Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 01:25 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times

Advertisements

There are abunch of Cali's moving there as well ( which I am sure will please the people of oregon) I mention to anyone here where we just moved from and they all ask me why we moved there in the first place. it seems to be a midwest thing now as well. and texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2006, 01:27 PM

676 posts, read 3,076,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
That's funny and so true. When I starting mentioning to people here about moving to NC, they would look at me like I had two heads or something. Almost repulsive, like I lost my mind or something. It certainly hasn't caught fire here yet. It's maybe a hot thing in NY or Jersey, Fla. but here people look at you like you are a nut job.
Exactly! I guess that is why it is so weird to me to have discovered after the fact that NC is this hot spot. I have told my CA friends that NC seems to be the Phoenix and Vegas of the east coast.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
There are abunch of Cali's moving there as well ( which I am sure will please the people of oregon) I mention to anyone here where we just moved from and they all ask me why we moved there in the first place. it seems to be a midwest thing now as well. and texas
Yeah, my brother in Oregon and the other brother in WA both think we are NUTS for moving here!! They say pop in WA too

Old 10-11-2006, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
Yeah, my brother in Oregon and the other brother in WA both think we are NUTS for moving here!! They say pop in WA too
When I told my family we were moving they didnt understand and was angry, then they came to visit us in NC and unfortuntely it was during the summer and it didnt help our cause much. Now we are in AZ and they are happier but know not to come in summer!!!!! Where does your brother live in Oregon?

Old 10-11-2006, 01:47 PM

Portland. He loves it there and trash talks NC even though he has never been here before! He is coming for T-giving, so we got lucky that he didn't visit during the summer. My mom came out this August, so we know we won't be convincing her to move out here anytime soon. She lives in WA, but plans on moving to ID in a few years anyway. A very cute grandson didn't even help convince her NC is better than ID!!! Seriously, she and her new husband started building their retirement home in ID before we moved to NC, so it is more than the humidity that is keeping her from following us here.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:57 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Ok what wrong with pop? I should fit right in here!!!
I feel weird saying Pop, it's too strange.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:59 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,109 times
Quote:
Exactly! I guess that is why it is so weird to me to have discovered after the fact that NC is this hot spot. I have told my CA friends that NC seems to be the Phoenix and Vegas of the east coast.
That's what I said when I found this forum. It was shocking!! I wonder if Phoenix and Vegas had these kinds of numbers a few years ago.

Old 10-11-2006, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Portland. He loves it there and trash talks NC even though he has never been here before! He is coming for T-giving, so we got lucky that he didn't visit during the summer. My mom came out this August, so we know we won't be convincing her to move out here anytime soon. She lives in WA, but plans on moving to ID in a few years anyway. A very cute grandson didn't even help convince her NC is better than ID!!! Seriously, she and her new husband started building their retirement home in ID before we moved to NC, so it is more than the humidity that is keeping her from following us here.
Weird, my family came from Idaho and Montana, rigby and idaho falls, they still live there, I like Idaho better than NC well parts of it anyway, not the Asheville area, I love that. My mom wouldnt come back after the visit and we tried to get her to move there but luckily she didnt cause boy would she be mad now we are in AZ!!!!! You really cant say anthing about NC until you have been there, I personally lived in Porlland 32 years born and raised and will never go back, I dont like it anymore.

Old 10-11-2006, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
I feel weird saying Pop, it's too strange.
you can make some great noises saying POP!!!! My son always said "so duh!!! when we were in NC!!LOL

Old 10-11-2006, 02:55 PM

463 posts, read 1,651,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgray007 View Post
I don't think people are being intentionally negative, and it's prefectly legitimate and helpful to tell folks you tried something, it didn't work out, and here's why. I am not a native New Yorker, and moved here a couple of years ago with the best of intentions. For every one of me there are probably 50 other folks who absolutely love Manhattan and all it entails. Because it's not my cup of tea is not an indictment on Manhattan as a whole.

I also think there's a subtle nuance between doing something quickly, and rushing to judgement. You could spend 10 years planning a move to NC (or anywhere for that matter) but if you don't consider what would happen if things don't work out, and what you will do in that case, you are rushing into it. By the same token, you could look and buy in the course of one weekend with a fully developed "contingency plan" and be just as happy or unhappy.

I think the key is to look beyond all the magazine and city-data hype, and make sure you go in with an understanding of the negatives and thoughts as to what you will do in the "worst case scenario."
I love your post! Especially the last sentence. Not only funny but a sensitive guy. I'm kind of summarizing from catching up on the thread here: I think the problem is that people have different ideas of what being "helpful" is. I would never tell someone "move here, you won't have any problem finding a job and you will love it" because I'd feel responsible if they didn't. How the heck do I know that they will love it or they won't have any problem finding a job? I'm also learning that people don't want to hear anything that they consider "negative." ( And my rep points got hit too, Nea1. I'm not even going to read the comments which I'm sure are just as *lovely* as some prior ones.) If what people want to hear is pie-in-the sky there are plenty of posters who will provide that. I've lived in a lot of different places and North Carolina is a nice state but it isn't the be-all and end-all.

I reckon some people are just going to have to learn that the hard way.

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 10-11-2006 at 03:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina