Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 10:39 AM

108 posts, read 374,340 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by dianalee4jc
By the way... the way to get the JWs or the Mormons to stop coming to your door is to try to evangelize THEM! They are actually looking for Christians who are not strong in their faith, because these people are already open to talking about the Bible, but cannot adequately defend the reasons why they believe what they believe. But if you can adequately argue doctine with them, they're not going to invest their time in you.

Cheers,
Diana>>>

Yes, I lived in Utah, which is a completly other story, but they came to me in FL here and tried to convert me again! Being 'Neo-Pagan' and once a Mormon, I invited them in for lemonaid and to chat, and I swear they had to leave because they found themselves agreeing with me WAY to much! hee.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:40 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
Bible Belt

Old 10-12-2006, 10:44 AM

We just received an offer on our house today, which is why I'm typing away at this hour. I'm so excited -- I can't sleep! I'll keep you updated. Please let me know if you'd like any other information you think I can provide, from a SoCal perspective. We visited Morganton, also. Equally beautiful. Asheville is definitely more "city like" than the other two I mentioned.

Take care!

Blueridgebound, I am so happy for you!
From where are you moving from? I dont want to get off subject, but I feel your excitement!!

Old 10-12-2006, 12:14 PM

954 posts, read 4,377,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeBound View Post
GMB and LovetheCarolinas, I'm interested in where you live/lived in CA. We live in Ventura County and recently made an offer in Marion, NC after debating the move for over a year. My husband was offered a job in Asheville so he will still have a bit of a drive from the area. This has been a very informative thread for me. I, also, am a non-church going Christian and I'm a little concerned about how that will be accepted in Marion. However, the people we have met there are all so nice, so caring and very polite. I intend to be respectful of their lifestyles and hope that I will receive the same treatment, in kind.

For those of you who are making the move from CA or already have, I'd love to share information as far as the HUGE move we're about to make cross-country and welcome any tips. (We have 2 kids, 4 cats, a dog and a bird.)

Thank you!

.!
My folks are originally from Marion. I lived in Marion myself for 5 years. My mom and Dad retired back to Marion after they retired (in Detroit). My mom still lives there.
I hope you love it. Go to the Little Sienna for Sunday Buffet. Best thing about living in Marion.

Old 10-12-2006, 02:17 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teressah View Post
As a non-Christian I have read that new-agers and Pagans gallor are flocking to Asheville area, which is a very eco-minded and liberal area, I myself am planning to move there or in that area out west.

It's SC I hear is strongly religous. One gas station there ( I don't know the city ) almost did not let me fill up because my friend's bumpersticker read 'blessed be'

Unbeleiveable I know it sounds, so do a lot of research before you move!!

I know someone with a 'blessed be' bumper sticker, she's actually my sister in-laws sister and lives in Wilmington, she's a Wickin. Wears that devil star jewelery and even put one one on her dog.

Have you looked into Sedona Az, I'm not sure what you budget is but I bet you would love it there.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:03 PM

<<<I find it hard to have others interpret the Bible for me in a public school setting. I find it hard to have choices made based on scripture that I interpret differently. I would prefer more separation of church and state, or in this case, Bible and Union County.
On a positive note, there is never a shortage of people extending words of prayer to you. I work in a hospital, and see the devoutness of the area when people are ill. I suppose that is common in most places.
Have a great day,
Peggy
<<<

I would love it if school started with a little quiet time for prayer or medatation, but noone should be forced to pray Christian prayers if they are not Christian, that makes no sense at all.

Sedona, huh? I have thought of that as well, boy that would be a huge move coming from FL.
Your sis-in-laws sister puts a pentacle around the dogs neck for protection, as a Christian would a cross. Upside down crosses and upside down pentacles are for devil worshipers and I want none of that!

Old 10-12-2006, 06:47 PM

390 posts, read 1,515,462 times
We moved to Charlotte from Michigan 13 years ago and had some pretty serious culture shock, but Charlotte has changed a lot since then. These days, I wouldn't know whether most of my casual acquaintances or coworkers are churchgoers or not, unless I asked. 10 years ago, I was regularly witnessed to (which had NEVER happened in the midwest) and invited to Baptist and Nazarene churches (even though we're regular church goers of a different faith than was common here back then). SO MANY people have moved here from other areas of the country in the last 10 years that it's become a completely different place. I used to fall into mimicking an NC accent, now I can't tell you the last time I heard one. I think you'd have some culture shock coming to Charlotte from CA, but not much more than you'd have moving to any area of the country from CA. It feels like there are more New Yorkers and Ohioans here now than Southerners.

Old 10-12-2006, 07:31 PM

505 posts, read 2,542,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmb View Post
I asked a question earlier about moving to NC from Southern Calif and if there would be culture shock and or fairly liberal communities. Many responses mentioned the fact that it will be quite different from CA because it is the bible belt. Well, what does that really mean? Of course I understand what the bible belt is, but what is living in the bible belt really like? Are you looked down on if you don't go to church? I guess I am confused because where I am from you don't talk about religion and we have our fair share of "new age" spiritual people. I imagine living in the bible belt means there are a lot of Christians, but how will that affect me if I am open to anyone's beliefs but just don't go to church? Am I naive to think I can easily adapt to the southern way of life if I wasn't raised in the area? I would love to learn more about it.
I am jumping in this late. But I was born and raised in rural NC, I have no idea what the bible belt even means. My opinion is it has nothing to do with NC. You are not looked down on if you do not go to church...trust me, I have lived here forever. I don't know how this term even got thrown in with NC. Sure, plenty of people go to church, I did at one time. But I bet there are way more people who do not.

It will be much different here than in California. But not becuase people are christians and real up tight. It will be different because the land looks way different, and we are southern.

There is no bible belt....

Old 10-12-2006, 07:40 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beffrey2 View Post
I am jumping in this late. But I was born and raised in rural NC, I have no idea what the bible belt even means. My opinion is it has nothing to do with NC. You are not looked down on if you do not go to church...trust me, I have lived here forever. I don't know how this term even got thrown in with NC. Sure, plenty of people go to church, I did at one time. But I bet there are way more people who do not.

It will be much different here than in California. But not becuase people are christians and real up tight. It will be different because the land looks way different, and we are southern.

There is no bible belt....
I think this is a pretty good description of the term.

A Bible Belt is an area in which socially conservative Christian Evangelical Protestantism is a pervasive or dominant part of the culture. The term "Bible Belt" was coined by the American journalist and social commentator, H.L. Mencken, in the early 1920s.

In particular, in the United States, it is the region where the Southern Baptist Convention denomination is strongest. It includes the entire South and nearby areas. Bible belts can also be found in other countries, including Canada and some parts of Europe. The name is derived from the heavy emphasis on literal interpretations of the Bible in Evangelical denominations.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:43 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teressah View Post
<<<I find it hard to have others interpret the Bible for me in a public school setting. I find it hard to have choices made based on scripture that I interpret differently. I would prefer more separation of church and state, or in this case, Bible and Union County.
On a positive note, there is never a shortage of people extending words of prayer to you. I work in a hospital, and see the devoutness of the area when people are ill. I suppose that is common in most places.
Have a great day,
Peggy
<<<

I would love it if school started with a little quiet time for prayer or medatation, but noone should be forced to pray Christian prayers if they are not Christian, that makes no sense at all.

Sedona, huh? I have thought of that as well, boy that would be a huge move coming from FL.
Your sis-in-laws sister puts a pentacle around the dogs neck for protection, as a Christian would a cross. Upside down crosses and upside down pentacles are for devil worshipers and I want none of that!

Who is the protector behind the pentacle? Just curious off top but interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina