Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 11:09 AM

954 posts, read 4,378,005 times

Advertisements

Like most places, health care is somewhat patchwork.
When we lived in NC we lived in the foothills, in a very small town. I was a pastor at the time and many of my parishioners, told me that they would rather die on the way to Asheville, than to go to the small local hospital. Many called it a holding room for the morgue (Since then The Asheville hospital has bought them out and are managing them now, it is probably better).
However, my wife became a nurse when we lived in Greenville. She worked at the hospital as a secretary and then as a nurse. Pitt, Hospital is a great hospital and the only level 4 trauma East of Raleigh. Kelly even says that it is miles ahead of the hospital she works at here in Manhattan. Now, of course, it doesn't compare to places like Mt. Sinai or NYU.
Now, I wouldn't move back to NC for all the Tobacco in Pitt county, but there is fine health care to be had there in the right places.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:25 PM

4 posts, read 10,216 times
Default Considering moe from FL to Cary

[quote=lukeb321;126436]I guess in some ways I'm spoiled but growing up on long island I had the beaches 10 mins away and the entertainment capital of the world 30 min. train ride. My love is music and although there are some great acts that come through NC- nothing compares to NYC - but hey nothing does when discussing entertainment.

New Post:
I am currently living in FLorida, and except for the nice winter weather, I hate it. I am also from Long Island, and miss the people more than the entertainment,etc. I am looking for a place to live that is warmer than NY, affordable, and has some of us NYers living there. I am considering Cary- haven't been there yet- ust doing research and hearing good things about it. My question is if there is still a civil war being fought there, or are Yankees only a ball team there? I lived in Texas for a few years, and was afraid I would get lynched for being a Yankee!
I am wondering if anyone in this forum is a former NYer, and will give me the good, the bad and the ugly.Thanks!

Last edited by KathyC0611; 10-17-2006 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: not sure I posted correctly!

Old 10-17-2006, 02:56 PM

65 posts, read 60,277 times
not to mention nc is the racing capital of the world , and the people who want to start their career in racing move to north carolina,

and im one of those people, i am planning on moving to mooresville in the fall of 07 plan to go to the nascar technical institute, and go to a pit crew school, hopefully i can get financial aid 4 nti.
i cant wait

Old 10-18-2006, 08:49 AM

954 posts, read 4,378,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshay View Post
not to mention nc is the racing capital of the world , and the people who want to start their career in racing move to north carolina,

and im one of those people, i am planning on moving to mooresville in the fall of 07 plan to go to the nascar technical institute, and go to a pit crew school, hopefully i can get financial aid 4 nti.
i cant wait
A have some friends from College who were from Mansfield. I spent a month there one weekend.
Strangly, none of them went back there after graduation.
If you like Nascar, you will probably like NC.

Old 10-18-2006, 10:16 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,170,034 times
[quote=KathyC0611;129012]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb321 View Post
I guess in some ways I'm spoiled but growing up on long island I had the beaches 10 mins away and the entertainment capital of the world 30 min. train ride. My love is music and although there are some great acts that come through NC- nothing compares to NYC - but hey nothing does when discussing entertainment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb321 View Post

New Post:
I am currently living in FLorida, and except for the nice winter weather, I hate it. I am also from Long Island, and miss the people more than the entertainment,etc. I am looking for a place to live that is warmer than NY, affordable, and has some of us NYers living there. I am considering Cary- haven't been there yet- ust doing research and hearing good things about it. My question is if there is still a civil war being fought there, or are Yankees only a ball team there? I lived in Texas for a few years, and was afraid I would get lynched for being a Yankee!
I am wondering if anyone in this forum is a former NYer, and will give me the good, the bad and the ugly.Thanks!

Hi Kathy,
I relocated with my family from Plainview (LI) in 1998 -- we first lived in South Charlotte and now just over the Mecklenburg county border in Union county. I do not feel at all uncomfortable here...though I'm not sure I'd feel the same way in a very rural setting in NC. There are so many people from other parts of the country and I have found it very, very accepting. We love it here and I really have no desire to go back to NY. Take care, and best of luck. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions

Old 10-18-2006, 06:19 PM

3 posts, read 18,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
Yes it's true..... NC and Georgia are the only places in the country right now where a family can make it!
Georgia and NC are probably the only 2 states in the country that people can not make a decent lliving!

Old 10-18-2006, 06:22 PM

3 posts, read 18,839 times
Exclamation Flies and Gnats should become the state birds for NC

I have never seen more flies and gnats than there are in North Carolina.

Old 10-18-2006, 06:25 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ava holiday View Post
I have never seen more flies and gnats than there are in North Carolina.
Got that right!!!!!! dont forget mosquitos!!!!!! A good screen porch comes in handy and makes it more enjoyable

Last edited by Nea1; 10-18-2006 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: added

Old 10-18-2006, 08:16 PM

311 posts, read 618,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Got that right!!!!!! dont forget mosquitos!!!!!! A good screen porch comes in handy and makes it more enjoyable
Do you live in NC or AZ? Just curious.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:50 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,759 times
Default Shhh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
One big reason? A healthy economy because its people are not being choked by labor unions like other states in this country. My sister is a nurse in NY state and I cannot believe the levels of bull she has to go thru with all the different unions and organizations she is required to join (and pay a hefty fee that they call "dues") for the privilage of working in her chosen profession.

Milder winters, but still a change of seasons. Generally lower cost of living, especially still true away from the high growth areas. GREAT state universities for your children to attend if they graduate from a NC high school. Mountains and beach easily accessable for vacations. Pretty clean state politics.

I could go on and on
SHHH! Don't promote NC too much! (LOL)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina