Republicans in DC refused to to that this time. This has resulted in a problem with getting people back to work. The GA raised the unemployment tax in NC. That is not going to put people back to work. It will have the opposite effect.

The state gets 65% of the cost of Medicaid. Taking the extension would have insured more people, most of whom are employed, at least part-time, & covered it 100% for 3 years. That would have freed up money to pay off the unemployment debt. If you don't understand that, I'm sorry, but most people do.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
So many people think otherwise.
Sadly, this is true.

Bev gave a good image & state policies were forward-thinking. This attracted good businesses with good policies who payed well & treated the employees well.

The national news has picked up the about-face in the state government. This will scare off a lot of companies. It's a shame.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:10 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,395,326 times
So the Gov. is refusing federal support for Medicare but people who have no coverage are still going to be treated in the hospitals and instead of the fed govt. paying part of the tab it will be up to NC property owners to pick up that tab.

Makes perfect sense to me. NOT

Old 03-06-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
So the Gov. is refusing federal support for Medicare but people who have no coverage are still going to be treated in the hospitals and instead of the fed govt. paying part of the tab it will be up to NC property owners to pick up that tab.

Makes perfect sense to me. NOT
Oh, it's better than that. They slashed unemployment to 12 - 20 weeks with a maximum outpay of $350 a week & jacked up the unemployment tax on employers. This means that there will be no federal help with unemployment.

Our government working for us.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Sadly, this is true.

Bev gave a good image & state policies were forward-thinking. This attracted good businesses with good policies who payed well & treated the employees well.

The national news has picked up the about-face in the state government. This will scare off a lot of companies. It's a shame.
She came into a bad situation and unfortunately received the wrath from voters because they think this economic situation could be fixed in the time it takes to microwave a bag of popcorn.
I have the same concern with the about face, but the good news is mid-terms will be 2014 and maybe we can get some balance back in Raleigh.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
She came into a bad situation and unfortunately received the wrath from voters because they think this economic situation could be fixed in the time it takes to microwave a bag of popcorn.
I have the same concern with the about face, but the good news is mid-terms will be 2014 and maybe we can get some balance back in Raleigh.
I can only hope. I don't like either extreme.

I can't help but wonder what they're going to do when the applications for welfare skyrocket because of what they did to the unemployment. I hate it when people refuse to understand that unemployment is not the same as welfare.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
I can only hope. I don't like either extreme.

I can't help but wonder what they're going to do when the applications for welfare skyrocket because of what they did to the unemployment. I hate it when people refuse to understand that unemployment is not the same as welfare.
Agreed, these airheads get into office believing the 51% + that voted for them are the majority voice. The majority of what exactly? The six out of the ten that turned out?
The word "entitlement" is thrown around lumping everyone who uses the program in the same stereotype.
The problem we have in this state and in this country we spend too much time focusing on the abusers and implementing rules that ultimately hurt people truly in need.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:04 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,970,823 times
Wow, this guy's a genius. I'm so glad that he addressed the all important POSSUM DROP in Brasstown while pulling the rug out from underneath so many people struggling already. Thank God his priorities are straight! McCrory signs Medicaid, 3 other bills | abc11.com

Old 03-06-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Agreed, these airheads get into office believing the 51% + that voted for them are the majority voice. The majority of what exactly? The six out of the ten that turned out?
The word "entitlement" is thrown around lumping everyone who uses the program in the same stereotype.
The problem we have in this state and in this country we spend too much time focusing on the abusers and implementing rules that ultimately hurt people truly in need.
It's just sad. They've even gone so far as to lump people drawing social security into it.

I saw Chuck Todd interview McCrory. The interview started with Chuck Todd asking him about the Medicaid decision & then went on to ask him about the the unemployment situation. I think that McCrory realized how pathetic his answers were, but that doesn't change a thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina