Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2017, 01:54 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times

Advertisements

Quick question.

I posted on the Raleigh forum and have been looking at housing prices. I'm looking for a 2BR/3BR townhome if I relocate. My budget will be roughly $150k-$175k.

Charlotte seemed to have many more options than Raleigh in this range? Is Raleigh's housing notably higher than in Charlotte overall?

Old 10-07-2017, 07:18 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Quick question.

I posted on the Raleigh forum and have been looking at housing prices. I'm looking for a 2BR/3BR townhome if I relocate. My budget will be roughly $150k-$175k.

Charlotte seemed to have many more options than Raleigh in this range? Is Raleigh's housing notably higher than in Charlotte overall?
Charlotte is geographically much larger than Raleigh. Get closer to Center City, Lake Norman or Ballantyne, it gets expensive pretty fast. But there are plenty of areas like Highland Creek Charlotte, Berewick or NorthLake Charlotte that has those price ranges.

Rough city limits drawing of cities in Mecklenburg County.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:52 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,676,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Quick question.

Yes. Pretty much. The Raleigh area is very attractive.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Charlotte is geographically much larger than Raleigh. Get closer to Center City, Lake Norman or Ballantyne, it gets expensive pretty fast. But there are plenty of areas like Highland Creek Charlotte, Berewick or NorthLake Charlotte that has those price ranges.

Rough city limits drawing of cities in Mecklenburg County.
I knew the city was quite a bit bigger, but I was also looking over the majority of the Raleigh metro. Overall, it just seemed much more expensive than Charlotte, even if you started looking farther out.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:21 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,526 times
Cost of Living Comparison:
Raleigh, North Carolina - Charlotte, North Carolina

Charlotte is 5% cheaper than Raleigh.
Housing is the biggest factor in the cost of living difference.
Housing is 17% cheaper in Charlotte.

Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 10-10-2017 at 07:01 AM..

Old 10-14-2017, 02:05 PM

4 posts, read 17,260 times
Sooo, I can't believe I'm visiting and reading a Charlotte vs Raleigh forum. It seems somewhat 1990s to me.
But I will.
I haven't been to the city of Raleigh in 20 yrs.
I have bypassed on 85 to Richmond and on North.
Driving through Durham was min boggling.
Clearly the NCDOT still has their head in the sand.
While drivers just zippity-do-da through Durham County on a beautiful 3 or 4 lane interstate with streetlights that actually work, (mind you this was like 10yrs ago), Mecklenburg County residents must deal with virtually NO streetlights on the I's... a sad,sad,sad exit lane from 85 to 77 that sees at least 3-5 trucks tip over each month. Oh and the sad exit lane goes from 2 to 1 lane right before you must merge into traffic from Lake Norman commuters. Sometimes it's a standstill, other times its Russian Roulette. 77 is 3 lanes through a county of 1.1 million people. Say who? But, finally some people from Spain showed up and are going to widen 77 but commuters will pay to drive in those new golden lanes. Seriously NCDOT,that's the best you got?
I'll mention that it took Beverly Perdue and over 30yrs to complete 485, our 63mile loop around the county. And you won't be surprised that it's already clogged on probably 30miles of the interstate.
But I will give credit where credit is due, kudos on 85 in Cabarrus County. Though why 85 in Rowan county was widened 20yrs ago is beyond me. I'm gonna go with Elizabeth Dole being a US Senator at the time.
Anywho,
But Raleigh, better, then Charlotte. Maybe, maybe not.
But while ya'll are worrying about it, Charlotte is busy building transit, enjoying pro sports, shopping at Neimans, and building apartment and condo, and office towers uptown. Oh and sitting in traffic, dealing with riots, and watching 13,000 apartments absorbed annually. And 3,500 existing homes sold. And almost 15,000 new home permits in the metro through September . Btw...thats a bit more than Raleigh and Durham.
Our latest goal is reaching 4,000 people per square mile. That's on par with Denver.
Charlotte just enjoys growing, and being hated on by people country wide. I honestly don't hear people mention Raleigh. We talk about Ashville more truth be known.
What we do know is that we are powerful. We can vote Governor's into office and thanks to the I-77 widening travesty and the bathroom controversy , we have the fine voters in Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson and Mooresville who were super pissed at McCrory to thank for getting him out of office. So we vote out Governor's as well.
Bottom line imo is Charlotte and the Triangle bring strength to the table that make North Carolina a better place. We aren't Georgia with one huge metropolitan area. We are two large counties, both with over 1million people. Together we are home to almost 25% of the States population. But then there's the triad, Wilmington, Asheville, Fayetteville. Instead of state infighting, let's think bigger, like becoming a destination state for European travelers. Raleigh and Charlotte could become friends and rule the world, that's how we look at things here. New residents are required to become involved in something, volunteer work, tutoring, watching kids at crosswalks, etc. But fighting against one another when in the end we all want the same thing isn't accepted.

Old 10-15-2017, 02:57 PM

Charlotte & Raleigh biggest problem is the NC GA. They treat us like a red head step child. They see Charlotte & Raleigh as a good place to put toll roads to fund roads to nowhere in other parts of the state. We are the cash cows of the NC GA.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:52 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,034,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMaddison View Post
Sooo, I can't believe I'm visiting and reading a Charlotte vs Raleigh forum. It seems somewhat 1990s to me.
But I will.
I haven't been to the city of Raleigh in 20 yrs.
I have bypassed on 85 to Richmond and on North.
Driving through Durham was min boggling.
Clearly the NCDOT still has their head in the sand.
While drivers just zippity-do-da through Durham County on a beautiful 3 or 4 lane interstate with streetlights that actually work, (mind you this was like 10yrs ago), Mecklenburg County residents must deal with virtually NO streetlights on the I's... a sad,sad,sad exit lane from 85 to 77 that sees at least 3-5 trucks tip over each month. Oh and the sad exit lane goes from 2 to 1 lane right before you must merge into traffic from Lake Norman commuters. Sometimes it's a standstill, other times its Russian Roulette. 77 is 3 lanes through a county of 1.1 million people. Say who? But, finally some people from Spain showed up and are going to widen 77 but commuters will pay to drive in those new golden lanes. Seriously NCDOT,that's the best you got?
I'll mention that it took Beverly Perdue and over 30yrs to complete 485, our 63mile loop around the county. And you won't be surprised that it's already clogged on probably 30miles of the interstate.
But I will give credit where credit is due, kudos on 85 in Cabarrus County. Though why 85 in Rowan county was widened 20yrs ago is beyond me. I'm gonna go with Elizabeth Dole being a US Senator at the time.
Anywho,
But Raleigh, better, then Charlotte. Maybe, maybe not.
But while ya'll are worrying about it, Charlotte is busy building transit, enjoying pro sports, shopping at Neimans, and building apartment and condo, and office towers uptown. Oh and sitting in traffic, dealing with riots, and watching 13,000 apartments absorbed annually. And 3,500 existing homes sold. And almost 15,000 new home permits in the metro through September . Btw...thats a bit more than Raleigh and Durham.
Our latest goal is reaching 4,000 people per square mile. That's on par with Denver.
Charlotte just enjoys growing, and being hated on by people country wide. I honestly don't hear people mention Raleigh. We talk about Ashville more truth be known.
What we do know is that we are powerful. We can vote Governor's into office and thanks to the I-77 widening travesty and the bathroom controversy , we have the fine voters in Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson and Mooresville who were super pissed at McCrory to thank for getting him out of office. So we vote out Governor's as well.
Bottom line imo is Charlotte and the Triangle bring strength to the table that make North Carolina a better place. We aren't Georgia with one huge metropolitan area. We are two large counties, both with over 1million people. Together we are home to almost 25% of the States population. But then there's the triad, Wilmington, Asheville, Fayetteville. Instead of state infighting, let's think bigger, like becoming a destination state for European travelers. Raleigh and Charlotte could become friends and rule the world, that's how we look at things here. New residents are required to become involved in something, volunteer work, tutoring, watching kids at crosswalks, etc. But fighting against one another when in the end we all want the same thing isn't accepted.
It'll be a LONG time before that goal is met. Gotta hit 3,000 people per square mile first.

Other then that. Pretty much agree with everything else. Even though i actually doubt there's really all that much animosity between the two cities/regions. Might just seem that way because its the internet. I think they're far enough apart and so different that the average person doesn't compare the two very often. I live in Raleigh and work throughout eastern NC as well as up into the Hampton Roads, VA region and i never hear the word "Charlotte." And again i completely believe probably for the most part that is true for those down in Charlotte as well.

I have family in Greensboro and anytime i am over there is usually when i start hearing the Raleigh vs Charlotte debates honestly. Im assuming with the Triad being smack dab in the middle of the two, people think more about where to go for more shopping or other live events that maybe the Triad doesnt offer.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:43 AM

North Carolina would not be growing so fast without Charlotte and Raleigh.
Raleigh is moving up to 500,00 people and Charlotte is ready to crack 900,000 people.

I have family in Raleigh and may friends in Charlotte. We never compare the two cities.

Both have things that other city does not have, but show me 2 cities that just alike.

Charlotte is adding more people per year than any city in the state, and you you can see it in the traffic every day.
Raleigh is second in the state for adding people.

So North Carolina would not be showing all it great gains in economic growth without Charlotte & Raleigh.

What is the big problem in NC is we have too many counties that are losing population and jobs.
I hope we can see a turn around to this problem soon.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
North Carolina would not be growing so fast without Charlotte and Raleigh.
Raleigh is moving up to 500,00 people and Charlotte is ready to crack 900,000 people.

I have family in Raleigh and may friends in Charlotte. We never compare the two cities.

Both have things that other city does not have, but show me 2 cities that just alike.

Charlotte is adding more people per year than any city in the state, and you you can see it in the traffic every day.
Raleigh is second in the state for adding people.

So North Carolina would not be showing all it great gains in economic growth without Charlotte & Raleigh.

What is the big problem in NC is we have too many counties that are losing population and jobs.
I hope we can see a turn around to this problem soon.
That's basically all over the country. Most mid-sized states have one, or maybe a few, metros that are doing well, while the small towns and rural areas suffer.

Here in Tennessee, Nashville grabs the lion's share of prosperity, Knoxville and Chattanooga take the rest, and everyone else is hovering around zero growth or back into recession. My metro has been in recession since 2013.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina