Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 10:11 AM

26 posts, read 65,293 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, after much discussion, my husband and I have done something we thought we would never do and that is consider leaving Southern California for North Carolina. We are both natives to Ca., but, we are soooooo tired of the endless terrible situations here, illegal immigration, the will of the California voters being over-turned by liberal judges, high cost of living, etc. I have a few old friends who relocated to N.C, both to different parts of the state, and they love it there. This summer, we are planning a trip there to see for ourselves. Ok, the bad stuff, from what I have learned is that No. Carolina has hurricanes, hot summers, but, what else? The good stuff is that No. Carolina has lower priced homes, better communitys, slower-paced lifestyle, more conservative values.....if there are any other Southern California natives out there now living in No. Carolina, I welcome your posts to the pros and cons of leaving So. Cal for No. Carolina. Thanks. Brigitte
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2006, 10:23 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,623 times
Brigitte, well, you can read all about the cons of living in Los Angeles from my posts here and in the L.A. forum as well.

We are stuck in L.A. until my husband retires, but have the same game plan as you: to come scout the beautiful state of NC and get a grip on the realities there. In our case, we're pretty sure we'll come out better in the trade-offs even were we to move to a molten lava bed.

Old 04-28-2006, 10:34 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,041,725 times
Default Nc

I don't see anything wrong with a blue-eyed CA girl moving to our fine state!

I'm beginning to wonder how much more some CA residents can take with the high cost of living, immigrations problems, etc. I've read several posts by fastfilm on the CA forum, and it sounds depressing in some areas.

But that begs the question -- Why do millions of people live there and are still moving into the state if it is so bad? I know the weather and natural beauty of CA are wonderful, but does it have to do with a general lifestyle that people enjoy out there?

By the way, I've met a few CA transplants here, but not nearly as many as from the eastern U.S. (which only makes sense due to the distance of CA from NC).

Old 04-28-2006, 10:42 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,213,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatBlue-EyedGirl
Hello everyone, after much discussion, my husband and I have done something we thought we would never do and that is consider leaving Southern California for North Carolina. We are both natives to Ca., but, we are soooooo tired of the endless terrible situations here, illegal immigration, the will of the California voters being over-turned by liberal judges, high cost of living, etc. I have a few old friends who relocated to N.C, both to different parts of the state, and they love it there. This summer, we are planning a trip there to see for ourselves. Ok, the bad stuff, from what I have learned is that No. Carolina has hurricanes, hot summers, but, what else? The good stuff is that No. Carolina has lower priced homes, better communitys, slower-paced lifestyle, more conservative values.....if there are any other Southern California natives out there now living in No. Carolina, I welcome your posts to the pros and cons of leaving So. Cal for No. Carolina. Thanks. Brigitte
Hell Brigitte: we too came from Southern CA close to 2 1/2 years ago. We are located in SC (right next to the border of NC...so close I could easily walk to the state line), and right out of Charlotte, NC. Depending where you live in the state will determine what the hurricane situation would be. In the Piedmont areas it is more lightning and thunderstorms that cause concern vs. hurricanes. Humidity...you bet...again not as much as the coastal areas but definitely more than CA. Regarding illegal immigration...well it is happening here as well (the Carolina's are seeing an explosion of growth right now...and with that said...there are homes to be built and roads to be added). North Carolina seems to be seing more of an influx than South Carolina. Sure the Carolina's have some flaws but the upsides of living here far out weigh the downsides. Would we every consider moving back to CA?....Not a Chance!

Old 04-28-2006, 10:44 AM
gmb

45 posts, read 289,351 times
I think most people who are leaving SoCal are middle-class, educated people who can't afford the high cost of living. The ones moving in are upper-class, retirees or Mexican immigrants. On our local news last night they said more middle-class are leaving in droves while the retirees, upper-class and immigrant population is growing, so our home prices will continue to stay high because of supply and demand - we don't have enough room for new housing. At least that is the case in my area. There are places inland like Bakersfield and Modesto that are still considered "affordable," but many of us would rather pick up and go than move to Bakersfield! I think I am realizing that NC is for the east what AZ and Las Vegas is for the west. Many people from CA are fleeing to AZ and Las Vegas while it sounds like NJ, MA, CT, etc. are going to NC. Then there are those of us who are willing to go across country for something new!

Old 04-28-2006, 01:53 PM

Hi, thanks for responding!! My husband was born and raised in the Long Beach area of So. Cal., and he would like to stay somewhat 'coastal' if we do end up in North Carolina, as he is an avid ocean fisherman. I was raised in the San Gabriel Valley, and prefer the mountains! Luckliy, No. Carolina has both. I look forward to our trip this summer, as I have never been on the East coast, and I love everything I have seen so far about North Carolina.

Old 04-28-2006, 02:05 PM

Hi, I have no desire to move to Arizona or Las Vegas, it's too much like So. Cal. I bought a house here in 1997, and it's obscene how much my house is now worth, it has tripled in value! From what I can make off this house in So. Cal, we could have an even better quality of living in No. Carolina. The scary thing is, is that a poll was just released on AOL, and it listed the 10 Best Nieghborhoods to live in, and where I live now, is considered one of the best!! I guess it would be if you were leaving the L.A. basin or Orange County, for more afforadable (if you are a first-time home buyer) homes.

Old 04-28-2006, 02:09 PM

I do not know what lures people by the millions into California, I was just born here, in fact, my family goes back to the 1852 California Gold Rush, so, we have been here a very long time. And your right, it is getting to be very depressing here. Just two weeks ago, I was in a part of Los Angeles that I have not been in for about 7 years, and I was stunned at how bad it looks there, and seven years ago, it looked bad then, it just keeps getting worse, not better. The only reason I think people stay here is the weather, it is pretty great all year round.

Old 04-28-2006, 06:42 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,744,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS
I don't see anything wrong with a blue-eyed CA girl moving to our fine state!

I'm beginning to wonder how much more some CA residents can take with the high cost of living, immigrations problems, etc. I've read several posts by fastfilm on the CA forum, and it sounds depressing in some areas.

But that begs the question -- Why do millions of people live there and are still moving into the state if it is so bad? I know the weather and natural beauty of CA are wonderful, but does it have to do with a general lifestyle that people enjoy out there?

By the way, I've met a few CA transplants here, but not nearly as many as from the eastern U.S. (which only makes sense due to the distance of CA from NC).
The high cost of living is a little misleading. Housing for a first time buyer is extremely difficult, but it’s never been that easy. Most people start out in a condo and work their way up. A lot of home owners have 50% or more equity so it’s not the stretch that you may think for the average home owner to move up. For the last several years many home owners have been trading up every couple of years and making a killing.

The state is beautiful, but it’s overcrowded and this creates a lot of stress. Everywhere you go there is too much traffic, when you get there you have to wait in a line. This appeals to a lot of people and they are perfectly content to stay. A lot of materialistic keep ahead of the Joneses beautiful people wannabes. Most families have to have two incomes so the children are housed in daycare and as a result they become wild banshees without proper discipline or boundaries. The parents are too tired or distracted with all their toys to bother with proper discipline. Since the only guidance they get is by peer pressure it’s a crap shoot how they turn out.

There is a lot to do in CA and the weather is great. The rainy season is in the winter when it’s cooler and that creates snow so a lot of people go to the mountains. In the spring and summer it rarely rains so every day is a top down, barbeque, pool side, beach surfing, hang loose, relax, kick back type of fun day. The only problem is you have to share it with 10 million other people.

I think many on this site that are moving have reached their middle years and they realize that maybe a change would be good. Some, to be honest are just warn out. California in the last 10 years has become so over crowded and over run with foreigners that it just isn’t that appealing to those that have lived there a long time.
So much regulation is forced on you and there is no outlet. Voting doesn’t work. Even if a proposition passes one judge can over turn it and that’s it you have no recourse, too bad.

Old 04-28-2006, 06:45 PM

787 posts, read 3,583,643 times
Housing by California and New York standards is very affordable here. Welcome to North Carolina. And I hope you learn to love it here like the rest of the old timers do. Myself included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina