Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 06:42 PM
SHR

5 posts, read 15,866 times

Advertisements

Thanks Informer for "putting it on the table". As a widow, I'm looking for a new place to alite. Since my daughter graduated from the university in Durham and my husband was from Charlotte that NC would be an interesting possibility. But as with all things there are pluses and minuses.

Old 04-19-2006, 07:49 PM
SHR

5 posts, read 15,866 times
Thanks, NCKatie - hope I correctly responded to your "post"

Old 04-19-2006, 08:13 PM

143 posts, read 485,611 times
The extreme views of some very religious people are diametrically opposite to the politically-correct orthodoxy of the Left in other parts of the country.
Most rational folks can live mostly without either.

Old 04-19-2006, 10:05 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W
The extreme views of some very religious people are diametrically opposite to the politically-correct orthodoxy of the Left in other parts of the country.
Most rational folks can live mostly without either.
Even within the same state such as Yadkin County vs. Durham County in NC.

Old 04-20-2006, 11:04 AM

58 posts, read 344,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmb
Am I naive to think I can easily adapt to the southern way of life if I wasn't raised in the area? I would love to learn more about it.
I moved down here from NY years ago. There was a bit of culture shock for me (not as many things to do), but no one really looks down on you for not going to church. I am not against going to church, I just don't go. You will be asked on ocassion where you go to church, or if you would like to join a certain church. They do recruit a little more than the army around my area. This has not kept me from having friends or a social life.
So no, you aren't naive to think you can easily adapt to the southern way of life. All you have to do is sit back and relax around here, even at most jobs.

Old 04-20-2006, 11:21 AM

143 posts, read 485,611 times
I'm going to greatly enjoy having Elizabeth Dole as one of my Senators after a lifetime of Teddy Kennedy :-D

Old 04-20-2006, 11:45 AM
gmb gmb started this thread

45 posts, read 289,363 times
The way I look at it, I am just so grateful to have a chance to own a home and a safe place to raise my child, I can deal with being asked where I go to church. I guess my main concern was how it would be handled by the person asking when I tell him/her that I don't belong to a church. I don't want to be thought of as a freak or devil worshipper. It sounds so different than what I am use to since I have never been asked to join a church in my life, but you have to understand what is also happening to CA. I am jealous of you native NC families that can remain where you grew up for years and years. My husband and I have to leave everything we know and our families because the median home price is over 1 million dollars. I am not kidding - our piece of crap rental is for sale and the asking price is 1.4 million dollars!! It is a total dump in need of major repairs. Also, I went to get gas yesterday and it was $3.17 a gallon! Give me a break, we may have mild weather and no humidity, but CA is sure not paradise either. Talk about traffic. I don't think you know traffic until you have driven on the 405 in Los Angeles. It takes over a hour to go like 15 miles in dirty smog air. And don't get me started about our schools. I was actually excited to see how NC schools were rated about 25 in the nation. Our schools are in the bottom 45. To sum it up, I think I am becoming so jaded with how difficult it is to live in CA that I will be grateful for what NC has to offer and will value the differences. I know I am giving up a lot of great things in CA, but if you are working two jobs and have your baby in daycare, where is the time to enjoy life? I sincerely appreciate everyone's comments and thoughts on the matter. It has opened up my eyes and has given me a good perspective about what to expect in NC.

Old 04-20-2006, 12:04 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,214,131 times
to gmb: we moved from CA to SC (outside of Charlotte NC)....you so sound like you are ready for a change. The areas around here are filled with transplants with a few natives sprinkled in. More than not you will be invited to attend someone's church and at the point you can choose to say No, but thank you for asking or Yes, and thank you for asking....either way I have never felt pressure from the individual that has asked me after I have replied. Besides I can think of so many other things in CA that we use to put up with...if the worst you have to worry about in the Carolina's is this....it doesn't sound like to bad of a trade to me. Good luck with what ever you decide!

Old 04-20-2006, 12:29 PM

9 posts, read 33,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmb
The way I look at it, I am just so grateful to have a chance to own a home and a safe place to raise my child, I can deal with being asked where I go to church. I guess my main concern was how it would be handled by the person asking when I tell him/her that I don't belong to a church. I don't want to be thought of as a freak or devil worshipper. It sounds so different than what I am use to since I have never been asked to join a church in my life, but you have to understand what is also happening to CA. I am jealous of you native NC families that can remain where you grew up for years and years. My husband and I have to leave everything we know and our families because the median home price is over 1 million dollars. I am not kidding - our piece of crap rental is for sale and the asking price is 1.4 million dollars!! It is a total dump in need of major repairs. Also, I went to get gas yesterday and it was $3.17 a gallon! Give me a break, we may have mild weather and no humidity, but CA is sure not paradise either. Talk about traffic. I don't think you know traffic until you have driven on the 405 in Los Angeles. It takes over a hour to go like 15 miles in dirty smog air. And don't get me started about our schools. I was actually excited to see how NC schools were rated about 25 in the nation. Our schools are in the bottom 45. To sum it up, I think I am becoming so jaded with how difficult it is to live in CA that I will be grateful for what NC has to offer and will value the differences. I know I am giving up a lot of great things in CA, but if you are working two jobs and have your baby in daycare, where is the time to enjoy life? I sincerely appreciate everyone's comments and thoughts on the matter. It has opened up my eyes and has given me a good perspective about what to expect in NC.

You sound reasonable and in great need of a change. Here is your passport. We'll be expecting you for tea and cake real soon like.

PS Gas is 2.87 in Raleigh this morning.

Old 04-20-2006, 01:54 PM
gmb gmb started this thread

45 posts, read 289,363 times
I think I have just become frustrated by the fact that my husband and I make about $90, 000 a year where we live and we can't even make it! I also think having a 3 month baby has pushed me over the edge with needing change because I feel like we are living in limbo until we can become a homeowner and settle down for our child's sake. I have never moved further than 20 miles from what I know, so change wouldn't hurt me! My main concern about NC was feeling "different" or I should say being treated as if we were different because we aren't from the south and haven't quite learned about the southern culture. It sounds interesting to me and I certainly wouldn't get on any soap box about how "backwards" it is or how where I am from it was done a different way. I just didn't quite understand everyone's initial warnings about it being a bible belt state. It makes more sense now and it honestly doesn't scare me as long as I don't feel like I have to completely let go of my true identity and individualism. However, I do realize if we move to NC we will be the ones with accents!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina