Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 07:51 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,567,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondra View Post
I totally agree, MikeyKid! I, too, am sick of the empty words of all politicians and then watch them do the opposite action. That is one reason why do not align with any one party. I vote for the person, not the party. However, nowadays it seems we are voting for the lesser of two evils.

I became a volunteer in 2011 for an organization that I thought would help bring a difference for the people, but soon found that the 'managers' had there own personal agenda or were 'moles' from a political party. Any action that was suggested that could get some attention was immediately denied. So much for 'grassroots' groups. It seems the only action so far that has gotten attention is the Occupy movement, phone calls and petitions.

As for the gentleman who asked how I would exist on a tight budget--I downsized my home, sold many of my possessions and am now living on half of what I did before. We don't need all of the 'stuff' to keep up with the Jones's. I saw this coming over a decade ago and educated myself on how I could live more cheaply.

People need to be more educated about our legislators and what they are doing and not doing. I agree we need to tighten our belts in the state, but until I see the legislators willing to take a pay cut to show their support for the people (and other options such as cutting retirement pay for legislators--many average workers do not get that security and I am not talking about social security), have the same type of health care that the average person has (or more often than not doesn't because they can't afford it), etc.

I would love to see them cut their pay just as they have cut NC teachers' pay. How do they expect to improve test scores if they can't attract quality teachers? Yes, I hear you now--pay does not guarantee a quality teacher. True, but how many quality individuals are going to sacrifice their income just to teach and get a lower salary? I have seen this happen in other areas and usually the good teachers left because they could not get the support from parents, administrators and the states to teach creatively not just because of the pay. My mother taught in a 2-room schoolhouse and when that school merged into the larger school system, ALL of the students tested higher than their grade.
You're right, high pay may not guarantee a quality teacher, but low pay won't help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 08:05 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
You're right, high pay may not guarantee a quality teacher, but low pay won't help.
Worse... it will drive the teachers *with any choice* out of the system and out of the state.
(usually these are the best teachers)

Old 08-22-2013, 07:18 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,198,784 times
Pat's turned into a true "do as I say, not as I do" type of guy.

And I'm genuinely disappointed. I believed in this clown.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:59 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,974,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post

While he and the rest of the Republican legislature have been focused on advancing their right-wing agenda, WHERE ARE THE FREAKING JOBS?

Old 08-23-2013, 12:04 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,308,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
While he and the rest of the Republican legislature have been focused on advancing their right-wing agenda, WHERE ARE THE FREAKING JOBS?
The jobs went to his staff because we don't have the money to give it the teachers.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:59 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,160,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post

Me too. I was fooled into thinking that he might be able to reign in the wingnuts in his party and lead a move towards moderation and progress, as opposed to Dalton who wouldn't stand a chance of getting anything done. Now I feel like Bush II--"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me...you can't get fooled again".

Old 08-23-2013, 06:17 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,925,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
We don't need the medical expansion. We are going bankrupt in NC and the bleeding must stop.
....Just keep printing it? ....

This is a good point. Most people do not realize that every dollar that rolls off the printing press is a tax increase.

Don't believe it? $3.50 gas is now normal....not an emergency that leads every news cast.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:49 AM

848 posts, read 1,120,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Worse... it will drive the teachers *with any choice* out of the system and out of the state.
(usually these are the best teachers)
which is the goal. an educated population is dangerous to the NC GOTP

Old 08-23-2013, 08:51 AM

848 posts, read 1,120,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
This is a good point. Most people do not realize that every dollar that rolls off the printing press is a tax increase.

Don't believe it? $3.50 gas is now normal....not an emergency that leads every news cast.
it's a talking point. I'm sick and tired of paying for healthcare for people too lazy and irresponsible to get insurance.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:08 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,970,557 times
Thought it would be fun. To bump this thread to see if opinions have changed on our illustrious governor.

Mine has not. Don't think it could get any worse - my opinion that is, not the job he's doing. Every time I hear about something else he's done, just convinces me this state is in for a very bumpy ride. The latest issue being the changes to our taxes. More breaks for the wealthy, more pain for the not so wealthy. He makes me ill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina